late bookings,are they cheaper?

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 16. Feb 2010, 14:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am thinking in the half term week, if its not snowing again!!!, to have a trip to the seaside, no paddling, and considering staying the night.
I have looked at main hotel chains, tourist information etc and wonder the best way or route to take.
Should i book direct with a hotel, should i book now or would i get a better deal on the day or would there be no rooms on the day, is it best to book with hotel direct or through one of these sites that say they have huge discounts?
any comments, experience or ideas?
I rang one hotel i fancied staying at and you can cancel up to the night before without charge....just incase it snows etc or the back goes on me and cant walk!!

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Oneday,

Hope your doing ok? I recon it depends on where your going. If its the UK I still don't know but down this end there is an in season price and out of season price and the only time you get good deals (except the ones who are starting up) is if the rain came for the summer and they have had a load of cancellations. Our season starts early this year cus Easter is so early again. Hey hope where ever you get to you enjoy it though. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    look up late deals on internet even if you phone hotel you can use the price to make sure they give you good price . got one in skegness the other year and they let us have internet price even though it was cheeper than they had just quote lol. depends on each hotel but worth checking out
    val
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Yes oneday, look up all the Heart of England accredited guest houses in the area - I take it you'll be driving as some may be just out side the seaside area and then choose a place you like the look of. They tend to be very good qulaity and I would hate you to turn up and find you had `fawlty towers' at eg blackpool doss house! Also have a look at farm guest houses on the net as they can be great too with home cooked, locally sorced food. Have a great time and can we come too? xxxx :D
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    We usually choose through http://www.smoothhound.co.uk who have thousands of places online. We then go via their links to the hotel/guest house site for more info. and/or book directly online via email with the actual hotel. The hotel very often email back within minutes and its all sorted in about ten to fifteen minutes.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    I have saved my husband a fortune with late booking during the week for work....
    laterooms i think?
    Toni x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Hi all,
    thanks for the info........will never get of this computer with all the surfing.!!!!!!