Internet shopping

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 11. Mar 2010, 07:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Lynn sign of the times I guess, the problem is the more crime that is accepted the worse it gets, liberal minded folk always shout that crime isn't any worse than it was many years ago, I disagree when I was a nipper in the 1970's we had a lot less crime and that's not just rose tinted specks either.
Anyway using a card online, so far we have been OK all apart from a caravan company that ripped me off by not sending out my order, they wouldn't return my e mails and didn't ever answer the phone. I Googled their name and it popped up on a few caravan forums with the same problem.
In the end I complained to their web bank people and they shut of their ability to use cards as they never replied to the banks e mails, it finished them off so I got a result that time. :mrgreen:

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lynn i used to do all my banking online untill someone hacked into my account, I was very lucky my bank dealt with it very quickly and no money was taken from my account. It has put me off internet banking though.
    Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Lynn boy did I have a good time sending them e mails telling them I had informed their internet bank about their scam, then when they asked for cash or cheques only for all orders I hit em with a load more!, boy it felt great to stick the knife in he he!!! :mrgreen:
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi we had that happen about 2 or so times one time i purchased something online and although i received what i had ordered OK someone still hacked in and used my card and another time i had been away on holiday and went to pay for my petrol using my card at the pump the day before and then the following day i had to go back for some more petrol and yes my card would not work, how embarrassing as i have never owed anything in my life, i felt really awful i can tell anyway tried my hubby's card his would not work so just as well i had a credit card with me i only use if i really have too, and that went through OK anyway i had to find a branch of my bank and go and get it sorted and for the rest of our holiday we had to carry cash round with us and hubby was not happy about that, anyway some horrible hacker had tried to top-up there mobile via our account, :(:( i think it happened the day before when i was at a well known supermarket forecourt paying for petrol and i think that when it happened, its made me very careful of everything i do with my card now even in shops i always cover up so no one can see my pin and always look around to check there is a camera at the pump i go to and i don't really like these machines they have in shops so that you can pay by card its been on the news about people hacking into them as well, nothing safe now and you have to be so vigilant.

Sylvia

PS alliance Leicester have some software that you can install on you computer for free that they recommend it works with Firefox and chrome and internet explorer i think.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Folks

Just had a bit of a scare - the first time it's happened.

I do lots of shopping online. I always make sure it's a secure site, I have all the internet security/anti virus stuff etc. Occasionally my bank will put a stop on the card, because the fraud department have flagged up an "odd" payment. It's a nuisance at times, getting it sorted, but I'm always grateful that they are so "hot" on picking things up.

Tried using my card today, and there was a problem, so rang my bank, and there have been 2 fraudulent attempts to use my card!!!! One for a small amount, and one for a large amount!!!! Apparently, these horrible hackers are getting cleverer all the time, and there's not much more I can do (other than not shop online, which is a terrible thought)!!!! :roll: :roll:

I'm relieved my bank are being so thorough, and now have a direct telephone number for their fraud department, which will make it quicker to sort out if it happens again (and it's a freephone number)!!!!

I know Bertyboy posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about a credit card scam, so, although I don't mean to scare people, it's just a reminder to those online shoppers out there to be careful, and make sure you are as secure as possible.

And to all you disgusting excuses for human beings (aka hackers) out there in cyber world **XX**!!!^^&***XXX** - that's what I think of you :mrgreen::mrgreen: :!: :!:

Stay safe,
    love from Lynn xxx

hi Lynne, the same thing happened to me. I now keep a dedicated card for internet use only and have quite a low limit on it. There was a transaction for £700 on my account plus quite a few smaller ones. Won't use a debit card again.
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    Last year I had a shock when I got my Visa bill, I'd only bought a dvd for £6.99 and the bill was was £9000.
    Someone had got my account number and even bought a car for £7000 and several other things.
    I argued with Visa because I had a limit of £3000 on my visa account, I wanted to know why they'd allowed such a big transaction.
    I thought it had to be either someone AT Visa or someone at Amazon who had cloned my card.
    Anyway, it took 6 months but eventually they caught whoever it was and my account was back to normal with a new card.
    I'm told by Visa that you should change your password ever 3 months or so. Even just changing one number or letter each time is enough to be safe.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It is a worry.I had transactions on my card when chip and pin went live.I got the money back but at the time it was all the news how safe chip and pin was going to be.
    I have just started using internet shopping and use safe sites but not entirely sure how safe is safe!!!!!And yes paperless deals are cheaper and encouraged.It puts me off buying stuff on the internet.
    Lynn i recntly lost £400 cash cos I forgot where i had put it!Found it later but was in a panic!Had £100 in my back pocket that nearly got washed yesterday!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    INTERNET SHOPPING - love it cos I get Pedestrian Rage.

The advert made me laugh cos that what Im like :lol::lol:

Eve <<<angel really
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    we have several cards but only use two on the net ... one has a very low credit limit (but I'm not sure if that would stop anything, but that bank always says that any amount would be covered anyway :? )

and the other one we use on the net because we know they are red hot on spotting dodgy dealings cos we had a scare a while ago.

I got a call from them during the day and they enquired (after all the security checks) whether I was into internet gambling :shock: :shock: and when I had recovered from the choking fit :lol::lol: I assured them that I had not spent 3 lots of $100 on a gambling site. Had to ring hubby at work on my mobile to check that he had his card (we both had our cards safe) and that he had not done the spending (he choked too :lol: ) and then I got worried because it was on the card that we use on the internet.

The bank assured us that they did not suspect that our cards had been intercepted or swiped, but that we had been the victims of an opportunist who had used a random number generator :shock: :shock: and had managed to get lucky with our account. We did get all the money credited back to us after we had filled all the forms in. Scary though.

THis particular bank regularly ring us up if we make transatlantic purchases (we have family in the US) to check that we have made the purchases and I would always rather this happened than us get caught again. THey also monitor web sites and they check up on some sites more than others if they have had problems with them before.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Just wantet to let you know i have had 2 emails claiming to be paypal saying that someone has been tring to get into my account but kept getting my password wrong and wanting me to change it to make it more sercure. My brother says its a con once i give them my password they will get into my account.
    Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    snowball wrote:
    Just wantet to let you know i have had 2 emails claiming to be paypal saying that someone has been tring to get into my account but kept getting my password wrong and wanting me to change it to make it more sercure. My brother says its a con once i give them my password they will get into my account.
    Julie

hi julie i had that i reported it to paypal and also sent it to my spam folder, havent had one since, i also had one from BT but that was a fake also one from making out it was from my bank if you have any doubts about any email dont open it and dont give out any info without checking it out first just becareful
    sylvia :)stern02.gif