resting (night-time) splints - any tips?

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 22. Feb 2010, 05:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI

well yesterday I got a resting splint specially made by my OT, and I tried it out last night.

First thing ....... my arm got terribly hot and it was so sweaty :oops: but not sure if there is a way to keep it cooler?

Another thing ...... i just couldn't get my arm to feel comfy, although the wrist and hand felt comfy enough, my shoulder and neck were terrible this morning, partly cos I couldn't get comfy. I tried hugging a pillow but that wasn't helping ..... just not sure of what it best to do :?

and finally ....... I usually switch the light off with my right arm .... nearly fell out of bed trying to use my left arm :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: so I'm wondering what on earth I'll do when I have two to wear :? :? :? :shock:

anyone got any tips on making them work for us not against us?

thanks
WOnky

Comments

• lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Sorry I cant help you here, I have the same problem, I use my resting splints when watching TV etc, and have good intentions,wear them for sleeping but end up having to remove the splints.

Would welcome any tips from others too.

lizzie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    No Tip sWonky

But....

I have such a great picture of you weighed down by your arm....

then when you have two :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hopefully someone else will have more semnse than me :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

the good thing was I didn't clonk hubby at all for which he was very very grateful :D:D:D

it isn't a heavy splint ...... and is quite comfy ....... just going to take some getting used to I think :wink:
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - I have a blue splint for night time - thankfully not worn it for a while as feels so strange and like you, try to reach for things and knock everything over. Tis for right hand as well, as am right handed can cause problems - going loo is a nightmare!!!!!! but not got any suggestions as I think you have tried most I do!!!!

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

I wore night-time resting splints on both hands for years. I don't know if yours are the same design but mine started in the middle of my forearm, came underneath my wrists and palms of the hands to the tips of my fingers. They were fastened with velcro straps.

If they are the same design what about laying some kitchen roll/tissues or even soft cotton between your hands and the splint to see if it helps with the heat - as I remember it the 'plastic' which makes your hands get sweaty.

I did just persevere with mine and I adapted to sleeping with them on very quickly - in the summer my arms were often on top of the covers to keep them cool.

They are very useful for prodding snoring hubbies :wink::lol: and the worst thing about them is when you need the loo in the night and also when you get a cold 'cos blowing you nose is a major operation. :roll:

Hope you get used to them soon.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • katat1
    katat1 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    HI

well yesterday I got a resting splint specially made by my OT, and I tried it out last night.

First thing ....... my arm got terribly hot and it was so sweaty :oops: but not sure if there is a way to keep it cooler?

Another thing ...... i just couldn't get my arm to feel comfy, although the wrist and hand felt comfy enough, my shoulder and neck were terrible this morning, partly cos I couldn't get comfy. I tried hugging a pillow but that wasn't helping ..... just not sure of what it best to do :?

and finally ....... I usually switch the light off with my right arm .... nearly fell out of bed trying to use my left arm :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: so I'm wondering what on earth I'll do when I have two to wear :? :? :? :shock:

anyone got any tips on making them work for us not against us?

thanks
    WOnky

Hello Wonky,

Last year when I was first diagnosed I was given splints for both wrists/hands. They were made of a black synthetic fabric with velcro straps and they were very hot and itchy to wear. I cut some sleeves off an old cotton T shirt and pulled them on before putting on the splints and that made them much more comfortable and wearable.

Hope that helps?

Best,
    Kat
    x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

the good thing was I didn't clonk hubby at all for which he was very very grateful :D:D:D

it isn't a heavy splint ...... and is quite comfy ....... just going to take some getting used to I think :wink:

Can you have an overbed switch? On the bedhead itself if there is one, otherwise on the wall the bed is against? I have one and it is a real boon.

Annie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

As Legs said kitchen roll would help anything to keep your arms off the surface I think might well help. As to getting comfy in them..... I have yet to have some so can't help with that but hope yo will find a way. Slurps and ((( )))'s xx
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    I've just sat a laughed my head off! My imagination's been running riot.
    They made me one of these - I did actually clout my OH turning over in bed .. he had a nasty little bruise and told everyone he was going for a divorce because he was now a battered husband.

I got fed up with it and it's now decorating the dressing table drawer. My fingers are so bent now anyway, I don't think it would be much support.
    Dolittle
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi Wonky,
    What are your splints made of? Mine are that plastic stuff with holes in that is heated in hot water and moulded to fit. I get a bit warm in high summer but they're usually okay. Do they fit properly? I had to have mine adjusted several times, only little bits but they made a big difference, and they were made for me. She did have to put extra straps on to stop me escaping, but once I'd got used to them I stopped trying to take them off in my sleep!! Lights are tricky though -I put mine on in the dark as can only reach the bedside light with my left hand!! :shock: The OT made mine and they feel instantly comfy as soon as I put them on - the best advice I can give is perseveare as they do feel odd, but to take them back if they don't feel right and get them adjusted. Josie xx
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    I have 2 made of the moulded plastic and velcro and found on hot nights i put a thin piece of material on the splint to prevent the sweating. I found that I take them off in my sleep and I too have clobbered OH often when turning over :lol:

An interesting point is that my OT said not to wear both splints and alternate them or wear them on the worst hand as its not safe to wear both if you needed to get out in an emergency such as fire your splint would hinder your exit as its harder to remove both.
    I tend to weat them when my hand and wrist is really painful as it helps to keep them still and straight without muscle power. I find if I wear them too long my hand and wrist become stiff so thats probably why I find them on the floor in the mornings :lol:

Good luck with yours x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Wonky, I have given up wearing my resting splints, they are just so awkward, especially so if you want to go to the bathroom, I have been known to turn over and hit Malcolm, I wear my working splints at night if things are really bad, not suggesting you do the same but that is how I cope love Jaspercatxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thanks everyone for your replies ....... so glad that I'm not on my own :wink:

hubby is yet to receive his first clonking, so is very grateful :lol: last night was much more comfy, and I do think that the night splint will get more comfy as I get used to it ... it is certainly helping me to be more comfortable which is a great help.

THe OT did make the night one specially .... it is plastic moulded round my arm just as you all described .... although mine does not have holes in it .... maybe that would be cooler!!!

I think I will need to put something between my arm and the splint, but also I do think it needs to be adjusted, as she made the splint at 11am and by night time I find that some days my arm has really swollen more than you think it would .... so I'll mention that when I next see the OT in about 10 days.

thanks again .... isn't this forum wonderful :D
    hugs
    WOnky
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Wonky

Are you getting use to them? I find mine so comfortable, but very rarely use mine together. As I said before, my left hand and wrist is far worse than my right. I think I already have nerve damage in my left hand.
    If, in the summer time, you find it too hot, try an ice pack on it. I bought one or two and if you lay it on top of the hand, you'll find it helps.
    Perservere, I do wash mine or wipe them down with antiseptic.
    I find that I now lay my pillows in a different way. I don't know how big a bed you have. I have two square oxford pillows first, one ord one placed down the centre and another one placed behind me and then another one on top of them, so that it looks a bit like an armchair. If you only have a single, or double bed you could perhaps put them in a V shape. I find the cushtie cushions useful to rest your arm on too. When my arms and hands were so painful I found this very comforting. If you go on Amazon, you will find these cushtie cushions there.

Hope this helps.

Joy
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hello Wonky

Are you getting use to them? I find mine so comfortable, but very rarely use mine together. As I said before, my left hand and wrist is far worse than my right. I think I already have nerve damage in my left hand.
    If, in the summer time, you find it too hot, try an ice pack on it. I bought one or two and if you lay it on top of the hand, you'll find it helps.
    Perservere, I do wash mine or wipe them down with antiseptic.
    I find that I now lay my pillows in a different way. I don't know how big a bed you have. I have two square oxford pillows first, one ord one placed down the centre and another one placed behind me and then another one on top of them, so that it looks a bit like an armchair. If you only have a single, or double bed you could perhaps put them in a V shape. I find the cushtie cushions useful to rest your arm on too. When my arms and hands were so painful I found this very comforting. If you go on Amazon, you will find these cushtie cushions there.

Hope this helps.

Joy

HI Joy,

well you made me smile about the pillows in bed :lol::lol: cos sometimes it can feel like there's the Berlin wall between me and hubby :lol::lol::lol::lol: as I have so many some times.

the OT had a cushtie cushion and I thought then that it would be really handy, so I might have a look and see about getting one or two - thanks :D

not sure whether to wear the night splint tonight - they said not to if it gave me pins and needles .... it hasn't but I already have pins and needles in that arm tonight :shock: from my neck I think .... so :? :? :? :? confused what to do .... will probably try with and without and see which is better.

thanks again
    Wonky
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

Necks are horrible things....... Have you had yours looked at at all? I gt a lot of pins and needles in my arms, hands and shoulder and it mostly comes from the neck....... You go careful and I hope you had a decent night. Luv slurps and ((( ))) Cris xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Morning Wonky.

You don't have a trapped nerve somewhere do, neck, elbow. Have you seen your gp about physio. As you know I have been having chiropractitioner sessions and I did think I had sorted out the numbness and pain in my left hand. It has come back again so I am worried about there being permanent nerve damage in my fingers now. It is complicated and we just don't know what is best.
    I think you try and lie in a certain position to make your arms and hands comfortable, but in turn, upset your neck which in turns, traps the nerve again.

I know when I wake up in the morning, it is a complex programme of dislodging one joint inorder to release another and you can't hurry it. Unless, it is a case of urgent race to the loo.

I love reading all these threads and realise that I am not the only one having problems. Just try and perservere. Just wear one splint at a time until you get use to it. Even if you only wear it 1 or 2 hrs a night it helps. Try extending that time eachnight.

I had the problem where the splint would dig into my arm and have had it adjusted many times.

The splint is made to keep your fingers at the right angle so if you are having pins and needles or pain in the morning, it means that it is bringing those joints back to the right position again. It is to stop us clenching our hand into a fist at night

I am having a rather vicious flare up in my hands at the moment and you are suppose to rest them at times like this. is that right?

Joy