now a chest infection

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 17. Feb 2010, 16:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi
I have been having a poor time since before xmas and not quite getting over this last flare up. I have been constantly fatigued and am getting all sorts of unusual pains which I have been told is from the inflammation in my back.
Over the weekend i was feeling just not right so paid a visit to my GP on monday who listened to my chest and told me i had a chest infection. Now i didnt have any symptoms with my chest so was confused. However, I conitnued with the amoxycillan and yesterday lunchtime all of a sudden starting feeling ill and and now have full blown flu like symptoms, coughing up rubbish, sneezing sore throat and this mornign have sticky eyes.
Could this be relted to the increase in sulphasalazine I have been taking the last few weeks?
I phoned my hreumy nurse who is fab and she took some bloods which i am awaiting results for and told to stop taking the sulphasalazine.
What on earth is going on? Is it common to have all these problems at once?
A few weeks ago i ended up in A+E because i thought i was having a heart attack and was told it was inflammation in the sternum which causes simialr pains.
Any advice would be great, cheers

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Bailey

Oh my goodness, I so feel for you, horrid symptoms have been occuring relentlessly for you for such a long time now. Sulpha can cause side effects of fever, sore throat and flu-like symptoms. I am sorry that I do not have answers but I hope that someone has for you, very soon, either on here or the medics that you are liaising with. I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read your postings over the past few months. I believe you must be very strong mentally to take all this on board the way you have. I feel so humbled when I read your threads.

Love
    Elna x (())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Oh Bailey I a sorry its all gone so horrible for you. I hope they can get on top of the chest infection which sounds like its got quite a hold on you. Keep taking the amoxicillin but if your feeling worse please ring the gp's and either get them out or go and see them as you may need a change of antibiotic (Amoxicillin is very good but quite broad range).

The sternum and rib pain I get a lot of and its connected to the pa but that’s me and you really need to ask to see the Rumo again I think. I really hope you soon are feeling a lot better and in the mean time rest up, stay warm and go easy. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm so sorry that you are having an awful time. I hope that the bloods the nurse took will help to sort out the problem and then you can have the proper medication to make you feel better. It's been a long, cold winter and I think that encourages all the problems, from flu to arthritis.

My advice is the usual, rest, keep warm but not too hot, if you get a mild fever, take paracetamol, if you can with you meds and drink plenty of fluids. If you feel your tempariture goes up a lot, phone the doctor, or rheummy nurse for advice.

I'm sure I've teaching my Granny to suck eggs, and you know all these things, but I can't think of anything better. Hopefully, you should soon start to feel a bit better. Lots of love and take good care of yourself. Love Suexxx :wink:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

Sorry you feel poorly at the moment :(

Sulphasalzine is an immuno-suppressant (sp?) so that could be why you ave this infection, you've been stopped taking it to give your body chance to fight it. You might find they review it once you're on top of the chest infection.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for that.
    I read about so many people on here having flare ups but most seem to go after a while. This has een going on for a few months now and although I feel better some days I cant remember the last time I actually felt good.
    What can they do once they have the blood results?
    I have had a flu jab adn a swine flu jab so dont really understand why I have this as surely I should be protected from colds and flu?
    I am alsways trying to stay positive and not think too much about it as I find it gets me down but lately it is getting more difficult especialy when it is interfering wit all aspects of my life.
    What are they likely t do next? If I know what they may do I can keep positive nad look forward to it but at the moment nothing seems ti be going particularly well.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

You just hang in there and once the chest infection has gone they may either put you back on the sulfa or change you to something else. 'We' as a group are more likely to pick up cheat infections cus the immune system is being suppressed so doesn't operate as well as it used to. As I understand it they have stopped your sulfa to allow your immune system to fight the infection. If you haven't got an appointment pending maybe, once the infection has cleared up, you could ask to see the Rumo?

Like you mine isn't under control (or at lease I don't think it is) and have a reoccurring cold/chest that just wont go away. My Rumo tells me to rest and stay at a constant temperature but he knows as well as me that's not possible but for you rest must be i your day for a min. I wish I could help more but it does get better, honestly it does. ((( ))) Cris x
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    I have a rheumatology appointment scheduled for end of april so hopefully will get some answers then. I am also getting an mri scan next month too so hopefully over the next month or two things will start to pick up a bit. It just doesnt help now!
    Thanks for your advice.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Bailey27
    There's nothing I can say to you that others have already said, and I have learn't something too.

I was prone to chest infections and viral infections and relentless colds. They seem to have stopped now since I put myself on a dairy free diet. I now have soya products and they also keep cholestral down. Ordinary milk encourages mucas in the tubes and membranes, which in turn becomes infected.

In the meantime, I do hope you start getting better soon. The Amoxycillin works quickly and you should improve soon. Just drink plenty of liquids etc etc. etc.

Love and a (((((((((((())))))))))))) from Joy
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for that
    I have paid a few trips to the dr for pain in my chest which they said is quite common in peple with AS. Could it have been a chest infection brewing too?
    I am just trying to get my head around all the different things that can happen toyou with arthritis - far from just the achey painful joints I once thought it was!
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Oh Bailey, I do feel for you. I know how it drags you down when it goes on and on ... you keep shoving pills down you to what seems no avail. As they said, hang on there, you'll be 'out the other side' in a bit. The weather doesn't help either ... if we could have a nice, warm sunny day we'd all feel so much better.

Hope you're feeling better soon and the anti-biotics do their stuff.
    Have a restful night. ((( )))))
    do little
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Bailey

It's really difficult to deal with arther and then on top of that all the other problems and infections we can get because of meds suppressing the immune system.

hope it begins to settle down for you and that rheumy can answer all your questions when you see them in April...it's good too that you are having an mri (at least your doc is thorough)
    hopefully those results will be with your consultant when you see him.

take care. irisx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Gosh you have been through the mill :shock:

you have had a right rough time of it with all that going on.

Glad the rheumy nures has aten bloods so she might have some answers for you.

When i flare it's 6 weeks or more, but others do go on for longer :(

I really really do hope you fel a bit even a teeny bit better soon

Love

Toni xx