Help for Pain

Options
malc7747
malc7747 Member Posts: 73
Hi everyone,

Thought I would ask for help in managing my pains.

At 62 and still working full time I have neck pain and shoulder pain in my right shoulder, and have been coming on worse over the last few years.

Really they are rather like tooth ache that doesn't go away and seem worse in the night when I have to get up, and put up with them in the day at work (mostly at a PC) but get fed up and a bit grumpy.

I only take pain killers as a last resort as I consider that giving in to my body and they are Solpadol effervescent 30/500mg but am using them more than in the past.

My Tens machine will also be used and hopefully I will get the settings right and the pad positions.

Does anyone know of any pain management courses or tips as I am prepared to try anything to help.

Sorry if I have bored you with my story.

best wishes to you all
Malc
:oops:

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Malc
    I'm pleased you've contacted us - and stories from our forum users are never boring.
    People manage their pain in a variety of ways but there are some general principles and tips.
    Pain in the neck and shoulders is often made worse by tension in the muscles. Learn some relaxation techniques - a simple one to start is just to drop the shoulders (you'd be surprised how high they've got) and then roll them gently and slowly. Learn to breathe deeply and slowly concentrating just on your breath. Counting to 7 in and 11 out is a common technique. Take breaks from your computer to do this.
    Distraction techniques can also help - focus your attention on your immediate surroundings, patterns in furniture or curtains, grains in wood, light & shadow. How does the furniture feel, warm, cool, soft, hard? Listen to the sounds around you, what do you hear?
    If you don't like taking painkillers you might want to try acupuncture or Alexander technique.
    There are lots of self help books around & the following links will get you to information on these and our pain management courses
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Managingpain
    http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6024/6024.asp
    Another good book is 'Managing Arthritis Pain' by Jo Clough. You can find it on line via Google.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • malc7747
    Options
    Hi Val,

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I will have a try at what you suggest and will also look at the links and ordering the book.

Its nice to know there is some one I can tell how I feel as the people who I am in contact with daily must get fed up of me moaning.

best wishes

Malc
    :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Malc,
    Just to say welcome, nobody on this forum will get fed up of you haveing a moan....we all know to some extent what you are going through.
    We all go through bad times, when we need to talk to someone...and we are here to support each other...it will do you good to talk to people.
    You take care
    Barbara.
    Love
    Barbara
  • malc7747
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Many thanks for being understanding and its nice to know people are there to talk to. I am sure there are people who have a lot more aches and pains than me and never moan and have no-one to talk to.

Best wishes
    Malc