Ye olde ghost badger!.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 15. Feb 2010, 05:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well went out to ye olde black horse up in Ipsden heath woods for a few jars of ale last night, we had just driven up Garsons hill, here you have to watch out for deer that can run across the roads there, well as I was approaching the turn that goes down towards the pub I notice something large and white on the right verge?, I thought more rubbish dumped by a passing grackle!, well as I drew up along side said plastic bag it jumps up turns it’s head towards me and looked at me!?
I did nothing I just looked at it in amazement!, time stood still, I forgot I was still travelling at 20 odd MPH, just then this white creature runs out towards my right front wheel and as it does I see what it is!, it’s a pure white badger resplendent with red glowing eyes!, I tense my muscles and grit my teeth expecting a thump as we collide but nothing!??, I turned to look down at it but it had disappeared !, I looked behind in the mirror but nothing!!?, so I stopped the car got out not a sound nor sight of him, so I climb back in and turned the car round and went back looking for the white beast but it was gone, hide nor hair of it?.
So lonely travellers just remember if your ever out on a dark windy night up in the Ipsden heath woods, beware the ghost badger of olde garsons hill, as he still haunts those woods of a dark winters night, so travel at your peril :shock:

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    .....so why is a badger haunting you Mell .....what have you been doing to them in a past life????

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mellman01
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    .....so why is a badger haunting you Mell .....what have you been doing to them in a past life????

Luv Legs :D

Hi legs not sure but I've seen this bugger a few times now, normally when I'm on me way home filled up with pop(wife drive he he!!), last night I almost killed him/her, tell you what it was flippin big for a badger, it could almost look in my side window and it's paws were the size on a mans hand and that's the gods honest truth!!! :wink: :shock:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I reckon you should tell your wife to take a different road home......purely for scientific reasons and see if it's on another route then you'll know if it's you it's haunting or the spot where you see it :shock:

.....and be very kind to badgers in future Mell :wink:

Luv Legs :lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    You were very brave to get out of your car Mell. What if it had gone for your ankles? Badgers can sure bite Perhaps it tried to go foryour tires.
    Q for Springwatch maybe?

joy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Good heavens, Mell, it's badgering you!

Annie
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Joy and Annie you may well scoff but I'm telling you this this was big!, in fact I don't think it was an earthly creature at all!, hey!, maybe that's why there's a pentagle drawn in blood in the pubs public bars wall??. Or is that just a silly quaint yokle tradition?.
    Come to think of it there was that case of the 2 lovers found dead in their car a few years back, very strange it was, both front tyres had been shreaded and the cars drivers door was torn from it's hinges, some say both of em were drained of all their blood and the moment of death was etched on their faces!. the only clues was a sinlge badger claw still stuck in a tire and a few white hairs in the dead womans hand!. :shock:
  • annie_mial
    Options
    As a matter of fact, Mell, I do believe you.........we get quite a few badgers in this area but they stick further north in the Downs generally.
    When we were on holiday a few years ago in Devon, I was going back to our cottage late one night and I was aware of 'something' dodging about in the shadows, but I have done that walk often enough to know that it was hardly likely to be anything exciting. I got a bit of a shock when 'it' suddenly trundled out on the path in front of me, a blinking great badger.......I'm five feet tall and this fella came up to my waist nearly..........that is the only badger I have ever seen down there and it was a very close encounter! He wasn't white, though - I was!

Annie
  • mellman01
    Options
    See it's true Annie!.
    Right back to reality, we have a few around up in the back woods, haven't seen any round here although I have seen the signs of them, they seem to like digging out wasps nest, I found 3 dug out around the village, trouble is the wasps get really twitchy once the nest is expoused so I went back at night and finished them off in a badger freindly way.
    I once got within 10 yards of one out night lamping, the wind was coming towards me and I walked behind him for about 10 minutes, he even looked round at me but didn't seem to notice the red light I was using, in the end I deliberately mad a noise so I could get past him, he just trundeled off into some asparagus plants. :shock:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Mell

It could only happen to you :!: :!: :shock: Could it have been an albino badger if it was white with red eyes :?:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Ive never seen a live badger. plenty of dead road kills here,including badgers.
    Infact the A50 between here & the motorway is covered with them, we see more of them than foxes.
    Im a country brought up girl, so im pretty disappointed to say ive never seen a live badger. Its one of my before i die things.
    When i was kid there was a black fox that used to sit in the woods behind your house & watch to see if us & the 3 neighbours had put the chickens away. As the sunset we could see his eyes from the woods. quite spooky for a kid.
    But so far no-one beleives me that theres such a thing as a black fox. There is you know. we even found his or her cubs in there den.
    debs
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Debs, last year's fox litter (the local foxes, our next-door neighbours) has a distinctly darker one than usual. I've ever only see him/her by night so can't tell if it is black or just a much darker version.

Annie
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Annie, Keep a look out as the townies that ive met dont believe theres such a thing as a black fox.
    I think they think of Basil brush & i wond people up for years saying he was a squirrel . BOOm BOOM. :lol::lol:
    Then i get told it was just a dirty fox, i thought that was Samatha Fox.
    Right i'll get me coat :wink:
    But im seroius on the black fox.
    debs
  • mellman01
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Mell

It could only happen to you :!: :!: :shock: Could it have been an albino badger if it was white with red eyes :?:

Yes it was Joan I know a chap who knows where it's den is, he's been there and watched it and the other ones there playing and feedeing.
    It's odd though as I said in my lamping post they don't seem to see red light, the time I was out rabbit lamping he/she actually stopped and looked sideways at me a few times I was using my riffle scope and could see they eye reflecting clearly so it was looking my way, it didn't bat an eye lid.
    It was only when I deliberatly made a sound did it react to me, and then it ran to it's left into the only cover around so it knew there was something coming up behind it.