swelling behind the knee

Options
dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 20. Feb 2010, 18:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I have a swelling the size of a small tennis ball behind my left knee, which is very painful. Anyone know what that is? is it arther do you think? I've not had this before so any advice would be helpful.

thanks, Irisx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    H Iris,

You might have to have it looked at cus it could be a bakers cyst, its linked to arthritis I think but it could be other things as well and best to get seen if it doesn't go own pdq. How is the wrist now? Cris x
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    It does sound like a Baker's Cyst - when the knee's been bent for a while does it feel a bit stiff to straighten?

As Cris said, best get it checked out at the doc's.

Lois x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Iris

Echo. Bakers cyst springs to mind immediately but you should have that clarified by your gp.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hi Iris,

It does sound like a Baker's cyst. Did it come on suddenly and feels as though something has "popped out" ?

There is a fact sheet on here but do have it checked out by your doc won't you.

Yes arthur does have something to do with it, well he would wouldn't he :roll:

Cherryx
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    My knee does that sometimes. It goes after I ice it. I am waiting for knee re alignment surgery, I am too young for knee replacement they tell me.
    I find the back of my knee swells like this for no reason but they tell me it is common when you have worn down cartlidge.
    I think it is worth getting it checked whatever it may be.,
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks Chris, Lois and Elna for your replies.

Yes it is stiff when I straighten it ...both knees have been bothering me a lot recently and keeping me awake at night when I try to straighten my legs or move them to change position. Coming down stairs is also a real challenge!
    This morning was particularly bad but I didn't notice the swelling until this evening so don't know how long it's been there.

What on earth is a Baker's cyst? what do they do to treat it?

thanks,
    Irisx

Chris, my wrist is a whole lot less painful, thanks! still taking the antibiotics for another 5 weeks. x

Hey thanks Cherry and Bailey! bleeping arther!!! just when you think you know what he's up to...he sneaks up behind you with something new!

I will try the ice to see if that does anything, thanks....I've got an OT appointment tomorrow so I'll mention it to them. would have to wait a few days to see a doc if not an emergency. Irisx
  • wibberley
    Options
    Hi Iris,

I think it's a build up of fluid behind the knee, caused by arthritis. It can be removed but as its there to defend something or other(?), most rheumy's advise against removing it.

It can burst, and cause swelling on the knee. When that's happened with me, I've had the fluid drained off and some cortisone injected. Unfortunately, it does tend to happen again and again.

Lois x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Iris, haven't you had septic arthritis recently? If so, perhaps you should get to the doctors soon to get the swelling looked at. I know you're on antibiotics but you can't be too careful.
    x
  • dorcas
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    hi Iris, haven't you had septic arthritis recently? If so, perhaps you should get to the doctors soon to get the swelling looked at. I know you're on antibiotics but you can't be too careful.
    x

Thanks Sally,
    Do you know, I hadn't given that a thought! I definitely would not like it if the two are linked and I had to go through the same intense treatment in hospital again.......!':cry:'

but thanks for making me think about it...I can be a bit dense at times and equally slow to take action...you'd think I'd have learned by now!

I will get it checked out. defo. x

thanks everybody!x

Irisx
  • salamander
    Options
    Hi Iris, there may not be a link at all but septic arthur is pretty nasty and I wouldn't want you to go through that again!
    xx
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    wibberley wrote:
    Hi Iris,

I think it's a build up of fluid behind the knee, caused by arthritis. It can be removed but as its there to defend something or other(?), most rheumy's advise against removing it.

It can burst, and cause swelling on the knee. When that's happened with me, I've had the fluid drained off and some cortisone injected. Unfortunately, it does tend to happen again and again.

Lois x

That was eactly what my dr told me mine was.
    He said because the cartlidge was damaed the synovial fluid is not there to protect the bones etc..... not exactly sure what he said but along those lines. It is like your bodies way of protecting the joint.
  • dorcas
    Options
    Well....I did go and see the doc today.....

he said it was 'probably' a Baker's Cyst but would not be touching it as in addition to the cyst, the whole knee is like a balloon! (he didn't say 'balloon' was kinder and said very swollen and angry)

The doc then tel. my consultant and now I have to go into the Rheumy Day Ward tomorrow so's they can decide what to do with it/ me. Said to expect to stay in. ****

I am sooooooo fedddd upppppp!!!!!

I am going to drag arther out and punch his face in!!

Irisx
  • salamander
    Options
    I bet you do! But I'm glad you will be getting the treatment you need. You've really been through the mill lately haven't you? Lots of hugs and let us know how you get on.
    Sally xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Oh Iris I hope they don't keep you and well sending a (((( )))) and a hope you will be home again soon either tomorrow or soon after. Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Iris :shock:

Glad you did see the doc, but no wonder you are fed up with arther.
    a055.gif
    You have a good rant love, you deserve one. Do hope they don't need to keep you in. Just sending hugs and positive vibes your way ((( )))
    Chris
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh Iris, you really are going through it! I can't believe you've got to go in again.....you escaped so recently........
    Lots of hugs and xxxxxx

Annie
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks muchly Cris, Chris, Sally and Annie!

I am resigned to the probability of staying in hospital again and shouldn't really be complaining about it as the docs are being careful and just trying to help.

If I get stuck in hospital over the weekend you can organise a jail break for me!

Irisx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Oh we are past masters at hospital break outs :wink: You take care and hopefully see you back here tomorrow night. ((( ))) Cris x
  • claire1986
    claire1986 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey guys, this has me worried now but to know sum1 else is kinda going thru the same thing. My knee never fully straitened after a synevectomy and wakes me up during the night when i move and try to straiten, it jolts and causes loadsa pain. Painkillers and then try to nod back over its awful. Back at rheumy tuesday though so that will be of help! Im sick of walking with a bent knee. It does have a swelling at the back of it, but not huge, just wish i cud straiten it and i cant!!!!!
  • skezier
    Options
    Good luck for thursday Claire and nice to meet you. Take care and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Cris
  • claire1986
    claire1986 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Tuesday lol! Thanks i think i need all the luck available lol. Been waiting so long for this appointment!
  • wibberley
    Options
    Good luck Claire and Iris,

I hope your treatment is straightforward and.....swift!

Lois x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Claire,

Sorry my eyes just don't work anymore :oops: either that or it its the brain :wink: I just hope he can sort you out a bit cus it gets easier once they have done that much. Sometimes its a long wait eh? You take care Cris
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    just popped by to let you know that I am ok and say thanks again for all your messages...

It is a Baker's Cyst as all you wise folks already knew! I had the knee aspirated and the docs did an ultrasound and arthrogram to see what's going on. To be on the safe side, and because of previous septic joint, they are also doing blood cultures to make sure there's nothing nasty still floating about in there!.

I was kept in hospital overnight but after much pleading by me they let me come home today under strict instructions to rest...ha ha! no choice anyway!
    I've to go back in on Monday for results and for the doc to look at the knee again. If bloods are ok they will give me a steroid injection; might have to stay another night though.

Claire,
    I hope I haven't caused you to worry? do hope you get answers to your questions about your knee on Tuesday and that with treatment and physio you can get the knee straight again.
    The rheumys' are good and in my experience are very thorough and caring too.

let us know how you get on..keep your chin up! Iris xxx
  • salamander
    Options
    hi Iris, so pleased you are back home and hope the results are ok.
    You must be feeling a lot more comfortable.
    xx