any advise please

Options
marooned
marooned Member Posts: 68
edited 5. Mar 2010, 06:38 in My child has arthritis
my daughter is 23 and has been suffering with severe joint pain, we have been to the doctors numerous times and now seem to be eventually getting somewere, the pain is in her shoulders, knees which are swollen and her fingers which are swollen and starting to bend slightly, she is at the hospital on the 15th and just wondered if we should be asking anything in particular, blood tests came back showing inflamation, my daughter is not overweight she is about a size 10 she is a keen horsewoman, but is not at the moment because of the pain .

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry to read that you daughter has been troubled with severe joint pain and I just wanted to wish her all the very best at the forthcoming appointment. It is a good idea if possible to be accompanied as the other person remembers things you may not and also may think to ask questions that you had not thought about.

Some questions that could be asked are:

What is my diagnosis and how can I learn more about it?

Will only my joints be affected or are there other areas of my body that can be involved? Can my eyes, heart, lungs, brain, or kidneys be affected? If so, how?

What is the likely course of this form of arthritis? What is the long-term outlook?

What are my treatment options? What are the risks of not treating at all?

If my symptoms worsen, what should I do on my own? When should I contact you?

How and when should I exercise?

What are the local support groups or foundations that are available to me?

I have certain special concerns (for example; fertility, pregnancy, offspring, alternative medicines, surgery, special diets, relatives with tragic outcomes with similar diseases or medications, etc.). How do these particular issues relate to my situation and how do you feel about them?

While I take the medications that you currently recommend, how should we monitor for possible side effects (for example; examination, blood pressure check, lab testing)?

Your daughter is the most important person in this process by accurately describing to the doctor the character, location, duration, and time of onset of her symptoms. Mention everything, no matter how small and how insignificant you may feel it is. Best to write it all down - it makes it so much easier.

All the best,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.