Dancing in Wheelchairs

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 18. Feb 2010, 17:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
Did anyone see this programme on BBC3 on THursday night?

I am just watching it on iplayer and am really glad I saw it.

there are 6 wheelchair users who have never ballroom danced, partnered by 6 celebrities who have either been on strictly come dancing or have dance training .... but none have done wheelchair dancing before.

wow is all I can say ...... what they can do after only 4 weeks is amazing!

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

Oh I missed it but i did see some lads doing modern dance in chairs and they were incredible! They used to use one lad on the BBC 'home page' thing and he was one of the lads in the display thing. I was really amazed at what they can do. Cris x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Wonky,

Oh I missed it but i did see some lads doing modern dance in chairs and they were incredible! They used to use one lad on the BBC 'home page' thing and he was one of the lads in the display thing. I was really amazed at what they can do. Cris x

I think you mean Ade (can't spell his surname:oops: ) he is one of the judges on this ........ it is just seeing a couple dancing when one is in a wheelchair and it looked so beautiful.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    oh blow i knew i was going to record something :(
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    oh blow i knew i was going to record something :(

it'll be on the iplayer until Thursday if you get chance to watch on your PC ....... that's what I did cos I forgot it was Thursday :roll: and only remembered today that I missed it!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Wonky,

I think you mean Ade (can't spell his surname:oops: ) he is one of the judges on this ........ it is just seeing a couple dancing when one is in a wheelchair and it looked so beautiful.

That's the Guy Wonky, he is absolutely incredible and break dances with a wheel chair :shock: He does so much more than able bodied people do. He seems like a decent guy as well is he a good judge? When I have run the gauntlet I will find it on iplayer but the thing with ball room for me is normally Bruceie who I can't stand :wink::lol::lol: Cris x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    i will watch it in the morning with my coffee
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Yes wonkey i saw it, Fantastic
    i really did think it would look a bit silly but i was the silly one for thinking that cos they were all amazing.
    the lady that went out i really felt for and i hope she keeps dancing as i think it will really help her.
    i'll be watching again next week :D
    i love all the dancing shows
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Yes wonkey i saw it, Fantastic
    i really did think it would look a bit silly but i was the silly one for thinking that cos they were all amazing.
    the lady that went out i really felt for and i hope she keeps dancing as i think it will really help her.
    i'll be watching again next week :D
    i love all the dancing shows

I wasn't at all sure it would look that good .... couldn't see it in my mind, but was blown away by how they adapted so well.

Also how much more confident the lady got who had only been in her chair for 18 months ...... what a valuable experience for her.

I am not a dancer but I'll be watching again on Thursday .... notleast cos there's no Brucie or noisy audience booing etc when the judges make their comments :wink:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

I used to do wheelchair dancing when I went to a disabled centre. It used to be a lot of fun and we had such a good time.

The local council stopped it because of their budget.

We also used to do bowls, that was good too, they stopped that as well.

There were other sports that us wheelchair peeps did too.

Trish xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi

I used to do wheelchair dancing when I went to a disabled centre. It used to be a lot of fun and we had such a good time.

The local council stopped it because of their budget.

We also used to do bowls, that was good too, they stopped that as well.

There were other sports that us wheelchair peeps did too.

Trish xx

what a shame that it always seems to come down to money these days :(:(:(:(

shame you can't find a club that you could join in with.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Wonky

I would not be able to go there. It is because I have to have oxygen, no one would take me as it would not be coverd by insurance.

Oxygen is classed as inflamable.

So I dance around the front room instead :shock:

T xx
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    Options
    hey wonkey, may i say, thanks for reminding me this was on iplayer. it's so easy to forget.

i say this thread last night, adn went on iplayer, adn saw most of it. i would love to say it's your fault i stayed up till 2.30 am :D , but i'ts not, it's mine, as i really could not stop myself watching.

they are amazing dancers, aspcially when you se that none of them are trained or professionals. the dances were so beautiful, i wish they didn't have to go out every week.

they should all dance for the duration, and see who is the best at the end of the series, though i think that of the other reality shows as well.

i hope to rember to watch the next episode at a reasonalbe hour fo the day :wink:

take care

sangita
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    hey wonkey, may i say, thanks for reminding me this was on iplayer. it's so easy to forget.

i say this thread last night, adn went on iplayer, adn saw most of it. i would love to say it's your fault i stayed up till 2.30 am :D , but i'ts not, it's mine, as i really could not stop myself watching.

they are amazing dancers, aspcially when you se that none of them are trained or professionals. the dances were so beautiful, i wish they didn't have to go out every week.

they should all dance for the duration, and see who is the best at the end of the series, though i think that of the other reality shows as well.

i hope to rember to watch the next episode at a reasonalbe hour fo the day :wink:

take care

sangita

not sure whether to laugh or cry at the thought of you still watching at that hour of the morning :wink::lol:

glad you enjoyed it - I tend to agree with you that having to make one leave is always difficult to see .... wish everyone could keep going as you suggest.

Trisher - glad you still dance! :wink:
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    pls pls pls laugh !

i cried this morn, s i didn't get enough sleep :lol::lol: amd woke up when the physio rang me to cancel and appointment.

rehab,

i' sorry you feel that way, but i think it was great!!

sangita
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    heyrahab,

i didn't feel you mocked me enjoying it, i felt you were not happy with the people who took part.

and i was owed by the people who took part.

i just enjoy most of the dancing shows, so i would just watch them, so i don't mind how you feel about me watching the show. we will all have diffrent shows we enjoy, and that's nothing to quibble over.

sangita
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    hey all,

did nayone watch this week?

i thought they were wonderful!!!

sangita
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I watched about 10 minutes of it, I found it totally embarrassing and condescending!

me too.

Joy