Latest news on ESA Appeal

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 19. Feb 2010, 01:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I visited my GP today and and she has given me the bare bones, no pun intended, :oops: of a report for my esa appeal. Now she wants me to re-write it for her with all the things I can't do and the effect that its having on me, as she said that its only me that can give a really good view of the real effect. Then I've got to give it back and she will re-write it in medical terms to sound professional.

She is really anti the new ESA medicals and as for the new 'fit note', she thinks its a really useless waste of time and money. She has said in the report that I was forced to leave work because of my pain and that I had been off once for a year, recovered, and asked to go back, but when I did, I soon became worse than I had been before. She points our that my employers the County Council's Occupational doctor did extensive tests and gave me lots of time, but in the end had no choice and could see nothing that would be suitable for me to do. That I shouldn't type or lift or carry anything as I was not safe! I wonder if they take any notice at the appeal?

I am getting to the stage where I feel its taking over my life and I just want to give up and not think about it any more, but she said that would be wrong, which I know, really.

Anyway, just to let you know how things are going! :wink:

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Glad your GP is behind you all the way. Don't give up, it will be worth it in the end!

I want to know how many professionals on my team out weigh the one on theirs? I'm still waiting for my tribunal date but I do think they'll want to see me on my baby's due date!!

Did you get asked any work-related questions in your medical or was it like mine where they ask if you can raise your arm or touch your knees?

Apparently if you can touch your knees you can do a 37hr week!!

Keep your chin up!

Jen xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

In a roundabout way this sounds more hopeful really. I o wish you didn't have to go through it all but well done for sticking in there. It must seem like it has taken over your days but I think if you do as the doctor says with the forma and write everything.... and that’s everything how ever small you might just get them against the wall. I can’t tell you how much their attitudes etc annoy me! Hang in there and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. luv and a ((( ))) Cris x

Hi Jen,

No long now is it? Hope it all goes well and don't forget come and tell us :D . x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, my questions were not related to work at all, just could I put up hands, walk round a supermarket and wait in a queue, I said that I didn't go shopping at supermarkets unless I needed something quick at a time when they were not busy, most of the shopping comes by the internet. If I have to, I go very occasionally, as they are a bit too far for me to drive here, about 7 to 8 miles, and I had to ask if it was something heavy or on a higher or lower shelf and the big ones are too hard to walk around. She answered that I had no problems shopping at a supermarket once a week!!! A lot of the answers were untrue or she had answered them without asking me! She said I am fit to do ANY kind of work. In fact, the Council have written a statement for my pension saying I am unfit to do ANYTHING they employ people to do, even with training. That was a qualified independant occupational health doctor, employed by the NHS. Sorry I'm ranting. I'll stop. Love Sue :roll:
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Sue,

When I received my ATOS report it was full of lies and it had been amended the day before my decision was made. I have sent a 3 page document back to them with all the errors. I have written to my MP, MSP and emailed Radar for assistance as I am going to a tribunal. This is all for minimum DLA.

Good luck with your appeal and keep us posted.

Anne xx
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi Anne
    Good luck with your appeal, I hope it goes well. They sent the letter saying they will look at it again and see if amendments can be made, if not its tribunal. You get sick of it all, don't you. It makes me feel like some sort of criminal. My GP is very helpful and I am lucky, with that, I know. Thanks for replying. Love Sue
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sue
    Your doctor sounds very good and I am sure she will be able to help you. It's a scandal what they are putting people through. Going to a supermarket once a week doesn't mean a thing. My mother used to go shopping but it was just about all she could do. Didn't mean she could work. Where do they get these people who interviewed you?
    You've got to go through with the appeal just to prove your point. I'm sure you will get it.
    xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Sue

It is an awful stress for you which curely doesn't help??

If the county council say your'e not fit - surely???

Glad the Gp continues to support you.

You will win in the end Sue
    I'm sure :)

Love

Toni x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Please dont give up Woodbon although I can understand how sick and tired you feel.It is so unfair that really sick and disabled people are made to feel this way just because the government want to cut down their social welfare costs.There are plenty of other people who could and should go back to go work so they should pick on them.
    Best wishes and we are all rooting for you,
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Please dont give up Woodbon although I can understand how sick and tired you feel.It is so unfair that really sick and disabled people are made to feel this way just because the government want to cut down their social welfare costs.There are plenty of other people who could and should go back to go work so they should pick on them.
    Best wishes and we are all rooting for you,
    Elizabeth

Hear hear Elizabeth :) (sorry if that's here here :oops: )
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm not going to give up! One of the reasons is that if I did, I'd be letting down all the people both hear and my GP and husband. I feel a bit fed up, but I think that is only natural as we all know these things seem to go on so long and it feels almost as if you'r being worn down on purpose to make you give up.

I can't sign on for jsa, as I can't get there on my own, its a long way, and no buses from here and no parking the other end! DWP send out an employment advisor and rent a room in a local town, to see people over here! We did have a local Jobcentre, but, they closed it down. Its a mad world, or is it me. :mrgreen::wink:

Love Sue
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI
    Sorry you are going through this all but dont give up its what they want. Its not fair we have to jump through hoops to get what we deserve especially when life is tough enough already.
    Im dreading the next few months as I was written off for 6 months but Im sure its up soon I was down as limited capability to work but placed in the work related group as I am quite young and my drugs might start working. As it is Im no better and judging by all the people on here its even harder now so its worrying what they willl judge me as this time.

Its more for my mortgage insurance that I need this not the benefits as that hardly breaks the bank but I have a large mortgage (as I thought I was a high wage earner and a long career ahead of me ) :roll: boy was I wrong!! If the ESA is stopped my insurers could get awkward.

Good luck for your appeal

Love Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Sorry Sue, I should have read this thread first. I'd forgotten all about this problem. I had the same from my County Council Medical inspector. It was very difficult and I do feel for you.
    The only difference is that you want to do something but they haven't got anything suitable. Not prepared to even try.
    I was going to make a sweeping statement about theirs views on disabled, race etc, but hadn't better.

You will get there, I'm sure you will. Just be patient and get those answers written out again. Life's a **** sometimes.
    Look at me and my DLA? Won't get that now.

Joy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sue,

What a time you're having! No wonder you feel as though ESA is taking over your life......but please don't give up!
    at least you have an understanding and supportive GP which is reassuring.
    The OH assessment is cods wallop! how can they assess your fitness for work by asking you about your shopping habits? ...rubbish!
    and how on earth can they recommend you are fit for any work when your employer said you aren't? it's ludicrous!

I challenged an assessment I had via dwp, and lodged a formal complaint about it....I also had the support of my local MP. It took time but they eventually accepted what I was saying and arranged for another assessment which was fair and unbiased.

It is exhausting continually having to do battle....but it is worth it in the end. keep on with your fight and good luck! Iris x
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Sue
    See handys new post just up - hope it keeps you positive & gives you hope, hon
    love Pennie X
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    There is not a lot the others haven't said. These people at these tribunals make me so cross .. they haven't really got an clue what it's like. They seem to treat the most vulnerable like cheats ... we sick and ill are probably easy targets and it saves them doing real battle with the fit and able 'cheats'.

Just sending you (((( ))))s and the strength do take on the next 'round' when the bell goes.
    Dolittle