college courses to boost our confidence and careers ?

Options
bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 15. Feb 2010, 05:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went to university a long time ago..studied geography ..but never used it

was thinking of returning to do a nursing course, but it would be too much

thinking of doing a health and social care course ?..maybe I will still be able to help others using this

but what other course have people done at college ?

I did a computer learners course for a while, and also aromatherapy

Comments

• nuttynana
    nuttynana Member Posts: 44
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bluebeard

I have just completed an Open University Degree in Social Work - hard work as working full-time too and quite a mature student - 49!!! but oh what a feeling of achievement...

Not that it is right for everyone, and on reflection I do wonder why I did it, my health has suffered, and I am actually off sick at present. It does give purpose and focus with you life and as already said the achievement feeling is huge.

I would say go for something you are interested in and study something that is not too huge to start with - I had to resit a year due to health and it really set me back - think you have to set small goals and it makes it so worthwhile when you make it.

Go for it!!!

Hazel x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi BB
    I done a part time course in pottery about 10 yrs ago i really liked it done it for 2 yrs. would love to go back to it but hands and wrist are not good so dont think i would be able to do it.
    i also done art and very basic computer course, it was that basic they even told us how to turn comp on :lol:
    these i done all for fun
    for work i done a 2yr course in Early years childcare, i enjoyed all the courses.
    good luck with whatever you decide to do. alot of courses start in Sept but some start after Easter, maybe you could go to your nearest collage and ask them for advice on choosing a course to suit you.
    how about learning a language?
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Why not try an on-line course, I am doing 'Elffin Safety' you get an HCFE award

Can you do languages online Rehab? Had enough of classrooms, and conference rooms.......Ange.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    bluebeard wrote:
    I went to university a long time ago..studied geography ..but never used it

was thinking of returning to do a nursing course, but it would be too much

thinking of doing a health and social care course ?..maybe I will still be able to help others using this

but what other course have people done at college ?

I did a computer learners course for a while, and also aromatherapy

Have you looked at the health & social care course? Don't you have to add a nursing course onto that?
    I did a Private & Confidential Secretaries Diploma Course ages and ages ago. I am now 65. It did help me some of the time.

Joy
  • bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    Options
    cheers guys

although I dont think I could cope with social work or nursing the health courses I have seen at my local college look achievable

would love to learn a language too...but one step at a time

best wishes
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I already have an a-level in pschology, I am considering taking a further course in the same subject, not for a career but just for the sake of it love Jaspercatxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    at 31 did electrical electronic engineering national diploma wanted to prove to my self was not as thick as thought i was lol
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I'm doing an English degree with the Open University, I'll qualify at the end of next year. It's a part time course and has fitted in very well with work, family etc. You get lots of support from your tutor and the online forums too.

Nx