Anyone got a LCD tv?

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 10. Mar 2010, 19:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just had a 40 inch LCD tv installed. The bloke from Comet said under no circumstances must I use polish on the screen or anything wet.

How do you clean the screen of your tv? I like to have a few ciggies in the evening watching tv, with our old one I used to wipe it over with a damp cloth once a week. I'm afraid to use anything now.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    rondetto wrote:
    I've just had a 40 inch LCD tv installed. The bloke from Comet said under no circumstances must I use polish on the screen or anything wet.

How do you clean the screen of your tv? I like to have a few ciggies in the evening watching tv, with our old one I used to wipe it over with a damp cloth once a week. I'm afraid to use anything now.

Ooops Ron :shock:
    I think I have been wiping mine over :shock:
    Toni xx
    who is now very worried :oops:
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Rondetto I have a LCD tv you can buy sprays for them mines called philex i use for my laptop screen as well, got mine from Argos
    you should be able to get from most electrical stores.
    Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Use a lint free cloth or really nice soft duster if you are going to and no strong chemicals, and remember detergent is an alkali and if to strong can damge things so use a very small amount just to take the suface tension off the water, it will dry faster and leave no ring marks.
    As for me I have had an LCD TV for 3 years and haven't needed to clean the screen yet other than a quick dusting over wth a clean yellow duster. The thing is LCD's don't generate to much static so unlike old tube TV's the don't collect so much dust well only around the air vents in the casing where all the gubins live.
  • rondetto
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I certainly will try that from Argos as long as it wont harm the screen.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    LCD screens absorb any water put onto them, so any normal water/alcohol based cleaners should not be used.

There is a kit at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SVC2543W-10-Plasma-Cleaner/dp/B0027WXEMA/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_a for just this job.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 9. Mar 2010, 14:54
    Options
    That's the gel spray isn't it?, we have a spray here at work and it say's it contains demin water so now I'm a bit confused, I would imagine that you never put anything directly on the screen but on the cloth and don't use to much as if as livingledgend say's it's porus then you could damage it, I must admit I use very little fluid just enough to pick up any debre on me works screen, seems to work OK as it's still working and if you saw the amount of dust and grit in the air and on all the surfaces here you would be shocked.
    Maybe that's what you get for buring 19 thousands tonnes of cheap Russina rocks, sorry coal each day to make electricity.
    Oh the wonders of modern power generation!!?. :shock:
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    rondetto wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I certainly will try that from Argos as long as it wont harm the screen.
    Its not done mine any harm and it does say you can use it on LCD screens, I don't use it all the time most of the time just use a duster. If in doubt go to the store where you got your tv from and ask them for advice.
    Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    rondetto wrote:

Hi Rondetoo, I bought some soft cloths which I use and you don't put any type of polish - nothing at all and cleans it brilliantly. It can also be used on pc screens or laptops.

Only thing is I bought it from a guy who turned up at my door selling things - said he was an ex-prisoner and turning his life around. lol but im sure you can get them elsewhere.
  • rondetto
    Options
    Blimey, I'd be a bit worried about buying from someone like that.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Oh dear, i use damp cloth on LCD tv and laptop do it once a week, they both still work had them for years.
    good job the OH has never seen me do it, he works with sceens and tv's and would of gone mad, glad you lot told me :oops: :lol:
    best i get down to argos :lol:
  • rondetto
    Options
    I've always done that too, it was only when the engineer from Comet said that it would harm the set and nullify the warranty that made me wonder.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    i guess using baby wipes is no good either :oops:
    well they still work, at the moment that is :lol:
    if it messes with warranty prob best to use the right stuff
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I am off to get the right product, seeing as I cannot be parted from a damp cloth - oops
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).