ENBREL INJECTIONS

Options
jillydog61
jillydog61 Member Posts: 33
edited 24. Feb 2010, 14:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, i had my first enbrel injection last week, and my joints feel so much better. SO SURPRISED after one injection. :o:o

Has anybody had any side effects, my only problem is my ribs feel like i have been kicked by a horse and do not know if it is a side effect or something else?????

I have emailed the rheumy nurse and hopefully she will respond tomorrow

Thanks Gill :)

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    jillydog61 wrote:
    Hello, i had my first enbrel injection last week, and my joints feel so much better. SO SURPRISED after one injection. :o:o

Has anybody had any side effects, my only problem is my ribs feel like i have been kicked by a horse and do not know if it is a side effect or something else?????

I have emailed the rheumy nurse and hopefully she will respond tomorrow

Thanks Gill :)

sorry do not know but so glad you got good responce from it fingers crossed ribs nothing the care section good with questions like this
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gill,

Can't help you but just wanted to say I am so pleased your feeling a lot better. I really hope it will work for you for a long time. Cris x
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Glad your getting a good response to your treatment Gill,all being well i start mine in April (again thanks for nothing N.I.C.E) i had a quick search around and i suggest taking at the link below and see if its any help.
    A few people have complained of increase in pain in back etc so it may be a side effect.
    May i ask Gill did you get any of the burning pain on injection that i read on and if its not too personal what made you choose Enbrel over adalimumab or humira?
    I'm still in the process of making a decision as to which one to go for, at the moment i'm leaning toward adalimumab mainly because of the blocked or runny nose side effect with enbrel as i suffer from reflux and feel continually bunged up already, the increased threat of cancer or tb don't worry me all that much.
    hope your treatment continues to improve and you can get to the bottom of this rib pain.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=103795&name=ENBREL&sort=timelength&order=1[url][/url]
  • jillydog61
    jillydog61 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hello Fester, the reason why i choose Enbrel is a lady that i work with is on the other injection and she feels no different after 3 months. I just felt is was the better drug and i have to say after one injection it is fantastic APART FRON THE PAINFUL TUM

You have to remember that i have only had one injection and it was not that painful and there was no burning.

The nurse told me that the "pen" injection hurts more than the syringe, because it shoots it in and you have more control with the syringe, also if you bottle out of injecting yourself you can pop down to the surgery and the nurse will give you the injection but they will not with the "pen" So i choose the syringe.
    I hope you make the right decision and works as it did for me
    Gill
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi

I am on enbrel, I do get the stinging when injecting and I can't get used to it! I have not suffered any side effects so far, have got a runny nose all the time come to think of it!

Janie
  • chahoua
    chahoua Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I've been on Enbrel for nearly 6 years now and the only major side effect I have is that since starting it I developed IBS and as a result have become sensitive to certain foods (tea, capsicums and bananas!). As was mentioned what method are you using? - prefilled syringe or vial system. I was using the vial and then the prefilled suspension came out. I tried the prefilled one for a couple of months but had problems with it. I found that it hurt and that when I injected there was a resistence. My stomach ached after the injection too. I spoke to my Anti-TNF nurse and he switched me back to the vial method.

It is a great drug - it works really well for me. xxx
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    so am i right in thinking whichever drug i choose i should get a choice of vial or premix suspension? Just asking as i don't recall that being discussed in my first assessment prior to commencing in April all being well.
    Steve
  • chahoua
    chahoua Member Posts: 29
    Options
    The vial suspension is the most comfortable to inject for me. My nurse did say a few people who had tried the vial and changed to prefilled had problems with the latter and thus changed back.

Hope this helps