The Elusive State of Happiness

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 23. Feb 2010, 12:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I went to an art exhibition recently which was entitled ' The Elusive State of Happiness'. All the works of art were an exploration of that theme, and it made me think about happiness.

Abraham Lincoln said,'' Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.'' I tend to agree with that. What do you think :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    joan i know quite a few people and some will never be happy as the cup is always half empty never mind what they have it is neer enough.
    me i always see cup half full and even the smallest treat makes me happy life is for living and if you do not enjoy everything you can while you r here then you only have your self to blame no regrets my moto
    val
  • joanlawson
    edited 20. Feb 2010, 18:17
    Options
    life is for living and if you do not enjoy everything you can while you r here then you only have your self to blame no regrets my moto

I agree with you, Val. It is a lot to do with attitude to life, and I think we do make our own happiness to a large extent.

The theme of the exhibition was that happiness can be elusive though. Maybe we have to grasp it while we can.

Having a philosophical half hour :!: Sorry folks :!: :D

Joan
  • valval
    Options
    well we need to think as we can not always do what we want when we want to can we we all have to plan ahead
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm sure it is to do with attitude..........those who expect it as a right are usually those who are unhappy. Those of us who find it in small things are usually the happier bunnies.

Annie
  • valval
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    I'm sure it is to do with attitude..........those who expect it as a right are usually those who are unhappy. Those of us who find it in small things are usually the happier bunnies.

Annie
    you r so right annie
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    You can still be happy.

Lots of peeps have always said to me if I were you I would rather die :!:

Well I know my body is not much, well for a start it has become about 3ft smaller.

As Val has said about her cup, well mine must be the same.

There is not much I can do either. But what I can and sometimes have done is make my own happiness.

Yes there are perfectly fit peeps more unhappy than me. They may have money but life is not always about money.

It is the happiness you create that is worth more.

Well, that is my view.

Trish xxxx
  • joanlawson
    edited 20. Feb 2010, 17:36
    Options
    well we need to think as we can not always do what we want when we want to can we we all have to plan ahead

Sometimes plans don't work out, and other times they work out even better than you imagined.

Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for happiness to appear. It can come when you least expect it.
  • valval
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    You can still be happy.

Well I know my body is not much, well for a start it has become about 3ft smaller.

There is not much I can do either. But what I can and sometimes have done is make my own happiness.

Yes there are perfectly fit peeps more unhappy than me. They may have money but life is not always about money.

Well, that is my view.

Trish xxxx

and you create happiness for us all we love you and you might not get out and about much but you r very rich in good friends and we r richer for knowing you thankyou for being you
    val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie

Hi Annie

Yes, I think you are right. People who expect it as a right are likely to find it elusive.

There is a tendency for people to look for happiness in the wrong places too eg material things and status.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    You can still be happy.

Well, that is my view.

Trish xxxx

Hi Trish

You are a lesson to us all about how to create happiness. We are all richer for knowing you.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    That's nice, Wulf. It proves that happiness isn't elusive if you know where to look.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Joan and all

I fully appreciate the point being made on this thread and all the above comments that a positive outlook is within an individuals control.

However I think anyone who suffers from clinical depression as I do, might find the direct quote by Abraham Lincoln to be a little insensitive.

Sorry to pour cold water here this is just my opinion.

Chris
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I`m afraid I too find this to be a rather insensitive post.

Happiness can be snatched from us in a heartbeat. ......Ange.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Joan and all

I fully appreciate the point being made on this thread and all the above comments that a positive outlook is within an individuals control.

However I think anyone who suffers from clinical depression as I do, might find the direct quote by Abraham Lincoln to be a little insensitive.

Sorry to pour cold water here this is just my opinion.

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry if you found the quote insensitive. I also suffer from bouts of depression, so I know only too well what you mean. At those times, happiness is far beyond individual control. Then it truly is elusive.
  • joanlawson
    edited 20. Feb 2010, 18:23
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    I`m afraid I too find this to be a rather insensitive post.

Happiness can be snatched from us in a heartbeat. ......Ange.

I'm so sorry, Ange. I didn't mean to be insensitive. I was just thinking about the nature of happiness in general terms, prompted by the title of the art exhibition.

I feel that it is a valid topic to discuss, but I'm sorry if you have found it insensitive in any way.
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    Options
    happiness, is where adn when you find it.

i good sleep makes me happy. copable pain makes me happy.

to find a pair of shoes that looked good and didn't make my feet, legs, back, shoulder ache even more, would make me ecstatic :lol:

when i am in a depression i just try to not get angry at life or people who are not suffering as i am at that time.

happiness is elusive because we look where we may be made happy, not where we may make others happy, especially those whom we don't know.

sangita
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Sangita

Some wise words here. I especially like your last sentence.
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    Options
    thank you joan

i don't know about wise, but at the grand age of being in my mid40's i've realised that we are meant to look for money in our twenties, then kids in our thirties, then our family (adn that is ALL kith and kin, not just partner and kids) and learn that they are happiness.

not houses, cars, shoes, handbags, holidays.

actually, jsut hte best health we can all have adn education

thannks for this thread

sangita
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you, Sangita

I tend to get rather philosophical at times, but I like to hear the opinions of others on these kinds of subjects.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    "Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can 'pursue happiness' as long as my brain lives. But neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it."
    Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers)

But, neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will not be happy. The choice is mine alone, to do with as I wish; for being happy is a state of mind.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    Options
    what is true happiness :shock:
    Making someone else happy.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    edited 20. Feb 2010, 20:03
    Options
    1. oh! :roll: dose that include making them laf :wink:

2. but should your own happiness be measured on how happy you make others ,i dont think so
    1. Yes! n045.gif

2. You can't measure happiness, as you are or are not happy. But if making someone happy makes you happy too, then you have double happiness. And that ain't easy.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    This is a better one, although I can't remember who said it!

The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Joseph Addison, 1672-1719 English essayist
  • joanlawson
    Options
    All this discussion about happiness has made me very happy :!: :D

n015.gif
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465