Walking stick and children !?!?!?

Options
dean76
dean76 Member Posts: 112
edited 20. Feb 2010, 15:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am soon to start work experience as part of my Uni course in a childrens nursery. Working with 0-3 years we have been told we'll find that if we fit in well within our placements there will become alot of 'in-house' jobs that arise. Better the devil they know so too speak.

I want to work with 3-5's when qualified so dont do a 3-5yrs placement until the Autumn. Dont get me wrong I am sure the under 3's placement will be rewarding but the thing is I have Arthritis and use a walking stick. When Im told this week were Im going to be placed I have been advised to ring the Nursery and pop along to see them to introduce myself and (let them see my stick) in advance of me turning up on the morning when I start my placement and they get stereotypes.

Members of my family have told me it will put the parents off to see me using a stick and they will be concerned if I can cope looking after their children. I had considered this myself despite inclusion and EO people can jump to conclusions. My O.T has told me that it will put nurseries off employing me as they will presume I cant do certain things. I know its wrong to think like this but being realistic. Some people do stereotype and are predjeduce. Im really unsure if I should rtry and manage without the stick just while Im at the placement or not ?????

Many thanks for any advice xxxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey Deano

You go for it!! Do what they suggest and visit first - let em see how ok you are. Thats should alay any fears the staff may have.

I know people can stereotype buuy not everyone does. You go for it - you will be brilliant and that will challenge there prejudices positively.

When does it satrt - your placement?

Love

Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Dean

I can see why you and others have some reservations about how it may go working at the placement with 0 - 3 year old children. I think it is a very sensible idea to call the nursery once you have more details and to ask to visit them beforehand. Be perfectly honest with them from the start and they will respect you for that. I would strongly advise against trying to cope without your stick. On meeting the staff and sussing out the place beforehand you and they will see exactly how you manage and they will be grateful that you did pop in beforehand. I am sure it will all go well and you will enjoy the placement. Children at the inquisitive age are so adorable and interesting. I wonder how long the placement is for?

I wish you all the very best with that and take my hat off to you. You are doing well.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    I agree with Toni and Elna
    dont strugle without your stick, go before hand and let them see you and the stick then any issue they or you have you can sort out before you start.
    i work only part time with 2 to 4 yr olds and i love it :D
    good luck
    let us know how it goes
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    HI DEAN, IF THEY ARE ANYTHING LIKE MY 3YR OLD THE CHILDREN WILL (ooops! sorry about the caps!) be curious, in fact my daughter used to copy me and using an umbrella, she told everyone it was her walking stick likr mummies!!
    but as a mum of a toddler i would have no worries, but yes people do judge sadly. but don't be put off, as long as you are honest with the staff and parents if they ask, then i'm sure you'll be fine!
    enjoy it and let us know how you get on!
    sue
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Just tell the children you have a bad leg They are good at understanding.My kids have grown up with it and it is nothing unusual to them but you do need to remember children love to run about and get excited. Mine do need reminding sometimes
    Hope it goes well.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Dean

After my Total Knee Replacement, very recently,my grand daughter of 18 months liked to walk with me in the home and she very gently held on to my walking aid as if helping me, in such a loving way. She also gently stroked my "bad" knee to make it better. She is very used to seeing her great grandad who always uses a stick.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi there

Thanks for all your support. Was really kind youve all really cheered me on more than I was when I posted the message. Suppose I have just let it all get me down and I admit I am more worried about what people will think about me because I use a stick; especially after my OT yesterday told me I might miss out on a job that comes up in the nursery because I put them off employing me incase there are things I cant do - that is until they ask and get to know me!

Im a Secondary teacher and couldnt cope with the fact there were 18 buildings on the school site! So Im retraining to do Early Years doing the EYPS course with the intention of teaching in a school nursery when Im qualified.

I start the first Wednesday in March for 3 days a week, then after Easter Im there till 27 May full time.

Many thanks once again, Christina x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Christina

Brilliant I think you retraining and all that.

Once you get there they'll see what you can and cant do wont they.

WE'll be right here behind you. :D

Love

toni xx