Really confused

Options
cutieclaire
cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
I have had a real horri ble flare up for months and my hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, feet and ankles have been so painful and swollen. They diagnosed me with Inflamatory Arthritis and my rhematoid factor was really very high in my bloods. Had a fantastic day with my hands and wrists today and been for my ultra sound this eve and apparently no arthritis!!

How is this to be?? I haven't even been able to move them when they are really bad. Its good news to find that there is no damage but how can there be no arthritis today?????

Apparently he said that it doesn;t mean to say that its not there its just there is nothing today as I have had no pain and had a good day!!

Could anyone explain please as well confused. Makes me feel like its all been a big joke.

Thanks

Claire xx

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Claire

Yes, it is confusing. The nature of arthritis is that it is a fluctuating condition - it has good phases and bad phases. When its bad it can be really bad like the flare you've just had, and when its good it can be like its not there at all.

The fact that nothing showed on your ultrascan is good - it means your arthritis has not damaged your joints but it doesn't mean that it has gone. Its still there but not causing any problems right now.

Know that you will learn to manage the bad phases, get the information you need and look at where you might get help and support from family and friends - and this forum is pretty good too!

Enjoy the good phases - live your life as you usually do. Arthritis may be a part of your life but not all of it, you are the same person you have always been.

Best wishes

Val
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Hi Val,

Thank you so much for your advice and help on this matter. Oh I felt like such a fraud and my hubby was very confused and throught I had been making it up!!.

This is the 2nd day where my hands and wrists are fantastic, its seems to have gone over night. I am off sick at the moment as the flare up with 2 children under 4 and doing an Masters at uni is just 2 much. I have enjoyed relaxing a little but I don't know how reaslistic it would be to go back to work typing for 4 hours constantly. I might try it at home then see it goes.

xxxxxxxxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    Options
    Hi Claire
    Glad you're still feeling good.
    There are lots of computer & mouse adaptations that might make doing a Masters a bit easier. Have a look at the following link
    http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/
    Best wishes
    Val