Home after THR

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 19. Feb 2010, 05:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Its Wed evening and I'm home after THR last Friday.......Got home on Monday about teatime so just thought I would pop in and tell you and find out how everyone else was getting on.
I'm not sure what I think???? I suppose at the back of my mind was ...bad hip gone, new hip in no pain.....but thats not the case. I'm still in pain and feeling very squeamish....not been sick since the op day and the day after that but cant really face food.
Sorry to be so down.....but the thought of having a 2nd one done!!!!!!! well......at the moment I would say no LOL but might change my mind.
Love
Hileena

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    Good to see you back. I`m sorry you still have pain, but hopefully it is `surgery` pain instead of the grinding arthur type pain. Keep taking the pain relief regularly, don`t wait til it wears off before taking next dose. The best thing is to pre-empt it and keep the levels of pain relief up. Also , rest , doing too much will make your pain worse, no matter how tempting it is to try to do things now you`re home.
    NB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hillena

Well done you :)

You will feel able to have the other one done.

You are being a bit hard on yourself I think - amazing! you have had major surgery girl :shock: You may well feel really rough at first and serioulsy regret it ( I did with my back op) but I sure don't now :)

we all recover at different rates and you will in yor own good time.

You rest

take it easy

come on her and get support

I for one am very proud of you :D

take care

Love

Toni x

Ps you sleep well
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Just going off line soon but thought I would pop an answer in....I've been sent home with paracetamol 2 4 times a day which is what I was on for arthur and also tramadol.......the same....only they said one or 2 four times a day.
    I tend to take 2 in the morning because I'm so sore with not having moved all night {on my back with pillows around me etc} and 2 at night but in between I'm taking one at lunchintime approx and 1 at tea time approx.......I didnt really want to take the full dosage unless I needed it.
    As for sleep well.....that is a joke LOL LOL.....on my back, pillow between my legs and not moving all night........I think its great if I manage 2 hours before i waken for quite a while. Thanks for the support.....dont know what I would do without this forum for advvice etc
    Love
    Hilena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hilleena

I was the same after my back

The trick really is to keep taking the meds.

take them alternately every two housr if you can (inless they all contain paratcetamol of course) keep AHEAD of the pain. If you have anti -inflams take them too

It will go off but It took me weeks to not regret my op.

I promise it will all come well in time.

Love

Toni
    Sleep as well as you can Xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    Its really no time at all for a big operation, you've probably still got drugs from the surgery floating around which will account for nausia and all surgery can be painful for quite some time, you have lots of internal bruising to heal and stuff.

If you are really worried, you could try ringing the surgeon's secretary or the ward you were in, thay may put your mind at rest. Your GP may give you some help too. If in any real doubt - seek advice. Good luck for a speedy recovery! :wink:
    Love Sue :)
    PS My Mum had a lot of surgery on her back and always said sucking a Polo mint was as good as anything, she'd go into hospital with a big pack of them! Just a thought. :)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Hileena!
    just popped by to say welcome back ....
    no doubt it will take time for things to settle after such a big op ....your body has had a lot to cope with after all!

but I dohope you will quickly get the pain under control and also manage some healing sleep.

take care.lots of gentle hugs. Irisx
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi Hileena,
    Well done you - you've done the hard bit and now you're out the other end! I'm sure you will feel better very soon and long term it will all be worth it, but as others have said, it's very early days and it takes time. I often feel a bit weepy when come home - think it's a combination of relief and drugs!! :shock: Take care, sending get well hugs!!! XX
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Well done and welcome back!

Don't be sorry for feeling down, as the others have said you have just had major surgery, it's no easy thing at all!

I'm almost 10 weeks post op, things still aren't perfect but they definitely are better than before, it's a long road for recovery but well worth it! Just make sure you carry on taking your meds, do your physio as often as you can, listen to what your physio tells you, they know best.

With sleeping, it is going to be tough at first only being able to sleep on your back, I was waking up almost every hour. After about 4 weeks I was able to start sleeping on my unoperated side but you will know when it is right for you, try not to rush it.

I'm also due to have my other hip replaced sometime in the coming months, for the first few weeks I absolutely dreaded the thought of having to do it all over again but have recently got to the point where I realise my new hip is better than the one they haven't replaced yet and round two can't come round soon enough so hang on in there!

If you have any questions you are more than welcome to ask.

All the best.

Caroline xXx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

It's still such early days yet, you're bound to be in some sort of pain because you've had major surgery. Maybe you're expecting too much too soon. :|

Try taking the 2 paracetamol every 6 hours, then you can't exceed the 'not more than 8 in 24 hours' dose and you'll also have a dose to help you through the night if you need it. It may be best not to cut down on meds yet as you need them to get you through these early days.

The nausea is probably the General Anaestetic, I know I felt sick for days afterwards it takes a while to get out of your system.

You will get a bit better each day that passes, promise.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Welcome back and I am sorry your in so much pain but hopefully it will really start to improve for you very soon. I know both my feet and back took a bit of time to be 'comfortable' after their opps and well sending you a ((( ))) and a hope it will start to get easier for you soon. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Hileena

First of all, so pleased to see you are back home, safely, with your new hip. It will take time to become friends with it. I am in the process of doing just that with my new knee. I am a few weeks post op in advance of you and although it is a different new joint I am sure there are similarities in the healing process.

I must say, you were in hospital a very short time. My maths is not good but I make it that you were only in 3 nights. I was in for 5 nights and did not come out until the evening the following day. If you had a General Anaesthetic I was told not to be alarmed if I felt "down" around day 3 - it is the anaesthetic working its way out of the system and it soon passes.

Just before I was going down for my second knee op, performed by the same consultant, who did my other knee, 2 years ago he said to me, don't expect this op to be the same as the last one, as that is what all my patients tell me and he was right. There have been differences and one of them is that it is not so painful. I am progressing faster, this time around. I am still in quite a lot of pain, mainly at night but, like last time, I know it will diminish with time. It is a major op, we have both had a major op and it will not be rushed. Overdoing it, will delay recuperation slightly. I learnt my lesson with the last knee op. :oops:

It is very early days, for you Hileena, it will work out fine and you will not regret it at all, once you and your new hip have got used to each other. Nearly three weeks on, my new knee and I are bonding well. I massage cream into the scar once or twice a day and talk to it nicely :lol::lol:

Do let us know how you go on and there are many peeps on here who have had hip replacements and will jump in to help and support you.

Lot of love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • deemac
    deemac Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Heleena,
    Just want to say welcome home, sorry you are in pain (it will ease though). Night time is the worst time for pain for me as well. As the others have said take your pain killers, and rest plenty it will get better. love dee x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Glad you got home but you were not in for long were you. :shock:

You will feel some pain as its very early days yet.
    Think about how the muscles and tissue have been cut.
    Did you have a general or were you awake throughout.

Try a V-shaped pillow for sleeping as being on your back
    is difficult. I too didnt get a lot of sleep and I was sick
    quite a few times in hospital (I was in for 9 days) and I
    also like you could not eat much, I lost a bit of weight but
    am happily putting it back on.

I am 9 weeks on from my THR and I can't thank the surgeon
    enough, to be rid of all that pain feels wonderful.

You will soon be feeling like that too.

Kath
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

The ops over and you will soon notice the difference.I had pain on and off afterwards and spent a lot of time worrying.The pain wasnt the old hip pain but a different feeling.I worried about over use and circulation.
    I had some horrible sickness the first week after op and I had a spinal anaesthetic.In hosp I woke up one morning and my head was spinning ,I felt faint and I knew I was going to be sick.I buzzed the nurse and she threw a paper pot at me!I was really angry cos I couldnt sit up and felt dreadful so I burst into tears and told her to come back and help me.Honestly I could have clobbeed her!
    I had 2 pints of blood replaced and blamed that.I have been fine since.
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Hileena!
    Welcome home! Wow, they must have really pleased with how op went to let you out so soon. I was in for 5 days, myself. Whatever you do, do those exercises every day but do expect a bit of ankle swelling. Get it checked out by doc if you do to eliminate chance of infection but it is usually just effect of op. The pain really does ease in time, so don't rush to do anything & stay on your crutches until physios say otherwise.
    love Pennie X
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thank you ......you lovely people......
    I was in 3 days after the operation....Had the op on Fri and was out on Monday......I had 2 lots of blood transfusion when I was in.
    Its still covered with a waterproof dressing and is leaking but not outside of the dressing and the district nurse is coming to take a blood sample tomorrow and will look at it but its due to be changed Monday and then the staples out some time after that.
    I had a spinal block with a light anaesthetic.....Someone ...sorry cant remember who....said do what the physio tells you......I've just been left to get on with it....she "ticked me off her list" in the hospital and sent me away with exercises to do.
    Well its another late night....10.30pm LOL but that is late with the way I'm feeling
    Love
    Hileena
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

I have no experience of THR but am puzzled that you have not been offered further (any) physio? ...just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm sure others who have had the op will know more and be able to comment from their experience........just wanted again to wish you strength and healing. Irisx
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Hileena,
    Glad your op's over and you are home recovering.
    Seems strange that you've got no physio appointment.
    Anyway, I wish you well - in all senses of the word.
    Dolittle
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Hileeena

Am relieved to know that you are under the care of a district nurse now you are home. With my knee I had stitches and had the knots cut on day 8 although the hospital physio mentioned in passing that it would not matter if it was done a couple of days later ie day 10. Do ask guidance from the nurse as to what the procedure will be in your case.

Regarding physio, I am sure others who have had a THR will come to your aid regarding post op physio exercises,if there are any etc. With the knee op I had my first session post op 12 days later. I find it reassuring to see a physio as I feel "looked after" if you know what I mean. She gives me more exercises to add to my list when I see her.

I do hope you are feeling better in yourself now. :)

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Hileena

think it might be due to where you live as to the physio
    support you get.

When I came home after my THR I had the back up of
    rehabilitation team who called in each day and they told
    me that the service was available until I felt I didnt need
    it any more.

cos I dont live on my own and cos of the dire weather we
    were having, deep snow, I told them to go to other more
    deserving people than myself and that I would phone if I
    had any queries or needed their help.

Keep on with the exercises Hileena
    You will get there and very soon hopefully.

Kath