ANY WALKING/RAMBLING ENTHUSIASTS OUT THERE

Options
bellini
bellini Member Posts: 42
edited 1. Mar 2010, 11:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
:P Hi everyone, I have just read with interest a topic from an art/painting enthusiast where they state that a hobby can take your mind off ones RA. Never better said, I know that when I have many distractions and things to look forward to, I cope with my RA very much better.

I am am never better than when, with my walking buddies, we set out for our six or seven mile ramble. We are all over fifty, but not at all in our dotage - there is great support for one another in many ways and always a hug from someone. I have had a very worrying year, my brother has been very poorly and my son went to Afgahnastan in January - due home in April. The strength I have been given by people who share my hobby has been invaluable. Would love to hear from other ramblers and what their experiences are.

I had a great holiday last October in Tuscany where I found myself challenged by the walking grade, it is some years since I have done such stretching treks. But with the help of some steriods and careful planning I managed three ot of five walks --- whata buzz I got.

Love to you all
Cassie 8)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cassie

I see no one has answered your thread yet so I thought I would, although I am not hooked on rambling and walking at this moment in time due to having had another total knee replacement in 2 years. I hope to eventually get back to enjoying long walks with my husband. I totally agree that distractions takes your mind off yourself. It is very important to have good friends and family that are there for you and that all helps to keep us buoyant too, as does a sense of humour.

I hope you are able to continue the walking and rambling for a long time to come and that the meds you are on keep working well for you!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cassie
    I have just read your post, I can't think of anything better then walking for miles, even on cold days I would get up really early, to take my little dog for a long walk.
    I would just lose myself, in my daydreams.
    Has long has I can remember we where taken on long walks by my father, who had been in the army, so you can imagine,it was a frog march but I loved it.
    We used to walk across the pennine moors in summer and winter, how I long to do it again.
    I have made up my mind (after reading your post) to do it again one day, it is now my goal.
    Thankyou for that
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Cassie

It's good you see you have such a rewarding time and good company on your rambles and walks. Before arther my ex partner and I used to regularly go on long walks in some beautiful countryside. I was so much younger and fitter back then.
    One of the most memorable times for me was visiting Scotland what seems like a lifetime ago. My partner had done National Service with Dick Balharry who was a known conservationist and warden of nature reserves there.
    He took us on several walks/treks/what seemed like mountain climbs to us :shock: near where he lived and worked and was so enthusiastic about every living thing we saw, the red deer, the cheeky pine martins, every tree and stream, his love of nature was contagious. :D:D

On one such walk, we noticed he kept looking behind us as if to make sure no one was following us :? It all became apparent when we realised he had taken us close to where a pair of Golden Eagles had nested. Suddenly he just pointed skyward and there she was soaring majestically above us. Well you can't buy that sort of experience. :D

Sadly my walking boots have long since been donated to my niece, but I do have many happy memories of wearing them and thank you for reminding me of them. I really hope you and your companions have many more walks to look forward to this year.

Take care
    Chris xx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I echo Del's comments. I also used to walk miles in Derbyshire and the Lake District, and would love to be able to do it still. I pushed myself to walk about three miles recently, and it gave me a sense of achievement, but the next day was not much fun.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I walked yesterday.

Well, when I say walked I mean shuffled around
    Marks and Spencer :roll: :lol:

Last night I paid the price, knees and ankles hurting,
    feet on fire, broken sleep because of the pain,

oh the joys of Rheumatoid Arthritis. :(

Well done though to anyone who can,
    I have admiration for you.

Kath
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    kathbee wrote:
    I walked yesterday.

Well, when I say walked I mean shuffled around
    Marks and Spencer :roll: :lol:

Last night I paid the price, knees and ankles hurting,
    feet on fire, broken sleep because of the pain,

oh the joys of Rheumatoid Arthritis. :(

Well done though to anyone who can,
    I have admiration for you.

Kath
    Kath i have r/a and the same thing hppens to me i went shopping on saturday and spent sunday in bed... julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • bellini
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Cassie

I see no one has answered your thread yet so I thought I would, although I am not hooked on rambling and walking at this moment in time due to having had another total knee replacement in 2 years. I hope to eventually get back to enjoying long walks with my husband. I totally agree that distractions takes your mind off yourself. It is very important to have good friends and family that are there for you and that all helps to keep us buoyant too, as does a sense of humour.

I hope you are able to continue the walking and rambling for a long time to come and that the meds you are on keep working well for you!

Thank you Elna, I appreciate the time you took to reply, keep well and safe.

Cassie

Luv
    Elna x
  • bellini
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Cassie
    I have just read your post, I can't think of anything better then walking for miles, even on cold days I would get up really early, to take my little dog for a long walk.
    I would just lose myself, in my daydreams.
    Has long has I can remember we where taken on long walks by my father, who had been in the army, so you can imagine,it was a frog march but I loved it.
    We used to walk across the pennine moors in summer and winter, how I long to do it again.
    I have made up my mind (after reading your post) to do it again one day, it is now my goal.
    Thankyou for that
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara x

Hi Barbara, I am so glad My wee message has given you some inspiration, we all need that in bucketloads - go for it, let me know how you fair!!!

Luv cassie
  • bellini
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I used to ramble and hill walk a lot, there's barely an inch of the Peak District or North Wales I haven't been on. These days a six mile walk on the flat will see me crippled for a day or two after but I still do it now and again as I miss it so much.

Hi dellboy, good on you - keep up the good work, might be a help to you if you join a group as well.

cassie xx