DLA result - this will make you laugh!

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 21. Feb 2010, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
My DLA is due for renewal in Jan 2011 but my condition has worsened in the past year and my motability car is due to be taken in Sept. You need a year at least left on your DLA entitlement to ask for another car. Its our only form of transport as my husband doesn't have a car and walks to work.
I rang DLA in October last year to ask what do I do and was told to ring in Jan and ask for an extension.
Rang in Jan and was told to do change of circumstances form (which I wanted to do anyway) and was told this would cover it.
So filled out bloody form (depressing as it is) and sent it off, received a response yesterday (which was surprisingly quick) and was told that the original levels of entitlement remain, which is fine really but the massive fly in the ointment is that they've kept the Jan 2011 renewal date!!!!!
So not only is my motability car under threat but I've got to fill out the poxy form again in October!! When I rang and asked why they hadn't extended it I was told by a very stroppy woman (unnecessarily grumpy in my opinion - I wasn't grumpy with her) that they have chosen that date because of the evidence I have given. I've never mentioned a date - ever, and neither have my letters from consultants, GP's or OT's! When I asked what would happen when my car was taken back I was told I should use the money for taxi's - I'm going to have a 6month old by that point which I won't be able to lift and me not having access to a car is not their problem (I live over 10miles from the hospital and couldn't even get to the shop without help).

Luckily I rang motability and spoke to a nice man who said get an extension in August after the car has its MOT. What happens if this information is also incorrect? I'm going to be up a certain creek without a paddle!

Sorry for the enormous post but its a bit of a worry!

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    My niece had a motobility car and used to drive, (she has a neuro condition) but, as she got worse, she had to give up driving, for a while she and her husband kept the car and he drove it to take her out. He also has a car, but they only have parking for one car and he found that he was only using one car, so she gave the car back and instead took the mobility part of her dla, which she can use for taxi's when she needs to or her husbands car.

I'm not sure to the ammount, but I think it is enough to pay for a leased car, if you need it. Maybe it would be worth getting some information about that, so your husband could have a car for you both to use. Just a thought that might help. I think someone on here might do something like that, I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

Hope all goes well,
    Love Sue
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    My DLA is due for renewal in Jan 2011 but my condition has worsened in the past year and was told that the original levels of entitlement remain, which is fine really but the massive fly in the ointment is that they've kept the Jan 2011 renewal date!!!!!

Send a letter, not phone, to the DLA requesting that due to your condition not improving for the foreseeable future, you now wish to be granted DLA indefinitely. This would change your status from temporary, with a time limit, to permanently in receipt of DLA. Don't mention the car, it really is not part of your claim, as all they do is assess and pay DLA claims.

You may have to fill in the forms again, but if you point out that you recently applied for a change of circumstances and give the date, they may accept the answers on that form.

Worth a try, don't forget to keep copies of the forms/letters. Also ask your consultant to let you have a letter stating that your condition is permanent and enclose it with your letter.

Sometimes you just have to keep going at them. Good luck.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif