Just a thought ???????

Options
toptottie
toptottie Member Posts: 12
edited 23. Feb 2010, 10:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Posted this on the living page and someone said to post it here.

I have been laid up for five weeks with a nasty flare up. Whilst trying to while away the hours watching TV I had a thought, Have you ever noticed the adverts on TV for either holidays, attractions or areas to visit focus on able bodied people they never tell you that they are accessable for disabled people. Or include disabled people in the footage of the advert.

Aren't we expected to want to visit these places or attractions ????????????????????????????????????

Excuse me but we have a life and want to join in things and visit places etc.etc.......

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How right you are!! We'd have to check wouldn't we if we have access issues...

The other adverts are for no win no fee thingies or bingo or loans....

Hope you are not too brain dead :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I love that advert with Bill Shannon racing around on his crutches( Visa flow advert advert).He was born with a bilateral hip deformity and he really does use his crutches that way. Imagine being able get about that fast.......(none of us would get DLA though)!Sorry I am not clever enough to put the link up!!!!!!!
    I know what you mean about holiday adverts-slim, tanned, fit, well behaved children with big smiles on their faces,sun,sea and sand.....just like real life?
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Toptottie (love the name by the way)

I totally agree about disabled access issues on these holiday adverts. It's the same with going out to eat anywhere or doing things. Some places say "Child Friendly", which is progress I suppose, but they really should start putting "Wheelchair Friendly" or have some sort of organisation which gives places ratings according to how accessible they are. I wouldn't mind doing a job like that actually :-)

And Elizabeth, on these holiday adverts, where are the men with beer bellies, the mums looking harrassed with frizzy hair and the screaming, messy kids wearing inappropriate clothing for the weather which has turned unseasonably cold when they only have shorts and t-shirts?!

Every year when we went to Alton Towers, my dad would insist on walking round the place with a knotted hanky to protect his balding head from sunburn :-) - sorry, that's not entirely relevant, but I just thought of it and wanted to share!

Nx
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    I suppose you have a good point there, but it strikes me that there's more adverts than actual programmes on tv these days.
    Specially on the sky channels, you have six minutes of programme then 7 minutes of adverts.
    Doesn't anyone else find adverts for Gold, and accidents annoying?
    Then there's the appeals to send so much a month to various chatities.
    I'll give money when I see collectors in town, but I wont subscribe to paying every month, who knows where your money ends up.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I can see the point you're making, Rehab, but what I can't understand is how, in this day and age of catering to different cultures (ensuring prayer facilities are available, vegetarian or vegan food, halal food etc), we cannot extend this hospitality to people with disabilities.

Nx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Rehab i disagree with you that "we are not a pretty site" you speak for yourself, i look healthy am young-ish and aint bad looking (on a good day :lol: ), but i have a disability and there are plenty like me, just cos your disabled dont mean your not attractive :wink:

Ps has Fat Kav been saving his Sun holiday vouchers? :lol::lol::lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    We is
    SPECIAL :D:D
    Toni xx

PS Rehab HAS fat Kev saved his sunhlidays vouchers yet????
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Well i dont mind "special" or "unique" but not ugly :(
    and I'm not suggesting wheel chair skydiving but seeing a kid in a wheel chair playing crazy golf at Butlins wouldn't hurt would it?

well maybe if he missed the shot and hit his Dad in the head with the ball :lol:
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    :? I know i'm going of topic a bit here but are new buildings supposed to be wheelchair accessible :?: a new store has just opened up with steps up to it and no ramp. (its an American clothing store)
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all