what do I do next?

Options
englishrose
englishrose Member Posts: 99
I have RA. Last Nov I started on Leflunomide - this sent my blood pressure to alarming levels. Was told to stop leflunomide in mid Jan and get bp sorted. Afer several different bp meds. my GP wrote to Rheumy Consultant and said he thought bp would still be a problem if I restarted Leflunomide and suggested they try something else. When I started Leflunomide they reduced MTX to 10mg and this is slowly being increased - I go from 12.5 this week to 15 next.
We are now well into March and thus far my GP has had no response from Consultant - I have phoned rheumy nurse twice to be told the Consultant is dealing with it. Trouble is I am now suffering very badly with wrists, hands, ankles and feet and truly fed up. I have an appointment with Consultant in April (was the 6th but now changed to the 25th. ) What can I do to get someone to help me now. I have made appt. to see GP, but not till Friday. Do you think they will wait till late April. How can I impress on them that I need help now,
Thank you for your help. I am sure everyone will agree you are a great lifeline to us all.

Jane

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jane
    I'm sorry to hear you are stuck in this situation.
    Keep on at them !
    Ring the rheumy nurse again, describe how bad you are feeling in spite of the increased Methotrexate. Ask when you can speak to the consultant. He is supposed to be dealing with this, what is he doing? Ask if you can have an earlier appointment if anyone cancels.
    Tell your GP how bad things are and ask him to ring the consultant again for you.
    Sometimes we just need to badger people. Practice what you're going to say so you feel confident that you are expressing yourself well, keep your cool but be persistent, this is your health we're talking about and that's important. It's not easy dealing with authority but take a deep breath and go for it. We're with you!
    Best wishes
    Val