Eye problems?

Options
handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 18. Feb 2010, 12:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
For some time now I have been having trouble with my eyes. I was wondering could this stem from my RA or the meds that i take. I am on MTX, morphine ST, Etodolac,amitryptiline,Flouoxitine,Lansaprasol.
any info would help Cheers in advance.

Handsy:o)

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had only had my eyes tested last summer and there were no problems then.........was having a lot of trouble a few weeks ago and had to go back and there had been quite a definite change. My new specs have made a lot of difference to me.

Optician was sure it was the meds, MTX and steroids in particular which were causing the problems and I'm now on a 6 monthly check. I've been on the MTX since October, currently on 20mg a week (tabs) (been on the Pred for what seems a lifetime!).

Annie
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Handsy,

I have RA and have a lot of problems with my eyes and not on medication at the moment because Im worried about side affects.

I get blurred vision, difficulty focusing and pain when moving eyes. Was told quite some time ago that these type of illnesses affect the muscle around the eye and therefore painful when moving it. Im due to see an ophthalmologist on 27th Feb and hoping he will tell me what's going on. I also get double vision occasionally.

Has your GP referred you to an ophthalmologist?

Hope you get things sorted - keep us updated.

Take care x

Eve
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi John

Hi Eve

me too

I get red eyes for no reason sometimes and they hurt if I look around...if that makes sense. part of Ra I am told and you could try drops (artificial tears) they do soothe things.

Love

Toni xx
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hiya,

I know RA can cause dry eyes, which can feel especially bad if you wear contact lenses.

I too get eye ache when I move them! Thought it was the sulpha that was causing it but maybe it's just yet another symptom of arthur! Also get heavy eyelids around mid-afternoon. Hey-ho!

Lois x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Yes me too
    they can be painfull, red, blurred vision and at the moment "twitty" i also sometimes get a headache without the head pain just the eyes feel strange.
    been and had loads of eye tests they said they cant find nothing wrong :roll: but of course there was nothing wrong on the days i went for tests.
    i have RA, think it must be that.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I get blurred vision especially when my eyes are tired at night. They also give me a type of double vision, which is a strange sort of shadow or ghosting around things and I get very itchy eyes. I've had these symtems for about a year or two, it just crept up on me and I didn't really notice it start. I am going to see the neurologist, as the nerves in my wrist, elbow and neck are causing problems, I've had one carpell tunnel release surgery done, but the surgeon is keen for me to see a neurologist before any more surgery.

Just over a year ago I had an MRI and they found a compression in the neck c4, c5 & c6 I think. Apparently that may be the cause.
    Love sue