What would you do?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 19. Feb 2010, 21:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I was watching on the News the couple who have won £56.5 million on the EuroMillions lottery, and thinking how their lives will change. It is such a huge amount of money, and it could bring them as many problems as it does joy.

What would you do with that amount of money :?: There is the potential to do so much good with it, and I would hardly know where to start.
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i would set up a charity, and research into all the arthurs', but mostly the leass well known ones.

and the results of hte reaserch to go to the patients, NOT the pharmaceuticals !!!

n a a

ps, (it's one of my dreams, refer to dreams thread hee hee)
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I would be out of this country so fast, .... even before Gordon Brown could think about stealing it

You could probably buy your own country with that amount :!: Rehabland :?:
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    IF he did, hten Gordon WOULD steal most of it in taxes :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    it is a mind-boggling amount ....... hubby said that even in a low-interest account it would grow by at least £10,000 in interest every week :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

but just think of the good that it could do ....... but I so hope that they can still have a happy life, cos money isn't everything ..... as some previous winners have sadly discovered.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    i would set up a charity, and research into all the arthurs', but mostly the leass well known ones.

and the results of hte reaserch to go to the patients, NOT the pharmaceuticals !!!

n a a

ps, (it's one of my dreams, refer to dreams thread hee hee)

Hi Sangita

I think that putting money into a charity like this would be a good use for it, especially if it cut out the pharmaceuticals ( Phew :!: That's a long word to type :!: )
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    In my country there would be no Gordon's, any child given the name Gordon at birth would be cast out in a rush basket upon the seas.

What about Tony :?:
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    what about harriet?

n a a
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    it is a mind-boggling amount ....... hubby said that even in a low-interest account it would grow by at least £10,000 in interest every week :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

but just think of the good that it could do ....... but I so hope that they can still have a happy life, cos money isn't everything ..... as some previous winners have sadly discovered.

Hi Wonky

I hope they can have a happy life too. They might stay the same, but other people will see them differently.

Still, miserable and poor, or miserable and rich. Which would you choose :?:
  • naseebapnaapna
    Options
    what happens when you get to rehar56,000,000?

:mrgreen:

n a a
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Everyone will be called rehab, rehab1 , rehab2, rehab3 etc

Could be a bit confusing :!: I thought there could only ever be one Rehab :!:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    what happens when you get to rehar56,000,000?

:mrgreen:

n a a
    My land would only have 7 inhabitants, I have no need for any more, except for a few servants that would be it :D

Servants :?: An egalitarian society then :?: And that's a big word for this time of night :!:
  • malc7747
    malc7747 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    If I won my list would be short :
    Family and Friends, no-one would go short and their morgages paid off
    Deserving Charities, Wow which ones as there are so many
    Nice long holiday, in the Sun
    New car, probably an open top (as my holiday wouldn't finish until its sunny again here)
    Country cottage in the UK
    4 bedroom Villa in the USA, with a heated pool
    Nice little yacht in the Aegean

I am sure there would be plenty left over for even more charities.

Good luck everyone on this weeks draw

Malc
    :wink:
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Oooooh, good topic material, Joan! I would:

- Buy a great big house for myself with a drive where you come in one gate and out another (a dream of mine). The house would have it's own gym and indoor pool (and cinema, of course)

- Buy houses outright for close family and friends (yes, that includes you lot)

- Give a significant amount to my favourite charities: arthur, naturally, cancer research and for research into cerebral palsy

- Open a shelter for the homeless where they can stay, get advice and food and somewhere to wash

- Holiday in Rehabland because it sounds COOL :-)

Nx

PS - and, of course, have huge shopping sprees every day buying as many clothes, shoes and handbags as my heart desires
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    i would make sure my family and special friends are sorted , buy a big bungalow with lots of land to have a fishery attached with a small caravan park , donate to charities arther, cancer, autisum and the VULCAN plain to keep it flying and flying safe xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Berty

Glad to see that you would donate to the Vulcan to the Sky charity. I support that too because it is a wonderful aircraft, and my brother-in-law used to fly them when he was in the RAF.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    I would get myself in to the best hospital get them to test me for everything :roll: and get on the best treatment for me.
    i would buy a castle on a hill with a water slide from my bedroom window :D
    like others, family and friends would be sorted.
    buy a Shire horse :D
    build my kids a tree house
    give to charities
    go on a long holiday
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    While you are thinking about what you would do with that amount of money, you wouldn't even have time to spend the interest.

I would dread to post each morning. You would have to employ a team of four to go through all the begging letters. How would you know thehonest from the dishonest?

At least half of it would go to charities and then the team of four would then decide which of the charities the letters could be sent to. £27m

The other half would then be used to help the family so that would be about £10m gone. £5m of that would be put in trust for the grandchildren.

I think £17m would keep me quite comfortable then. You would probably lose your old friends, because they would feel inadequate (unless you help them aswell)
    You would suddenly have a whole lot of new friends who would just love to help you spend the rest.

And with that, I shall now go and see how I will spend the £7 I won on the same lottery. Not fair is it? If I had won it, I would certainly have helped all my friends here.

Joy
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I would purchase a island of Scotland and build an eco house and have a small croft, I don't want to "save the planet"(god I hate that term) but I would just love to see if I could do it.I would also have boat so I could catch me T!.
    And I would give you lot on here a little wind fall for putting up with my ravings, and I would also give some to me best mate, same for family(there's not many of them now) and I would give some to the land mines trust and red wings horse sanctuary. Oh and I would have two knew knees put in me flippers.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    I would purchase a island of Scotland and build an eco house and have a small croft, I don't want to "save the planet"(god I hate that term) but I would just love to see if I could do it.I would also have boat so I could catch me T!.
    And I would give you lot on here a little wind fall for putting up with my ravings, and I would also give some to me best mate, same for family(there's not many of them now) and I would give some to the land mines trust and red wings horse sanctuary. Oh and I would have two knew knees put in me flippers.

You could have gold ones Mell.

Like the idea of the island off Scotland, I would have one off Norway aswell.

joy
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I would tick the NO PUBLICITY button cos of all the sallysobstories and harryhardluck letters but would give most of it to deserving causes and get enjoyment from helping others who dont ask.
    My list would include......autism, homeless, arthritis research, old and uncared for, Help for Heroes........

I would buy a house in the country cos I hate all the noise around.
    It would have a hydro pool and gym......

OH parents have a house in Mojacar where the other ticket winner lives but,unfortunately it wasnt them!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    Options
    Buy a bank!

Steph
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Oh well........ I don't do the lottery so first I'd be shocked :wink: but if I did I would have a purpose built house in the top field, a wonderful sheep and chicken house and keep a few grand for a rainy day and then....... Well I honestly would give the rest away to friends and charities I support now and a few I can't afford to help as well.

AND you know what I would employ someone again :D I would only have to do a sale if I wanted to and me and the employers well we would grow in number ad have a nice house to wreck...... and we would wreck it as well :lol::lol::lol:

Hey maybe I should start buying tickets..... :lol::lol:
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    Buy a bank!

Steph

I think we have a winner here, Joan! PMSL

:-) Nx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Joy hmmm never thought of there what's it like?,like Scotland but more snow & trees and less light in winhter??.

Oh I'd also have a viewing dome up on the roof, in the room I would have a good telescope and big comfy chairs so you could sit and watch the northern lights.

Pipe dream or what?, I don't even do the Euro lottery!.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Rehab

What a lovely response to my thread :!: You are very kind to think of us all, and I would love that box at the ballet, so thank you.

Even if you never win, your generosity of heart is appreciated by all.

Joan