DLA Medical

Options
dean76
dean76 Member Posts: 112
edited 8. May 2010, 11:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got a letter to today to say that Medical Services are sending a doctor to my home regarding my DLA Mobility claim. What can I expect, is there anything I should do.

As people on here will know I applied and was knocked back because my Consultant never completed the form properly they reconsidered it and said No. I went the CAB and the CAB put I could walk 3-4 metres in less than a minute which she classed as virtually unable to walk. I explained that she wrote this after I'd signed the form along with medical letters off my new Consultant about the amount of falls I have and asked them to reconsider the decision ....now a doctor is coming to visit me. I know its not great news but its a start. Better than a NO and immediate appeal.

So what can I expect?, how do they sometimes trick you?, what will they ask you to do etc...
Any advice much appreciated.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dean76 wrote:

Hi Dean
    I had the doctor attend my home and he basically went through a list of questions like "can you wash and dry yourself" "can you cook yourself a meal" "when you get up in the morning whats the first thing you do" "how far can you walk" the last question meaning how far, not how far without pain. They ask to see your medication and take note of everything how much and how many per day. He may ask to examine you the doc who came to see me did. Then told me my spine was curving to the right and my right leg was shorter than the left. Although he put on his report that my left leg was shorter than the right. He also recorded the medication inaccurately. They will also ask for some ID either your passport or driving licence if you have one. Just to prove you are the person they have come to see. You can request a copy of the doctors report from DLA and they will send this to you 10 days after they receive it. Be aware that there is a couple of pages of the report that they dont let you have. This is the pages with the doctors secret notes on it. Once DLA have the report they will send you a letter stating that it can take 11 weeks for the decision to be made and (in my case the 11 week letter arrived on the Tuesday and the refusal letter arrived on the Thursday) I told the truth about everything and when I got the report many of the answers are not what I had told him. But they tell you that you cannot appeal the Docs opinion I wanted to appeal the facts and am currently waiting on a date for my appeal. I have been told this will not be before the 14th April 2010 , my original claim was in May 2009. Its a good idea to have someone with you at home when they come to visit I had my daughter but she sat in the Kitchen so she cannot confirm the things I told him. Dont worry about it as long as you are giving him the correct information you can only rely on them taking it honestly and hopefulluy doing the right thing.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Dean
    I had a visit from the DLA Doctor, back in 2008, after getting myseld into a total state over it, he was ok. Asked questions, looked at medical reports and consultants reports and said "oh, you have been ill a long time haven't you". Err, yes, 15 years. He did my blood pressure, watched me walk across the room, asked me to try and bend into diferent positions, which was a no go anyway.
    My partner / carer was there all the time, although he was not asked specific questions.
    All in all it was not as bad as I anticipated, but I was too pooped to speak after it. I don't think they appreciate how stressful it is to have a stranger come in and question and examine you, after all, they don't know you from Adam, not like your own GP or Consultant and their word seems to be law when it comes to the deicision making. I know my Consultant was fuming, as if to say how dare they question my diagnosis.
    There was nothing that I can think of that he tried to catch me out on.
    I hope it goes well for you, just be honest and give them the facts. I had everything laid out on the table, here, read this lot!
    Let us know how things go.
    Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Dean and good luck,

They may get you do some tricks, bending down, touch floor,stand on one leg. If you cant do these things then tell them,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    I have no experience of dla to answer to your question, but I wish you very good luck! :)

Love Sue
  • dean76
    Options
    Hi there

Thanks for all your advice, they are coming 8am on Tuesday to see me so am really reassured now of what they might ask me to do and see. Im going to make sure I have photocopies of my reports etc... to save me having to move to get them when they come.

It has really reassured me no end and Im so glad for all your advice about what to expect. I just hope they dont make me wait another 13 weeks for the decision maker to make a decision.

Ive also recently changed the bung on the bottom of my new walking stick the hospital gave me at the end of January because it was really slippy and plasticky that it didnt grip the ground properly. Someone told me sometimes they look to see if your bung is worn out to indicate how much walking you actually do. Stupid I know.

Any other time Im covered in bruises up and down my shins from falling but sods law at the moment Im thankfully bruise free but hope this doesnt go against me. You know how petty they can be?

Dean xxxx
  • bubbles
    Options
    Just wanted to say hope all goes well tomorrow Dean. Let us know. I am sure things will be fine. Don't let them rush you.

xx Bubbles
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Best of luck, I hope it all goes well for you.
    rita
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Good luck Dean,

hope all goes smoothly today. Irisx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Dean

Hoping all has gone well for you?

Was he nice? Did you have to do any 'ticks'? :wink: and did he look at your walking stick ferrel?? I hadnt thought of that you know, but you could have had a worn one for YEARS for all they'd know :x

Well we will hear form you when you are able I expect and when you have recovered too :)

Love

Toni xx
  • dean76
    Options
    He came at 8am this morning and he was gorgeous. Young, very, very handsome, really young. Ever so polite a real true gent and when he lent over me to test my reflexes a wiff of his aftershave. Mmmmmmmm! Mum and i sat and drooled he was lush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He even took his shoes off without asking so real brownie points from mum.

He explained he hadnt been given access to my application form so was unbias. Asked what hobbies I had, tried to prompt me but I dont have any. Told him I only go on internet (which I do) and look at news but favour depressing news for some reason (which I do). He said that would be because of my mental state. Asked to look at my medications. Asked me to walk to the lounge door (which is less than 5m away) and come back. As soon as I stood up I wobbled side to side I cant get out of a chair or out of bed without wobbling anymore.

He then asked me if I could bend over and I told him but couldnt touch my knees let alone as much as he could. He said I should have an arthroscopy in my left knee and hadnt my GP ever mentioned it. He felt my knee as I moved it up and down and said yes that wasnt right and should get it checked out. He said he would write that I have problems with my left knee, both feet and nerve damage in left wrist to elbow due to nerve damage so no use nor feeling.

Asked to see my scars, didnt ask for ID or verify who I was. Asked for a copy of the doctors report from last clininc I went to. I told him the DLA already have a copy but he said he would send it with his report to support his report.

Asked me if I was working I told him I wasnt and why Id left. Went into great detail and he wrote all what I was saying and the difficulties I had in walking, etc,...

Asked what my needs were in night. I dont have any. During day I need someone with me when out shopping, to open doors and to guide me because I get confused because of meds. He was really nice and suggested what I should say but I didnt need that prompting.

He asked when I last went to the shops and GP how long it took me to walk it and what that distant is.

He then asked mt tell him If I used public transport when I said No. He asked why and wrote it down.

He didnt ask me to sign anything and didnt tell me what he had put. He just said he would write what I wanted him to put. Didnt write anyhting other than when i spoke. When I stopped he stopped writing.

Only time will tell now I guess!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dean76
    Options
    Thanks I was soooooo nervous but he really put me at ease and was a really nice man. Not at all like a DWP doctor.
  • dean76
    Options
    Hi there, thanks for your support and good advice. I hadnt been able to get online any sooner than the last post. He didnt look at my walking stick he asked when I got it and where I got it from though.

Was really nice.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, glad you got on ok, sounds quite promising, wish I had got a young dishy doctor, my doctor was quite elderly, but very good and thorough, hope you get on ok love Jaspercatxx
  • bubbles
    Options
    Hi Dean
    So glad it went ok for you, I was thinking of you. A lush Dr to boot, well done you :wink:

I hope he supports your claim to the fullest and you get the best possible award.

xx Bubbles
  • tkachev
    Options
    i am glad the Doc took note of your condition and it does sound encouraging.However you never know what they are writing ! I know you are deserving of the award but you have had mistakes to deal with on your forms before. So lets hope this time is successful.
    I am looking forward to the good news that you have a DLA award.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Dean,

doesn't that doc sound fabulous!! I hope his report is as good to look at as he was. :wink:

seriously though...I really hope it all works in your favour now..you deserve it and it would make a big difference to have the means to be able to get about. please let us know as soon as you hear anything?!

ps...did you get his telephone number?

Irisx
  • dean76
    Options
    Thanks I cant wait for a letter to tell me either way. As people have said it all depends on the Decision Maker. The fact they will have to back pay me since the last week in October if I am entitled wont make them best pleased!

If Im sucessful then Im going to get the dormer roof in mums bedroom fixed which is leaking when it rains and relying on buckets at the moment to catch the water. So hopefully it'll be good news sometime soon. Else she'll be getting a new pair of wellies for mothers day. heee heee heee!
  • dean76
    Options
    Got a letter from the DLA to say Im not entitled to any rate of DLA because I can walk approx 600 metres and in a normal way nor do I have anxiety.

Fact I have depression, medication doesnt work in improving my mental state, makes me lose tons and tons of weight and affects my reactions and reflects to situations, Doctor saw me wobbling as I got out of the chair and as I tried to walk. At a very, very slow pace, pigeon toed and in great pain. When Ive got over this cold Im going to definetly appeal.

Mum was so shocked. She agrees I didnt say anything to suggest this, I even told them I dont go out because I cant walk. Nor did I sign anything or be told what had been written. Do you normally have to sign something when a Doctor from the DLA comes to assess you?

Thanks for all your advice though. Im not going to give up.
  • tkachev
    Options
    crumbs! Do appeal.I got turnd down for DLA cos I could touch the floor without discomfort on that day but my consultant wrote a letter stating that I had severe deteriation in the hip joints(since replaced). I then got a revised higher mobiity award.
    I think I signed something but still got turned down and thn reinstated.
    all the best
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbles
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the DLA turned you down Dean, make sure you ask for a full review, send any Drs letters along with your letter. They usually give a list of reasons, which you can challenge and give supporting evidence to help your case. Tell them everything that you need care and assistance with, including the amount of time this takes, or any risks that would be involved, if you were on your own.

You are not alone, lots of people, including myself, were turned down on first application, for one award or another, but you need to tell them where you think their decision is wrong. Make sure you write or phone them within a month of the letter.

Keep us posted and good luck with the appeal.

xx Bubbles
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Hi,

Make sure you ask for a copy of the doctors report when you appeal. I am sure it will make intresting reading, mines did. These 'doctors' (not sure if they are) do tend to lull you into a false sense of security.

I submitted my claim over 6 months ago and I am now waiting far a tribunal date.

Anne
  • shockingpink
    shockingpink Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Definitely ask for a look at the doctor's report, go through it with a fine tooth comb and make a note of all errors and inconsistencies. Mine had all sorts about undressing without help; no problem going from lying to sitting; loads of things he hadn't asked me to do were put down as fact. It also said I needed no help using the toilet and later on said a raised toilet seat would be useful.

I appealed and got low rate care and high rate mobility for 5 years. Renewed for another 3, and then last time I renewed it was made indefinite. Good luck! :)
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been let down. I hope you can appeal. I'm really disappointed for you. Hopefully others will be able to advise you what to do now. Hang in there.
    rita
  • dean76
    Options
    Thanks this is my 3rd application and was a reconsideration from the Decision Maker. Each time I get nearer and nearer though and strangely enough every decision completely contradicts the previous decision. Despite sending the same form in three times.

I am going to appeal when Im up and about got terrible cold at the moment so havent even rang the DLA to request a copy of the Doctors report. But I will do. Many thanks for the advice it is much appreciated!

Christina x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Bobbing this up for only :D

Toni xx