Partners

Options
bobbid
bobbid Member Posts: 85
edited 10. Feb 2010, 05:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
All this talk of love and romance, is making a single girl like me feel very left out. So perhaps I can learn something from those of you who have been successful at finding and holding on to a partner.

So please would you reveal how you met your current husband/wife/partner/lover and how long you have been together.

Thank you in anticipation.

Bobbi D

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    was going out with his friend lol met at badminton he was playing i was watching. been together 26 years we r two halfs of a whole and he makes me laugh what more can you ask for
    val
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Hi,

I met Dave my husband 10 years ago at his sister in law to bes hen do, where I was the chief Bridsmade. We spent littrally the whole day of the wedding together and we have been together ever since. We laugh, we cry, we chat like mates, we support each other, we love one another and we argue!!! We got married 6 years ago and we have 2 children 4 and 2 years. We work hard to get on and work at things when things get tough. We both have our own space and we are just so relaxed about each other there is no secrets or trying to be people who we arnt. The children are in bed at 7pm so we have our time. Sometimes we are sat on different couches watching TV's hardly not talking but it really doesnt matter because when we do its great. We can sit for a while and not talk and not feel uncomfortable or guilty. Our best friends have recently split up and they had a lot of money, but we have stuggled for a while but it all makes it worth while when you have to work at it and really work together to make a difference. We are more in love today then when we met and more than when we were getting married on our wedding day .

Hope this helps. We never made a lot out of anything and never took it all 2 serious at the beginning. We enjoyed every moment and worked at it lots.

xxxxxxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    I met my hubby at a club. He was in a group, playing a guitar also he was lead singer.

We went out together, then got engaged. Then we married, I knew at my wedding that we would be together for the rest of our life's hubby also said the same thing.

Give and take, caring for one another, no jealousy, trust, is a recipe for a happy relationship.

We still are in love with each other even now.

Trish
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Met hubby at a ballroom dancing class in 19soaking wet, been together 48 years, it's our 45th wedding anniversary this year in September.

Annie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    We met at a local nightclub 34 years ago and have been married 31 of those.

The success of our relationship is communication on all levels. :wink:

......and with conversation it's not just waiting for your turn to speak, it's actually listening to and understanding what the other person is saying.

Luv Legs who's still in love h025.gif
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    met my soul mate at a club first time i had been in one after escaping a violent abusive marriage , not only did he take me on but 3 little ones under 5 who all think of him as dad , but if there had been any problems with the little ones , the relationship would not have worked we have been together for 31 years and married for 29 this year x we have a son together we are a family :D
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Met Gill when i went down to see a mate of mine just after having my right shoulder replaced and have a look at at his then 486 dx2 computer back in 1993. i'd never met Gill before so when she brought some coffee's up for us blokes (4 of us in a small room crowded round his pc) i looked up saw her and smiled as i said hi and kept looking at her, then as she was about to leave i winked at her.
    Apparently she says she had the shakes when she got downstairs after i'd winked at her and that was it, we arranged for my mate and his wife and Gill and i to go see jurassic park at our local cinema, there was no holding of hands as to be honest i was nervous and tongue tied as hell and besides going to a cinema ain't exactly best place to get to know someone. So after having coffee Gill and i left together to get our repective buses, on the way down she stopped and said "are you going to hold my hand or what?".
    What the "or what" bit was is anybodies guess as her bus was approaching so it was a quick peck on the cheek and the rest as they say is history.
    Not the most romantic story in the world but it works for us :wink:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Meet the war office through the CB would you believe!, I use to have a late night talk show on there where I/we use to discus the topic of the day with any poor bugger within transmition range of me/us, her father use to chat to me and a few occasions I had popped round to his house when he had radio problems and the rest is history!. :roll:
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I met my soulmate on the 13th April, 1992. (I had been married twice before, that's history. ) He is a very patient, kind and funny person We make each other laugh. We married on the 26th July 1997. my birthday.

I never thought I would be so lucky after the previous two marriages. The first one was to the father of my children, who I loved very much, but he went off with someone else. When I look back, I could see the mistakes I made that made that marriage fail. I then got married again on the rebound. fatal. He was an alcoholic. But, as I said that's history now.

When you meet someone, never put them on a pedastal, never try to change them. Just be comfortable with the way they are.

If you go through life and do not meet anyone, then that is probably the way it was meant to be. Just be happy with your life. Sometimes friends are just as important.

Joy

J
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    These stories are wonderful.And Fester thats the way to do it...a cheeky wink!
    I met my partner at a party in a field in Belgium.Well actually his best friend got there first but really I only had eyes for him across the room.I had only just finished with another guy and there were lots of guys vying for my attention.I was slim and blonde in those days!
    After that he kept turning up at the same places(prob cos his friend told him where we were going).I knew we just had to get together and eventually in Kettering a few weeks later we spent all Saturday chatting.There was another guy I also liked who asked me out on the Friday so i was in a dilemma.Which one to choose?
    well Rick came home to my house and we have been together ever since.Our son was born 12 months later and had 2 more since.
    There is a physical attraction...that helps although today he said I look like Rab C Nesbitts wife!also I trust him totally and he goes out alone a lot for a break.He cant remember my birthday, he never buys me stuff but I am convinced he cares.Having 2 children on autistic spectrum I can see a lot of traits in him so thats my excuse for his odd behaviour.I am very protective of him,and we have been together 13 years this June.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Oh thesse are lovely stories :!: :D

Lovely to hear eh Bobbi - must give you hope of finding Mr Right :)

Met my husband at the school gate....kids and our ex m-in-laws did a spot of match-making!

Ther's hope for all of us I promise :wink:
    Love

Toni xx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I found my husband when I was eighteen, at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. I was twenty when we married, and my first son was born six weeks before my twenty first birthday, and my second when I was twenty four. We had a wonderful, long marriage. Many ups and downs, but our love never wavered.

I lost him nine years ago this coming March 30th. I have never felt totally complete since.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww what lovely stories...when you think about it, they are true love stories...I met my other half on the street (well I was walking along with my friend...and he came past on his motor bike...asked me did I want ride on it....and that was that.
    We married in 1969, like someone else said he dosn't buy cards or bring me flowers..and we have had our up and downs..but he is always there for me...and has really put up with so much since i got Arthur...but nothing is too much trouble.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    This is such a romantic thread, I love it, a wink, a look across the room, a smile...... who needs flowers and cards (although a few chocs wouldn't go amiss :lol::lol: ) ....this is a perfect thread with Valentine's Day looming.

We could all have a chapter in a book ....and donate the money to help kill off arthur..... see love conquers all :wink:

Luv Legs who's misty eyed now :roll:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, some friends set us up on a blind date, got on very well straight away, wouldn't say it was love at first sight but it soon grew into love, got engaged after 7 months, moved together after 8 months, married after 2 years, been together now for about 15 years, still very much in love despite all our problems love Jaspercatxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi
    Everybody was camping in the field but there was a social room on the site too....incase I confused anyone.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Met my Twinkle on Christmas eve 1958 and we've been
    an item ever since. We married on 26th March 1960.
    We laugh a lot but never at each other and she is very
    kind and understanding but not always forgiving.
    I think the kids may be planning something for the 26th
    of next month.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Lovely thread
    i first met OH when we were 15, i didnt take much notice of him :roll: met again properly at about 17, become very good friends, he chased me for ages i finally gave in.
    weve been together16yrs this year :lol:
    if we could have seen in to the future i would have been doing the chasing and he would have run a mile, poor bugger hes got me for life now :lol:
  • bobbid
    bobbid Member Posts: 85
    Options
    A big thank you to all the contributors on this thread. What wonderful true life love stories you have written. I have found them really uplifting and encouraging. Thank you also for the words of wisdom and advice which some of you included.

:D

Bobbi D
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hello,

I meet my fiancee back in 2005. My partner was on an operational tour in Kosovo and we came across each other over an internet chat site! We sent each other intereactive flowers for weeks, then my partner started sending my bouqets of flowers every week (must have cost a fortune!) then i started getting boxes of sweets/teddys/card and i sent gifts. Then my patner came to the UK on a 96 hour pass and the rest is history! We got engaged in autum 2005 and i got my ring on arrival in the UK. We have been living together since January 2006 and will celebrate out 5 year anniverary later this year.

We as a couple in the early days were seperated alot what with exercises/guard duties it made us stronger! My partner has stood by me since i got RA and we have been through alot before that.

X
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    of next month.

Congratulations Ichy...Ours is 25th March, but three years after you!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Have been with my husband for 33 years but have known him for 36 years. We met through Dateline in the days of form filling - no computers then :!: :roll: :D:lol::lol: We know 4 other couples who did that within a couple of years of us and are still together. :D

My daughter who is 30 years old now also did similar and she has been with her partner 4 years in less than a month's time and is sooooooooooo blissfully happy. He was the first fellah she met after paying the fee although membership was valid for 6 months.

My son who is 28 years old met his partner 11 years ago at a night club. One of his mates pushed him into her and her friend on the dance floor. That was how they were introduced :lol::D She is a year younger than him. They now have an 18 month old daughter.

Elna x :D
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • malc7747
    malc7747 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Met my wife in 1967 when she was baby sitting at my cousins. Proposed 3 days later and its our Ruby wedding anniversary in July.

Know idea where the years have gone but they have all been good ones together getting old together, and we still have many more left to go.

Malc

:D:D
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    of next month.

Oh, how lovely. Bless you both
    You must come back and tell us all about it. Have a happy day

Joy
  • tkachev
    Options
    I do hope all you about to celebrate special anniversaries will let us know just beforehand so we can send you our best wishes....

All the best Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein