Apparently I am all better - shame I don't feel it!

Options
kickyloo
kickyloo Member Posts: 66
edited 22. Feb 2010, 09:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw my consultant last week, he examined me and said there is no evidence of active disease at all (inflammatory arthritus).

However, I'm still in as much pain as ever. Still on sulpha and low level steroids and pregabalin. I thought he might increase the sulpha (on 4 p/day) but he said no point as there is no inflammation.

He thinks I'm in pain because of lack of exercise (barely moved off the sofa the last year) and I'm starting physio today. But I don't understand how weakened muscles can cause this amount of pain (which is exactly like arthritus pain). Although I do feel more and worse pain after I do anything (try to go for a walk or do some ironing), so maybe he is right?

Does anyone have any other ideas or sugestions about what is going on with my body?? I feel so confussed.

thank you

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi do feel for you it so hard to keep body moving with inflamitoy arther things bit better so moving more and ended up with hips and knees swollen lol and so much pain did not sleep even with pain meds so can understand how much pain you r in it great bloods sorted and inflimation undercontrol it will take time to get body moving again good luck stick with it sure you will feel better soon fingers r crossed hope physio works . if things do not improve go back to doc could be oa no inflimation in that will need xrays to be sure
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Kicky

They've said that to me before too - i think it's when the diease is not 'active' as far as they can see.

Did he not even suggest physio or something to try??

You have rather been left in limbo.

If it was me I think I'd see the GP and ask for refrral there or even pain clinic???

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Oh dear, poor you

He sounds a bit of an insensitive consultant to say the least. Sorry you still have the pain he thinks shouldn't be there!?

Really hope the physio helps today and that maybe a gradual build up of exercise can help you. Sorry you are fed up with it all. Let us know how you get on and if is doesn't help do get back to the doc.s.
    take care.
    Chris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kicky,

Sorry you have had such a bad consultation and fingers crossed the physio's can help you. hang in there ad hopefully it will get better with their help. Take care Cris
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    High Kicky,
    Some of these consultations can really pull you down, but don't let him put you out of kilter. Let's hope the physio can help with that pain of yours. Let's know how you get on.
    ((( ))))
    Dolittle
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kicky,

It could well be the lack of exercise and I know this because I have first hand experience of it. Weak muscles do mimic arthritis pain.

Last September I took up the exercises I'd been given by physios on the advice of my surgeon because my left knee replacement is loosening and it was very painful when weight-bearing and with general useage. The surgeon thought that if things didn't improve I would have to go on the list for another replacement (a revision) :shock: :shock: - he gave me three months to see if exercising helped.

I dutifully started the exercises and within a week or so the pain started to subside. I got hubby to drag my exercise bike out of the shed and I also started using that on a regular basis too.

My knee no longer hurts, I can move around more easily and stay on my legs longer and when I saw my surgeon in December he said that my revision wouldn't need looking at for another year because my muscles were now supporting the joint and that was why my pain had disappeared.

Exercise is so important. Putting just 40 minutes aside in a day to do them can benefit you so much. I hope the physios help to sort you out too.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    good advice Linda.Thankyou for sharing. I had no idea that exercise helped so much and I am quite lazy because I feel tired and we rely on this forum to find these things out sometimes.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    good advice Linda.Thankyou for sharing. I had no idea that exercise helped so much and I am quite lazy because I feel tired and we rely on this forum to find these things out sometimes.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Until this latest bout of bad pain I didn't realise how good it was for pain relief either.

It's like when we're stiff in the mornings (although I'm not since Mtx started working) it's moving around that helps the stiffness and pain to go as it releases the body's natural pain endorphins.

I shall get off my soapbox now :wink:

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Until this latest bout of bad pain I didn't realise how good it was for pain relief either.

It's like when we're stiff in the mornings (although I'm not since Mtx started working) it's moving around that helps the stiffness and pain to go as it releases the body's natural pain endorphins.

I shall get off my soapbox now :wink:

i do not know about soap box but what you r saying is true it just finding the balance that hard do to much and set arther off again do not do enough and muscles moan no winning lol
    val
  • kickyloo
    kickyloo Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks Legs. I do find it a lot more helpful when I get advice from someone who actually REALLY knows what it's like. Sometimes I thnk the drs don't have a flipping clue.

But advice taken - I will get on the old exercise bike dutifully!
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Kickyloo

Exercise will help with your weakened muscles and physio is a good idea. However, if there is pain there must be a reason for it. Voice your concerns to your GP and ask her to test for other things that may be causing this pain.

Don't give up.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
    kickyloo wrote:
    Saw my consultant last week, he examined me and said there is no evidence of active disease at all (inflammatory arthritus).

However, I'm still in as much pain as ever. Still on sulpha and low level steroids and pregabalin. I thought he might increase the sulpha (on 4 p/day) but he said no point as there is no inflammation.

He thinks I'm in pain because of lack of exercise (barely moved off the sofa the last year) and I'm starting physio today. But I don't understand how weakened muscles can cause this amount of pain (which is exactly like arthritus pain). Although I do feel more and worse pain after I do anything (try to go for a walk or do some ironing), so maybe he is right?

Does anyone have any other ideas or sugestions about what is going on with my body?? I feel so confussed.

thank you