Pins and needles??

Options
psyart
psyart Member Posts: 600
edited 17. Feb 2010, 18:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I get pins and needles in my left hand and fingers on the odd occassion, mostly in the mornings but today it is lasting a few hours. Is this a symptom of 'arthur'?? I have PA, on methx injec, take co-codomols during day and sometimes at night. I have been taking SR 100 dihyrocodeine at night but had bad migraine yesterday which I think was from this (had same thing with SR tramadol at night!!). I do have underactive thyroid but not sure its to do with that!!!!

Any comments greatly received as always appreciate commets from this forum. Makes me feel normal and not oddy!!!!! Not really painful but joints in hand have been bit sore, just curious really or is it something else going wrong??!!!!!! :(:(

A falling apart Louise :?
e050.gifo050.gif

Comments

• moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    psyart wrote:
    Hi

I get pins and needles in my left hand and fingers on the odd occassion, mostly in the mornings but today it is lasting a few hours. Is this a symptom of 'arthur'?? I have PA, on methx injec, take co-codomols during day and sometimes at night. I have been taking SR 100 dihyrocodeine at night but had bad migraine yesterday which I think was from this (had same thing with SR tramadol at night!!). I do have underactive thyroid but not sure its to do with that!!!!

Any comments greatly received as always appreciate commets from this forum. Makes me feel normal and not oddy!!!!! Not really painful but joints in hand have been bit sore, just curious really or is it something else going wrong??!!!!!! :(:(

A falling apart Louise :?

Hi Louise,
    The pins and needles you have sounds similar to the problem I have with my feet and toes which I have had for many many years. I don't go to the Doctors but through experience have discovered it is something to do with arthritis. It was previously sciatica or trapped nerves which eventually turns into arthritis as it gets worse.
    Hope this makes sense and helps a little bit.
    Regards Steph

PS Don't fall apart, that's even more painful!
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey,
    I had really bad pins and needles in my legs and hands the other week, started as i went to bed, couldn't sleep all night and went on for the next day, then just disappeared and I hope it stays away, it was horrible.
    So yeah I guess it's something to do with inflammation irritating your nerves. I'm going to ask my rheumy about it tomorrow, so can report back!
    Hope it goes away for you!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Louise,

I get something very similar in my hands and assumed it was coming from the rubbish that is my neck :wink: I see the pain clinic every 3 months and asked her if she could help with the pain and swelling in my wrists ( I have pa and its gone after my wrist and elbows so fast :shock: ) and she said she thinks its carpal tunnel so I had some tests and am waiting for the results..... though not sure where they will get sent..... I don't think it is CT but she did and well at some stage we will know which of us is right :lol::lol: sot of hope she is cus they can do something about that’s :wink:

I wonder if its worth asking next time you see either your gp, Rumo or Rumo nurse? I hope your doing okish and sending you a ((( ))) luv a totally fallen apart Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Louise,

I had pins and needles in my left-hand little finger and ring finger and also along the outside of my hand, last year. My Rheumy diagnosed a trapped ulna nerve in my elbow and gave me a steroid injection into the elbow joint. This didn't appear to work but after about a month of having it done it gradually disappeared itself.

It could also be carpel tunnel syndrome, it depends which fingers or part of the hand the pins and needles are affecting - both can be treated surgically if necessary.

You ought to get it looked at because if it goes untreated it could cause nerve damage.

Luv Legs who doesn't mean to alarm you. :shock:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Louise

Pins and needles are caused by nerve endings irritated in some way by whatever.....Whilst pins and needles is a more reassuring symptom than numbness this may possibly perhaps happen in time, if left undiagnosed. I agree with Legs, it is best to mention it to your gp mainly for reassurance.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've got nerve problems in both my arms and get pins and needles in my hands. Usually its possible for the doctor to have a good idea of what nerves are causing problems, by what fingers are effected. The rheummatologist gave me a steriod injection in my wrist, which worked for a few weeks, then he sent me for a nerve conduction test, which is nothing to worry about, just eletrodes on certain places on fingers and arm, which they can use to find out if you have carpel tunnel syndrome.

If so, a simple little op may be needed to put it right. I've had my left hand done and may need my right hand done. It is important to get it checked out though as if its left too long the treatment will not be so effective.

Hope you can soon get sorted out.
    Love Sue
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi,I have experiencing a tingling/pins and needles effect in the middle finger on my right hand for a few weeks now and on the palm of the hand just below that finger there is a swelling of the bone.It always seems worse at night although I do get it on and off during the day but seems more painful at night. :( I've been wondering what is causing it.I thought it might be inflamation due to the RA.The finger is also slightly swollen too. Breane.
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi everyone - thanks for replies - will def talk to doctor as sounds like its a bit more serious than I thought!! I thought it might just be due to 'arthur' playing up!! It doesnt happen very often and when it does its in the mornings, then goes by afternoon, so thats what made me thing it was just 'arthur' as I am normally stiff and sore in mor anyway!!! I hope its nothing extra, dont want any more at the moment, only now begining to adjust to meds and 'arthur' and thats taken nearly 3 years!!!!!!

Please let me know how it goes with rhumey, caprica, and hope you are better now?

Thanks again - its good to know that people understand the strange things that are going on with our bodies!!!! :lol:

Louise xxx
    e050.gifo050.gif