Recurrent infections

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hi, I was wondering if someone could shed some light please. I keep getting infections. A few weeks ago I had a chest infection (I hadn't had one for years and years) and now I have a throat infection. I work with children but I have done for 3 years and have not had this many infections as I have recently and other people don't get ill as often as me. Could it be related to my arthritis? If it's an overactive immune system, I wonder why I would be getting more infections. I'm not on any major immune system suppressant, I'm on hydroxychloroquine.

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Maybe you are just run down?
  • Starburst
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    Maybe you are just run down?

I probably am but doesn't RA mean you have an overactive immune system, how can I be run down? :oops: Maybe I'm being stupid. :?
  • salamander
    Options
    My GP told me I was run down a few weeks ago, I'm on immunosupressant drugs now but I always got infections all the time before - was known for it! I don't know exactly how it works but if you are getting infections all the time something is going on. some people say they get less infections on immuno suppressants. It's a riddle to me.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

Right there with you Flower!

Thanks for posting this I shall see what the help line folk say cus I have had a cold thats been reinfecting now for 10 months.... its branched out its dong it every 5 days now..... I also have a problem with infection but have never had a cold for so long....... I blame the sulfa :wink::lol: Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    edited 4. Mar 2010, 10:43
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could shed some light please. I keep getting infections. A few weeks ago I had a chest infection (I hadn't had one for years and years) and now I have a throat infection. I work with children but I have done for 3 years and have not had this many infections as I have recently and other people don't get ill as often as me. Could it be related to my arthritis? If it's an overactive immune system, I wonder why I would be getting more infections. I'm not on any major immune system suppressant, I'm on hydroxychloroquine.

Many thanks. :)

Hello Princess01

The reason you are getting more infections is that a) you work with children and there is usually something being passed around the group as I'm sure you are well aware of, b) your immune system is out of whack and unable to function properly hence the RA, and because you are also dealing with the RA and life and work etc you probably are quite run down and stressed/worried perhaps so that will affect your immune system even more and make it go crazy causing problems. With each cold you get the immune system goes even more into over drive thus killing all the good parts that usually protect you along with the bad bits, so leaving you more prone to catching things.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get as much rest as you possibly can during your cold and really give yourself a chance to recover properly to enable yourself to fight off the next bug that comes along. (that applys to others out there too who can't shake off their colds - Skezier!! ;) ) We know its hard to take time out from life and give yourself the TLC you really need but sometimes its the only way.

An over active immune system means that it is out of control and attacking the bad bugs as well as all the good bugs that usually protect you. Over active does not mean it is working harder to protect you.

I hope that clarifies things a little. If you need any more info you know where we are - yep just a freephone call away. For more information on 'Living with RA please see booklet of same name: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

Best wishes n please take it easy!

Simona

PS Please also see your private messages
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Simona,

Your b) was quite interesting :wink: Can I still blame the sulfa a little bit though? :lol:

You take care,

Cris

Hey Sophie,

My Rumo tells me to stay at the same temperature for 5-7 days and stop being in and out cus he thinks that doesn't help either (he has mentioned going to bed for a week as well :roll: ) I think if you can get some rest cus I really can't just now and this is really dragging me down. Soon be spring and maybe we will have a bit of heat this summer? :D Take care of you for a min ((( ))) Cris x
  • helpline_team
    Options
    Cris lovely lady you can blame it on anything you like, but from your rheumos comments re going to bed for a week I think he would agree with me ;). I hope the animals are taking it easy on you.
    best wishes
    Simona
    PS Got a cuppa tea ere, missing the shortbread :lol:
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Simona,

:lol::lol::lol::lol: and 2 packets of shortbread :wink: Cris who thinks he might but knows the pain clinic doctor would totally agree with you :lol::lol:
  • salamander
    Options
    That's interesting Simona. I've always had an over active immune system i.e. got ill a lot. I wonder if that's why I've now got inflammatory arthritis.......? Agree with you completely about the rest.
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. :)

My GP's answer was to give up my job and work in an office instead! :roll: I love my job and I'd go stir crazy in an office! I guess this is just a hazaard of working with 2 year olds. I was wondering if perhaps I should be taking some vitamins.
  • helpline_team
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. :)

My GP's answer was to give up my job and work in an office instead! :roll: I love my job and I'd go stir crazy in an office! I guess this is just a hazaard of working with 2 year olds. I was wondering if perhaps I should be taking some vitamins.

Hello

Whatever you decide to, do please consult your Rheumatologist or nurse first as you do not want to take vitamins if they boost your immune system.

Have you tried Omega 3 fishoils? This has anti-inflammatory properties or you may want to incorporate oily fish into your diet. This may at least help dampen the inflammation in the system.

best wishes

Simona
  • Starburst
    Options
    ^^ Thank you, will ask my GP at my next appt. They think I'm anaemic anyway, I'm waiting for blood test results.