Any Asthmatics here?

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 17. Mar 2010, 08:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, I've just come from my GP's. I had a Spirometer test last week and went for the results.
No question, I am an asthmatic, and will have 2 different inhalers from now on.
As If my Ankylosing Spondylitis and RA isn't enough, as well as Angina, I feel like I'm an utter wreck now.
I am determined to keep smiling whatever, so there. :D

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ron

This is what I would like to do for your AS, RA angina and now asthma
    a037.gif

Glad to see you are hanging onto that sense of humour inspite of it all. If you need a giggle, there is a really lovely chap on here who posts on the Have a laugh thread and makes us all smile :wink:

Hang in there, and take care
    Chris xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hey Rondetto!
    we still love you no matter what you've got or what bits fall off or need replaced. :D:wink:

keep on keeping on....it's all any of us can do eh?

now where did that chap go who always makes us laugh :?: :mrgreen: I'm sure he was here a minute ago. :wink::wink:

Irisx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ron
    I have always thought you where female, with such a good sense of humour.....sorry you are feeling down I will send you some gentle hugs(((((())))) and hope things improve very soon...please carry on making us laugh :)
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Ron

:(:( knickers :(

I am sorry :(

Upside is - you will be feeling a hell of a lot better on those inhalers.

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Ron

I am sorry to hear that! At least life should be easier on the inhalers.

:oops: :oops: in a whisper, perhaps if you stamped on the ciggies ........ :oops: :oops:

Have you a holiday planned for soon? I remember you liked your hols :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Ron, Yes I am asthmatic and use inhalers. If you use the 'preventer' properly (i.e. prescribed the right amount!) you shouldn't need the other one so much. I only really have problems when I get a cold or chest infection then it gets really bad. But not a problem generally. I hope you get on with inhalers ok.
    Sally
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Sorry you have something else to add to your list - bit of a bummer. But as Toni and Elna have said, you'll feel much better if you keep taking your inhalers as prescribed.

I have mild asthma and always take my preventative twice a day, and carry my reliever "just in case".

I'm lucky cos asthma has never been the cause of me ending up in hospital but I know some suffer far worse than me.
    And I can still exercise without being out of puff.

Look after yourself.

Pheebs x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Me, too......I use a preventer and a steroid inhaler daily and carry an emergency inhaler at all times.........doesn't life get interesting now and then?

Annie
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Ron

Sorry to hear the tests prove that you are asthmatic. I have always been prone to Bronchial Asthmatic attacks and my asthma is sometimes triggered by cigarette smoke or flowers/grass.

I have gone onto a dairy free diet and have soya or rice milk instead of ordinary milk. Ordinary milk can create mucus in the tubes and make breathing difficult. I do still get a tightness in my chest but my breathing is so much better. It is worth studying and see if it might help you. If you ask your doctor and see what he thinks or ask someone in the asthma clinic. They would know best.

Joy
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Yes I am Asthmatic and have had really bad asthma attacks and ended in A&E breathing into a brown bag.

My attacks are strange, every pore in my skin seems to close and I can't get any air no matter how hard I try to breathe. I can't even speak when having an attack and to other people I look as though Im choking and changing colour.

I use sulbutamol inhaler as the steroid inhaler seemed to be choking me lol. Only problem, I normally forget to carry it.

Eve
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    alright ron?

I found when I had asthma that if I regularly took the brown inhaler, then I didn't need to use the blue one that much... like other people have said also.

But then I had a breast reduction and it cured my asthma! Honestly - I haven't used the inhalers for 3 years, even when I've had cold and flu. I know this isn't particularly helpful to you, Ron, but I love to tell this story ;-)

Nx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Best info i got was off asthma uk website which has staff to answer queries, brilliant...takel medicine carefully...also chemists can help explaining etc.....
  • rondetto
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful replies. My GP has sent me for a chest X ray too, just as a precaution. I went today so have to wait for the results now.
    Elna, in reply yes we go to Spain mid April. One drawback of course is that it costs a lot to insure me and my wife. We have to declare all our illnesses just in case we are taken ill abroad.
    I do love my holidays, though it worries me that I have a bad flare up either just before or while we're there. So far been lucky.

Thanks all
    Ron
    xxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    this thread has reminded me i shoud have picked a prescription up,whoops.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Ron

I have Asthma very badly. I use an inhaler, well I use the 2 inhalers but also have to have nebbies.

I use my inhaler differently though. I have a plastic container, on one end you put the inhaler into it. The other end is for you to inhale the meds.
    I have to use nebbie's too.

Once you get into a routine it is not hard.

I hope you get on well though.

Trish x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh, you got a spacer, Trish - SNAP!

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    That's right Annie, so you got one as well.

They do say that having it that way you get almost all the dose.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    alright ron?

I found when I had asthma that if I regularly took the brown inhaler, then I didn't need to use the blue one that much... like other people have said also.

But then I had a breast reduction and it cured my asthma! Honestly - I haven't used the inhalers for 3 years, even when I've had cold and flu. I know this isn't particularly helpful to you, Ron, but I love to tell this story ;-)

Nx

WOW.
    Worth a thought. But then I don't really want to lose any. Do you think it would happen if I had them lifted up a bit?

Joy
  • rondetto
    Options
    Nope, not really helpful, but it seems it worked for you. :D
  • katymac
    katymac Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Ron

Sorry to hear you have joined the chesty gang :lol: I've not been around for a couple of years, but decided to pop back to see my old mates - nice to see you too, oneday.

I'm the one who was buying the silk pantaloon for the camels :D

Kathy
  • rondetto
    Options
    Nice to see you too Katy.
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    I agree ... i need to find my inhaler!

I'm ok at taking the steroid one but my little 'keep the lungs working blue one' i forget quite often!

Got a bright pink pouch for it now tho which im hoping will make it catch my eye more!
    x
  • rondetto
    Options
    Mine's a Ventolin(Blue), but apparently my GP wants to change it to another, I go next week to see her.