Can't wait until my 80th birthday

Options
moonseed
moonseed Member Posts: 289
edited 8. Feb 2010, 10:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Dear all,

I have just received a letter from the Pension "Service" telling me that if I am over 80 ( which, thank God I'm not), I will receive another 25 pence per week.
HOW HAVE THEY GOT THE B....Y NERVE TO PUT THIS IN BLACK AND WHITE.
I am absolutely "gob-smacked.

Disgusted, angry, in total disbelief.
What an absolute INSULT to our very senior citizens.
Steph x

PS Thank goodness I've got a long way to go otherwise I would tell them what they could do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well the first class stamp cost 39p bit of papar 1p and envelope 1p so 42p to tell you that and it does not even affect you what a silly waste of money
    val
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Got a letter recently saying I was entitled to 10p an week pension, so when I am 80 maybe it will be 35p - can't wait till I'm 80 also, just think of all the things I'll be able to do with 35p,
    maudx
  • moonseed
    Options
    maud48 wrote:
    Got a letter recently saying I was entitled to 10p an week pension, so when I am 80 maybe it will be 35p - can't wait till I'm 80 also, just think of all the things I'll be able to do with 35p,
    maudx

Hi there Maud,

Bless you Maud. That's exactly what my OH and myself have been doing for the last hour or so.
    And as Val says in her post above, It doesn't even buy a 1st class stamp.
    I don't think it would even buy a 2nd class one!
    It actually adds up to a whopping £12.00 per year. Just think what we could do with that!!!
    God bless,
    Steph x
  • moonseed
    Options
    valval wrote:
    well the first class stamp cost 39p bit of papar 1p and envelope 1p so 42p to tell you that and it does not even affect you what a silly waste of money

Hi there Val,
    Yep, your so right. Just think of all these letters/pamphlets they've sent out. It must come to thousands of £'s which means they could at least have given the over 80's an extra 30p per week.

Sorry, I'm not being rude, I'm just so furious about it. AND they have the cheek to print it in black and white.

Love Steph x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    Dear all,

I have just received a letter from the Pension "Service" telling me that if I am over 80 ( which, thank God I'm not), I will receive another 25 pence per week.

Steph x

PS Thank goodness I've got a long way to go otherwise I would tell them what they could do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Steph
    I really think this is so insulting like you said. It beggers belief that they can do this. Think it was 5p when my aunt was alive in 1995, she died in 1999 and she was 102. so it has gone up a bit.

Are you going to write to them?
    I know I am always saying this to everyone but it doesn't do any harm to write to your MP. That's what he's there for. Let them work for their £10k expenses.
    Joy
  • moonseed
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    moonseed wrote:
    Dear all,

Steph x

Hello Steph
    I really think this is so insulting like you said. It beggers belief that they can do this. Think it was 5p when my aunt was alive in 1995, she died in 1999 and she was 102. so it has gone up a bit.

Are you going to write to them?
    I know I am always saying this to everyone but it doesn't do any harm to write to your MP. That's what he's there for. Let them work for their £10k expenses.
    Joy

Hello Joy,

Thanks for your input. I am in touch with my MP already about a number of things.
    She is being told lies, lies, and more lies by big corporations. I think I have opened a can of worms on a few fronts. It is taking a lot of sorting out and probably years of any meaningful/positive decisions to be made.

I don't think she will appreciate another problem added to the list just now but will think of addressing it in the future.

Love Steph x

PS. My Father will be 100 years old in May. What do you think he's worth, another 40p per week!!!!!!.
    He could go out and have a good centenary on that couldn't he?
  • moonseed
    Options
    Hi Steph

I'm playing devil's advocate here, because I agree with what you say, but it's not all bad - my dad was 80 last year, and he got £400 winter fuel payment. The fact that he doesn't actually NEED that money is another issue - but I do understand why that isn't means tested - the people who really do need it would more than likely miss out then. But that £400 will (apparently) cover their fuel bills for the whole year!!!!

Love,Lynn xx

HI Lynn,

I take your point Lyn and agree wholeheartedly.
    I think the point I'm trying to make is the fact that they have printed such a paltry amount in black and white for everyone to see and bluntly, it's embarrassing for anyone 80 or over to read this. How must it make them feel?
    I mean to say, a new born baby gets in the region of £200 or something like that to be put into savings for their future. Brilliant, I have no problem with that at all.
    But then they go to the other extreme and award an eighty year old 25 bloody pence.
    I mean, don't you think they feel bad enough already knowing they haven't got much longer on this earth, without having insults like this thrown at them. I think it's disgusting.
    And, as was mentioned earlier, I am only 66, so why are they telling me?
    I am pleased for your Dad anyway. To have reached his age in this Country is a fete in itself these days.
    Sorry I've got on my high horse but I'm so angry.
    Love Steph x