TV went black

Options
noeltone
noeltone Member Posts: 878
edited 15. Feb 2010, 11:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
My TV went first went pink then purple and black on Sat night watching a riveting MR. and MRs. as Paul Scofiled vanished all togerter. Luckily it is insured until 2011 so calle dup and they can send someone out on Friday but today it is woeking well do TVs have tubes now is the tube on the way out what do I do about calling them and engineer coming out Help.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    noeltone wrote:
    My TV went first went pink then purple and black on Sat night watching a riveting MR. and MRs. as Paul Scofiled vanished all togerter. Luckily it is insured until 2011 so calle dup and they can send someone out on Friday but today it is woeking well do TVs have tubes now is the tube on the way out what do I do about calling them and engineer coming out Help.

hi let them come and look even if ok now it best to get it checked out. as you r insured you might as well no the new ones do not have tubes as such any more but do not know enough about it to help with what it was did you try other channels to check
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Chrisov

Pink, then purple, then black :?: :?: It sounds more colourful and interesting than most of the programmes anyway :!: Could it just have been a short power cut :?: We get them occasionally, and they are very annoying because they last just long enough to make all the clocks go wrong.

I don't think TVs have tubes any more, do they? If it is working OK now, I would cancel the engineer for the time being, and see how it goes.

Hope you are OK yourself. Nice to hear from you, even if it is only a plea for help!!

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Check and make sure it was your tv ask a friend or family and see if it happened on theres at the same, because mine once did something similar i called someone out and there was nothing wrong with it and when i told my brother he said his tv had done the same thing watching the same program.
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    noeltone wrote:
    do TVs have tubes now is the tube on the way out

If you look at the back of the TV and it sticks out a long way then it has a tube. Usually a tube will lose just one colour or not work at all. If the back is flat and only sticks out about 3-4 inches then it is a modern flat TV with no 'tube' as such.

There are a series of plug-in circuit boards in the back and the engineer knows which board is likely to cause your problem. Sometimes just unplugging the board and pushing it back into its socket will cure the fault permanently. If you cancel the engineer then ****'s Law dictates that it will go again. So let them have a bang about in the back. There is a lot of High Voltage in the back of any TV set, don't be tempted to take the back off to see if you can find a fault. There is HV even if the set is turned off and unplugged.

As an educated guess, it could have been a HV flash-over, this is where a voltage builds up and is normally discharged across a special component. These can get dust on them and the electricity tracks across the dust and due to the power surge the set's safety circuits shut it down. This naturally burns off the dust and the set switches on and works again as normal.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    WOW Joseph, I totally bow to your superior knowledge - you learn a new thing every day!

Nx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,458
    Options
    Oh Chrisov :(
    I could not be without my telly..... :(

I hope it stays working for you.....

Yes I agree Joseph...Well impressive :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice and Joseph's which was very knolwedgable btw tv has a stick out bck so most prob has a tube I think Ill let them come out cos last night I thougt it was going dark agin and that is what i paed the warranty for
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,458
    Options
    Exactly Chrisov - you dont pay that sort of moeny if you're not going to use it :wink:

Hope they fix it for you

Love

Toni xx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    WOW Joseph, I totally bow to your superior knowledge - you learn a new thing every day!

Nx

He's not called Livinglegend for nothing, is he :?: :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif