Who made you what you are?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 8. Feb 2010, 01:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

I was thinking of all the people who have been my strongest influences, and how they have helped to shape my personality.

My mother............. She instilled in me a very strong work ethic. My mother always had a job at a time when most mothers stayed at home. She was ahead of her time in that respect. She was a role model for me, and she proved that women can combine a career and motherhood successfully. I then continued this tradition, and I am proud to say that my daughter is doing too.

My father............ He was a journalist, and the house was always full of newspapers and books. He influenced my love of language and literature, which I later went on to study. He also taught me to question things, and never to just accept things at face value.

My sister............. She is 5 years older than me, and was a great influence on me as I was growing up. If I ever had a problem, she would be there to help me sort it out. She is still my big sister, and she is still there for me.

My grandparents.............. They gave me so much love, and they had so much patience with me, even when I was a stroppy teenager. My Grandma was an artist, so my love of art definitely stems from her influence. My Grandad was a master baker, and I love to bake bread, so I think that is in my blood too.

Who made you what you are :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh that’s easy Joan the marques de Sade! :mrgreen:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Well you said it, not me :!: :shock: :lol::lol:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    That was the easy part, Rehab :!: :lol: But who influenced you after that to become the person you are today :?:
  • mellman01
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Well it's quite easy really .. there are birds and bee's... and ..

Yep and whips hot wax and a gimp mask, oh and don't forget the nipple clamps and baby oil!!! :wink: :oops:
  • mellman01
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Easy answer, no one person was influential in the finished article that is Rehab44. Rehab44 was forged by institutions.

And there's me thinking you were a T 1000 cyborg with an Austrian accent?
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Oooh, good question.

My biggest influence is me dad. You ask anyone who knows us and they all say ''she's her father's daughter'' stubborn, determined, fair agmonst some similarities.

My dad has always encouraged me to be my own person and never follow the pack. He always tells me to try harder even after telling him I passed any exam. My dad had a strong work ethic and would go in no matter how poorly with RA or any of his other problems because he had a family to support and set an example to. In his last year at work I used to be his taxi on bad days just so he could go in and not let anyone down.

It's now even more so as I am following him with the old RA. Even the doctors and the rhuemy comments on us. He comes with me for my appointments and tries to get me into as much trouble as possible! Now he's my taxi on the bad days if he's good!

The latest joke for us is 'it's all in the genes'. He keeps telling me to stop wearing his jeans.....you get my drift.
    Pluggx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Easy answer, no one person was influential in the finished article that is Rehab44. Rehab44 was forged by institutions.

I always thought you were the reincarnation of Spike Milligan :!:

Anyway, if you were forged by institutions, how have they influenced your personality, and in what ways :?:

Joan ( ever hopeful of a serious reply :!: )
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Oooh, good question.

My biggest influence is me dad. You ask anyone who knows us and they all say ''she's her father's daughter'' stubborn, determined, fair agmonst some similarities.

My dad has always encouraged me to be my own person and never follow the pack. He always tells me to try harder even after telling him I passed any exam. My dad had a strong work ethic and would go in no matter how poorly with RA or any of his other problems because he had a family to support and set an example to. In his last year at work I used to be his taxi on bad days just so he could go in and not let anyone down.

It's now even more so as I am following him with the old RA. Even the doctors and the rhuemy comments on us. He comes with me for my appointments and tries to get me into as much trouble as possible! Now he's my taxi on the bad days if he's good!

The latest joke for us is 'it's all in the genes'. He keeps telling me to stop wearing his jeans.....you get my drift.
    Pluggx

Thank you, Plugg. A serious reply at last :!: Your Dad sounds brilliant, and I like the joke about the jeans :!:
  • bobbid
    bobbid Member Posts: 85
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. A bit of self-analysis is a good exercise for people to do. If only we could see ourselves objectively as other people do, we would be the better for it - me included!

My parents gave me all the material things I wanted and more but they had very busy lives - father away in the army, mother a university lecturer - so they never had much time for me. I suppose that made me quite independent from an early age, along with being sent to boarding school. I spent a lot of time playing with my older brother when I was small but because of our age difference he always won at all the games - so this I think is the reason for my very competitive nature now.

My athletics coach when I was about 15 was the first person to ever praise me for anything and he went on to build up my self-confidence and sense of self-worth. He taught me how to achieve success by hard work and dedication. So I am very grateful to him.

BobbiD
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Tis a pleasure Joan.

God help me if he reads me posting....I'll never hear the last of it!
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    at this moment in time think my dad has a lot to answer to he was riddled with uncle arther , RIP dad xxx
    myself i learnt to be strong and take no bull s--t .
    and most of all my sole mate my hubby and my kids x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    bobbid wrote:
    This is an interesting thread. A bit of self-analysis is a good exercise for people to do. If only we could see ourselves objectively as other people do, we would be the better for it - me included!

My parents gave me all the material things I wanted and more but they had very busy lives - father away in the army, mother a university lecturer - so they never had much time for me. I suppose that made me quite independent from an early age, along with being sent to boarding school. I spent a lot of time playing with my older brother when I was small but because of our age difference he always won at all the games - so this I think is the reason for my very competitive nature now.

My athletics coach when I was about 15 was the first person to ever praise me for anything and he went on to build up my self-confidence and sense of self-worth. He taught me how to achieve success by hard work and dedication. So I am very grateful to him.

BobbiD

Hi Bobbi

I also had to learn to be independent from an early age, and sometimes I resented it, wishing that my parents would fuss round me in the same way that I saw other people's parents doing. But now I think it was a good thing to learn to do things for myself, and not always to rely on others.

Position in the family plays a big part in forming character, so your competitive nature was almost certainly formed by having an older brother. But independence and a competitive spirit are no bad thing for a woman to have.

I'm glad that your athletics coach inspired you to realise your self-confidence and self-worth.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well my mum who taught me to care and listen but not take any crap.
    my dad how to strip an engine down and not loose your rag if you got bit left over when it back together again
    exboy friend who taught me how to be strong not the best leson lol
    officers in the gntc who helped build my confidance and shoot a gun also paddle a canoelol
    my oh who taught me to be my self and be happy about it
    my gran who showed me how to love with out expecting anything in return bless her
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Don't think any one person was reponsible.....as the eldest of a very large and very extended family was stood on my own two feet from the age of dot.

Mum taught me to read, nanna taught me to knit and crochet, dad taught me how to catch and cook a hedgehog..............he also taught me how to drink and how to look out for myself in more ways than one. He also taught me to make the most of any chances or opportunities which happened to come along. Maybe Dad had the greater input, but I'm not at all like him. Grandad taught me all I know about plants and animals and wildlife and also showed me how interesting all natural things are.

Think I must be a combined effort!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    valval wrote:
    my dad how to strip an engine down and not loose your rag if you got bit left over when it back together again
    officers in the gntc who helped build my confidance and shoot a gun also paddle a canoelol
    my gran who showed me how to love with out expecting anything in return bless her

Hi Val

I am impressed :!: :!: Stripping engines, shooting guns, and paddling canoes :!: :!: Wow :!:

Your gran was very wise in her example to you. To love without expecting anything in return is the hardest thing of all.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    valval wrote:

Hi Val

I am impressed :!: :!: Stripping engines, shooting guns, and paddling canoes :!: :!: Wow :!:

Your gran was very wise in her example to you. To love without expecting anything in return is the hardest thing of all.

yes but i not sure i learnt the lesson very well but do try to follow the example she set
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Don't think any one person was reponsible.....as the eldest of a very large and very extended family was stood on my own two feet from the age of dot.

Mum taught me to read, nanna taught me to knit and crochet, dad taught me how to catch and cook a hedgehog..............he also taught me how to drink and how to look out for myself in more ways than one. He also taught me to make the most of any chances or opportunities which happened to come along. Maybe Dad had the greater input, but I'm not at all like him. Grandad taught me all I know about plants and animals and wildlife and also showed me how interesting all natural things are.

Think I must be a combined effort!

Annie

Hi Annie

I wonder what hedgehog tastes like :?:

I suppose we are all a combined effort in a way, because so many people influence us, not just when we are young, but all through our lives.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Val

Your gran was very wise in her example to you. To love without expecting anything in return is the hardest thing of all.[/quote]

Actually Joan I think its quite easy, people or animals :D x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    at this moment in time think my dad has a lot to answer to he was riddled with uncle arther , RIP dad xxx
    myself i learnt to be strong and take no bull s--t .
    and most of all my sole mate my hubby and my kids x

Hi Bertyboy

Your Dad probably showed you how to be strong if he had arthur so badly. I'm glad you found your soulmate to help you along your way.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val

Actually Joan I think its quite easy, people or animals :D x[/quote]

Hi Cris

Animals, yes I agree. With people I wish it were so easy, although I think that is how we SHOULD love.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Val

Actually Joan I think its quite easy, people or animals :D x

Hi Cris

Animals, yes I agree. With people I wish it were so easy, although I think that is how we SHOULD love.[/quote]

Well Joan I have to say I do it all the time..... and well i recon its easy....... Unconditional love they call it I think? Hope Tommy and your oh are ok? x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Cris

Yes, unconditional love I understand very well.

Tommy is very well, thank you. He is sleeping beside me as I type. I'm very well too, and the black dog has gone back to his kennel, I'm pleased to say. Thank you very much for everything you did to help me to send him there.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Quote BoobiD.

Our PE teacher use to cain us and or make us run around in a blizard to give us self confidence!, he even broke a kids leg demonstrating a rugby tackle one day!. By but we were happy in them day's!. :mrgreen:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Quote BoobiD.

Our PE teacher use to cain us and or make us run around in a blizard to give us self confidence!, he even broke a kids leg demonstrating a rugby tackle one day!. By but we were happy in them day's!. :mrgreen:

Wot, only one leg :?: :?: That was a bit of a soft school, wasn't it :?:
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Options
    I come from a line of `strong matriacal' women who have fought like tigers for their homes and families - even taking on their husbands in fights to the bitter end! These were `warrior women' who took no nonsence and yet were the most generous and patient. My great-grandmother who was 93 when I was 8 suffered uncomplainingly of a dislocated hip that she had for decades and horrendus leg ulcers which my aunts cleaned and dutifully dressed daily - I still associate the smell of T.c.p with her. She took back both my aunts who came to her when one became a widdow and the others marradge had fell appart at a time when it was a huge social sigma - Granny May Turner did'nt give a monkeys-she was protecting her own! My own mother fights a daily battel with nasty illnesses such as Bullous Pemphgoide, Osteoafur,Extensive inoperable Diverticular disease, a Breast Cancer survivour and now possibly Bowel cancer! She has a unstable left leg and hip porblems again. Tigeresss ,pugnatious, tenatious and bomb-proof! But also my disabled husband, my best friend Jenny, a new friend Kathy and all of you! Thanks guys :D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx