24 and newly diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis - HELP!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Gemma,

It sounds like you've been given a lot of great advice already. I just wanted to say hello and offer a friendly ear if ever you need it. I've also recently been diagnosed and I'm 21, so I understand the range of emotions you're going through.

Take good care.
    Sophie x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

I can't add to all the good advice you have had except to endorse pain clinics as if you get a good one they are so useful in helping with controlling the pain. I promise you there is life beyond the arthritis and well though I wish you hadn't had to find the site its nice to meet you. Take care Cris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi gemma

good to hear you doing a little better - are we helping?! hopefully we are

i found that I accepted it bit at a time and you might do the same - a bit like the seven satges of greiving... you know anger, denial etc and I went back and forwards at times through teh stages too.

Get your meds sorted and you will feel so much more under control of your life.

Keep talking

love

Toni x
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey Gemma,

the private messages are to be found on top of where the forum topics are listed, next to the button where your sign in. It will either say 'you have no new messages' or 'you have ..however many.. new messages'
    :) just sent u one. hope that helps! x
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Gemma i was diagnosed with r/a when i was 35 i'm now 41 i have 2 boys who are now 18 and 20. It was a shock to me too when i found out, i was worried i wouldn't be able to do the things i loved doing. in time you will come to accept your r/a just take each day one at a time. I am on few meds for my r/a which have helped took some time getting the right ones which work for me but you will get there, this is a great forum and there is allways someone here to talk too. send me a message if you ever need to talk take care.
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • gemmareece
    gemmareece Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

It's nice to hear from you, especially as your close to my age as well. How have you been coping with RA? It defiantely does make you have emotion's that I didn't even know existed!

Take care, Gem xx
  • gemmareece
    Options
    Hi Cris,

I'm definatly going to ask my nurse about the pain clinic's and see what they are like at my hopsital. It's nice to meet you to, I've met alot of lovely people on here already, and it really helps talking to people who are going through the same things as me.

Take care, Gem xx
  • gemmareece
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Yes, you all are thank you! I feel like that today. It's getting my head around it and then still trying to get on with my normal things as it helps to forget that I have it sometimes. That probably is a bit of denial, but it's helping at the moment.

I'm actually looking forward to going on my meds, as weird as that is! Think I've got it in to my head that they will help, so want them as soon as.

Talk soon, take care, Gem xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gem.

I use a lot of denial in my cope mechanism :wink: It really does help me :lol::lol: You find out about the pain clinic and I hope they will be able to help you as much as this one here does me. Take care and glad you found the site. I don't know what I would do without these people some days. Cris x
  • gemmareece
    Options
    Hi Julie,

It's nice to hear from you. I think that has been my main worry, that it will stop me from enjoying my life with my son, and being able to do all the things that I want to do. I'm trying to stay positive though and take each day as it comes. My hardest thing is to not over do it as I hate sitting still and am always doing something to keep busy. I'm going to have to make sure that I rest though as otherwise it will catch up with me the next day.

Your right this forum is great, and already has been a great support to me.

Take care, Gem xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    gemmareece wrote:
    Hi Sophie,

It's nice to hear from you, especially as your close to my age as well. How have you been coping with RA? It defiantely does make you have emotion's that I didn't even know existed!

Take care, Gem xx

Hi Gem,

I work with 2 year olds but can't imagine how hard you must be finding it having one at home! Do you get much help with him? I've gone through a range of emotions....major denial, being devastated and feeling angry at my loss of independence and mobility. One of the hardest things, for me, is dealing with the tiredness but I'm learning to pace myself and trying to accept my new limits. Things are moving along though, I'm being assessed by occupational therapy, am going to start hydrotherapy soon and have a steroid injection in 2 weeks. The medication is starting to work, although it brings it's own host of problems - side effects! I'm feeling a bit more positive and time goes on though.

I keep being told that the treatment nowadays is better than ever and that plenty of people live a good quality of life with arthritis.

Hope this helps.
    love Sophie x
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Gemma.

I’m 28 and was diagnosed with arthritis when I was 11.

I don’t have children so I have no idea what it’s like trying to cope with them and arthritis but I do understand what it’s like to live with it.

Sounds like you’ve been given some great advice anyway and I can only echo what others have said.

Take it one day at a time and you will get yourself into a routine that will be good for you and your lifestyle. I try and plan my days so if I’ve been out at night I then I know I have to have a good rest the next day. I sleep a lot and try and rest most afternoons, it’s not always possible but I really do try and it does help. You’ll know what works for you.

Hope the medication helps.

If you need to chat you know where we are.

Sally.
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    gemmareece wrote:
    Hi Claire,

I thought it would take about that to get used to everything, that's exactly what my son's being doing to!! It's so sweet, bless them.

Where about's do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested to know if there are any groups or people around where I live to meet up with.

Take care, Gem xxx

Hi Gemma,

I am in Plymouth hun. I haven't got that far yet as I just want meds sorted so pain starts to go but at the moment with little one at home and practically living up the hospital with appointments and tests I haven't got a lot of time left!!! lol

How are you doing hun, are you finding it a little easier to accept now. Hope youare and been thinking of you xxxxx
  • gemmareece
    Options
    Hi Claire,

Oh, that's where one of my friends is from! I suppose I'm just trying to stay strong and positive with having my little boy and running my business, I don't really have anyone to take it over from me. I still feel like chucking it all in sometimes though, but know that won't help me.

I think I still don't believe it really, although got major dizziness and nausea today, guessing from the tabs, so that doesn't make it easy to forget!

How are you doing at the moment? What tests are you having done at the mo? xxx
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    gemmareece wrote:
    Hi Claire,

Oh, that's where one of my friends is from! I suppose I'm just trying to stay strong and positive with having my little boy and running my business, I don't really have anyone to take it over from me. I still feel like chucking it all in sometimes though, but know that won't help me.

I think I still don't believe it really, although got major dizziness and nausea today, guessing from the tabs, so that doesn't make it easy to forget!

How are you doing at the moment? What tests are you having done at the mo? xxx

Hi Gemma,
    I had blood tests done and my rhematoid factor was 19.5 and apparenelty should be 5!!! I have had xrays of feet but ultrashound this eve, I have had a fantastic day with no pain in hands, its the best I have been in ages. Apparently I haven no arthritis thi seve and luckaly no damage. I dont get it as normally they are like balloons but apparently due to having a good day he cant see anything!! Have not got any pain killers really other than paracetamol and tramadil at night. Got rummy appointmanet on the 25th March so hopefully its ok.xxxxxxxxxx Keep going hun and chin up it should hopefully calm down very soon.
    xxxxx