white blood cell count

Options
julies
julies Member Posts: 68
edited 23. Feb 2010, 16:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Any advice on white blood cell count. Sams was 1.6 and has been going up and down a lot although I only found out today. Consultant took more bloods today to check again, his last blood test was only 2 weeks ago and he has been on 3 monthly test the past 6 months or so.
Consultant reckons it is the arthritis that is causing this and not the drugs.
What does all of this mean and should I be worried?
thanks for any advice
Julie

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    I would be very reluctant to comment on a child's blood test results........but I'm sorry you've been left to worry over it by the consultant!!
    Could you phone the consultant tomorrow and ask him or the rheumy nurse to explain things better? or if that's not possible, why not post a question to the helpline or phone them in the morn?...it can be very helpful just to be able to talk things through...

For what it's worth any time I've had low WBC it's been the meds that've caused it and when they've been stopped the WBC bounces back.

take care and hugs to both of you. try not to worry too much. irisx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Julie,

I am also not sure if a child's blood results are like an adults but think you probably could see if you can ring either your gp, the consultant or the helpline team who would know for sure. My white cells are slightly raised and they tell me its cus I am fighting some infection but its nothing to worry about and well if its the same what he might mean is the arthritis is making Sam's white cell count vary depending on how active it is but I don't know if it is he same with a little un. I hope you can get some clarity on it all. You and Sam take care Cris x
  • julies
    Options
    Hi guys
    Thanks for your replies. I keep forgetting that not everyone on this site remembers who I am.
    I should have explained that I have been a member of this site ever since my son was diagnosed over 4 years ago. He is now 17 so I take it his WBC is in the adult table.
    Is 1.6 very low, does it indicate which type of arthritis he has?
    Sooo many questions :?
    Thanks again
    Julie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Julie,

I can't remember but Joseph did a really good post about this one, if you use the search mode thing it might bring up some info. I remember you but sorry I took the 1 off Sam's age..... don't tell him please :wink: Mine comes up in red cus its higher than it should be but I can't remember what the figures actually are I'm afraid. I shouldn't worry too much though cus it does tend to yo-yo a bit. Is he on the modifiers? To make fully sure what it all means I would phone the rumo nurse if you have one cus she will know. Take care Cris x
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Hi Julie,

having a white count that low is very worrying. It could be due to the arthritis or due to the medication. What are his neutrophils and lymphocytes (sp?) like? I had a dangerously low white count and they took me off all my meds to find out what was causing it. I ended up hvaing to come permanently off one of my meds. I was also advised not to go to uni until the count increased because of the increased risk of serious infection.

I hope you get some answers soon.
  • julies
    Options
    Hi scattered

Thanks for answering my post, I feel awful only coming on now when we have a problem.
    I am going to phone tomorrow for the results and see what they say then. The consultant thinks they should be back up, so here's hoping.
    Hope everything is ok for him going to Uni in September (it's a 7 year course) :shock: :shock:

Thanks again
    luv
    Julie