Enbrel - side effects

chahoua
chahoua Member Posts: 29
edited 27. Feb 2010, 14:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I've been on Enbrel for nearly 6 years now. Shortly after starting it I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and became very sensitive to certain foods (tea, capsicums and bananas). I talked it over with my anti-TNF nurse and Rheumy and they felt it was a side effect of the Enbrel as I hadn't had any problems/sensitivities before treatment began. I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar problems as me. The Enbrel works really well for me so I can put up with the IBS.

Before Enbrel I had previously tried Infliximab and I didn't have any side effects with that (it just didn't help my joints).

Jackie xxx

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jackie

I started enbrel in October last year and the only thing I would say I suffer from is a runny nose. I'm sorry you suffer with more, but I hope you feel that it is a small sacrifice for the benefits you get. It's early days for me still so I suppose some could still develop.

Take care

Janie
  • bellini
    bellini Member Posts: 42
    chahoua wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I've been on Enbrel for nearly 6 years now. Shortly after starting it I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and became very sensitive to certain foods (tea, capsicums and bananas). I talked it over with my anti-TNF nurse and Rheumy and they felt it was a side effect of the Enbrel as I hadn't had any problems/sensitivities before treatment began. I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar problems as me. The Enbrel works really well for me so I can put up with the IBS.

Before Enbrel I had previously tried Infliximab and I didn't have any side effects with that (it just didn't help my joints).

Jackie xxx

Hello Jackie, I am also on enbrel (2+yrs) like you it works for me so far, I don't have the agonising flare-ups. I still take an anti-inflam and the occassional tramadol. I go back to two months after I started with Enbrel and I have experienced much the same as yourself. I wasn't sure what was going on so I asked for an endoscopy and an ovarian scan, I had a bit of bleeding, I also did a bowel screening which came back negative. There is still something going on and I do experience quite a lot of bowel wind (oh dear all sounds a bit of a whinge). Anyway, thank you for your posting, it kinda puts things in a frame. I am going to speak to my GP within the next few weeks re all this, after some blood tests, if I come up with anything new I will let you know. Meanwhile keep well!!

best wishes
    Cassie
  • chahoua
    chahoua Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for the replies. :D

I can put up with it as, Enbrel is working well. Some days the IBS is really bad but I can live with it. Let me know how you get on Cassie. xxx