Bio Bank

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 11. Mar 2010, 03:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I have received a letter today asking if I would help in studying the prevention and treatment of cancer, heart attacks strokes diabetis and many other serious illnesses.

They ask you to go to a centre and give blood samples, urine saliva and more.

Has anyone else had one of these letters?

Trish

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi

I have received a letter today asking if I would help in studying the prevention and treatment of cancer, heart attacks strokes diabetis and many other serious illnesses.

They ask you to go to a centre and give blood samples, urine saliva and more.

Has anyone else had one of these letters?

Trish
    I had one last year but i couldn't go as i was unwell. My mum did it though
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    no sounds strange would ask your gp about it and why you ????
    val
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    They take blood urine and information and store for 50 years i think then test it.
    its to help in the future
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • trisher
    Options
    Store it for 50 years

EEEWWW must stink. What ever would they get from that?
  • trisher
    Options
    snowball wrote:
    They take blood urine and information and store for 50 years i think then test it.
    its to help in the future

Julie

It says that you receive key results from your examination. Did they tell your mum anything?
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Trish

Sorry only just logged on.
    I had a bio bank letter last year which was for general medical research into health issues and lifestyle. They are purely voluntary and sent randomly I believe you only have to fit the age group they want. They do not contact your GP.
    I looked at it carefully and did decide to go. Yes they did take blood pressure, check weight height BMI, bone density, grip tests and they let you know of any problems there, but the visit is NOT intended as a health check for you but simply as data for their research into lifestyle choices, genetics, etc which may affect future generations.

The urine and blood samples are used for research and not as a check on your health. You can opt out of any part you are not happy with. Quite a long time is spent at a computer answering questions about your own health, diet and lifestyle, work etc. They are looking at any possible links from the thousands of people they see which may help people in the future.
    It only took an afternoon of my time, travel expenses were paid and personally I was happy to do it.

Not sure if you have received the same sort of letter I had, I know most of the people who received them locally did ignore them and I think perhaps you have enough on your plate love.

If anyone want more info do pm me.

Chris
  • trisher
    Options
    Now how can I help them? Unless all the problems I have may help people in the future. I don't mind doing it.

I cannot see how I can be much help. I'm falling to pieces as it is :shock:

If I could be any use, I will ring them and see. There is not a part of me that works properly.

Thanks Cris xxxx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Trish

Please, please don't you or anyone else feel obliged to do it. We do not always have the time, energy or want to answer those people with clipboards who catch us in the street with some survey or other. :roll: This is a similar sort of thing in a way. They will get lots of useful input from other people which will have the same outcome.
    The letters are sent randomly, they do not expect everyone to attend so don't feel bad about saying NO or simply ignoring the letter.
    I simply had the time and was relatively healthy and mobile at the time I was asked so did decide to go. I mentioned it only so that if anyone needed more info, I might be able to help. Hope this makes sense Trish, don't be worrying about it.

Chris xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Now how can I help them? Unless all the problems I have may help people in the future. I don't mind doing it.

I cannot see how I can be much help. I'm falling to pieces as it is :shock:

If I could be any use, I will ring them and see. There is not a part of me that works properly.

Thanks Cris xxxx

your brain is good my pal much better than mine and perhaps you could answer questions over the phone as sure the trip would be to much at the min you need to rest your doc said that
    val