a question about anti inflammatories

Options
bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
is it correct they can take several weeks to begin lowering any inflammation and that you have to take them every day over this period and then continue taking them ?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I take my anti inflams daily. 10 days before my TKR at my pre op assessment, I was asked to stop taking them and after day one, I could not quite believe how much they helped me with all my aches and pains. If symptoms return so soon after stopping them, I would think it correct in that they work pretty instantly, when starting on them. This is how I find anti inflams to work for me.

Best wishes,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) such as Ibuprofen and Diclofenac are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and start to take effect within an hour or so. Because of their potential side effects, the guidance these days is to take the lowest possible dose for the shortest length of time i.e. take the dose prescribed when your joints are particularly inflamed but, if you can, stop them when the inflammation dies down.
    Some people do need to take them long term but that is a discussion to be had with your doctor.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    Options
    thank you helpteam