OA a disability or not?

Options
margie1
margie1 Member Posts: 57
Hi

can anyone tell me if having OA is classed as a disability? do i have a disability having OA? think they mean the samething lol I'm not sure

cheers
marg :oops:

Comments

• jimminycricket
    jimminycricket Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    margie1 wrote:
    Hi

can anyone tell me if having OA is classed as a disability? do i have a disability having OA? think they mean the samething lol I'm not sure

cheers

Hi Margie
    I too have just been diagnoised with OA which is progressing very quickly. My hands are very painful and stiff and frequently have trigger fingers which my doctor tells me they no longer operate on.
    Also have been told there is no cure for OA only painkillers.

I could do with some help from anyone who has already gone though the problems please. Merle
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Marge & Merle,

The DDA says a disabled person is someone with ‘a physical or
    mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term
    adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day
    activities’. This would include someone with a significant mobility
    difficulty (such as problems using public transport or going down
    steps) as a result of arthritis. Someone with loss of function in
    one or both hands, difficulty lifting everyday objects or with
    chronic pain would also be covered.
    It doesn't matter which form of arthritis you have just it's impact on your day to day activities.
    hope this helps!
    I'm sure the helpline peeps will give you more info too. Just thought I'd pop in meantime. Iris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    margie1 wrote:
    Hi

cheers

Dear Marg

Thank you for your posting on the forum. Iris has posted a clear and accurate description of the definition of disability under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) and how it is the impact of your condition, not the condition itself that is significant. If you look in our booklet ‘Working with arthritis’ on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets this will give you more information about the DDA and how this effects your rights. I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Marge,

As Dorcas has said disability is about physical or psychological impairments.

I have lupus and RA and DLA is not interested what illness you have but in what difficulties you have when doing daily tasks such as walking, dressing, bathing, cooking etc etc. If you have difficulties with any of these and other then you can claim DLA. If you are thinking of claiming then I strongly advice that you get help with completing the form by someone at the CAB or a benefit welfare officer as they are clued up in this area. Apart from the physical changes you have noticed do ask those close to you to tell you what changes they have noticed in you as it will help you when completing the form.

When they ask you about walking they normally ask for measurements - I couldn't tell you how far I walk so I just put in claim form how I walk and the time I have to stop to get a rest and they accepted that so don't worry too much about yards, meters. Again maybe CAB can advice you more on that.

Also depression is taken into consideration so do include it in your form if you are feeling depressed.

I would also advice that you don't give short answers and do write in detail as they will only come back and ask for more information. Do not do bullet point answers.

If you have copies of letters you have received from you consultant when he/she has written to GP then choose the best ones and send copies with your form as that is evidence and will help to support your claim.

Good Luck and keep us updated, even if you have more questions.

Eve x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Marge, my mother had OA and was disabled - and how! She got full mobility rate and middle rate care DLA. She should have had high care rate in the end but she was too scared to go for it.
    There is a really good webiste by the Disabled Living Foundation and a section called Asksara. This is a self assessment section designed to help you plan what you need help with. It will soon tell you if you are disabled or not!
  • margie1
    margie1 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you for your replies i do appreciate them
    i will definately check out the website
    I have a meeting with the nurse from occ health on tuesday as i cant start back until i have seen her works policy.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend :)

lv marg