SPINE MRI ?????

Options
chile168
chile168 Member Posts: 384
Hi,

Im due to have an MRI on the spine. Can you please tell me if I will have to go through a long tunnel as Im very claustrophobic and feeling panicky and anxious already and the appointment is 1st April.

Thanks

Eve

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eve

We will all be with you so please don't worry too much. I know it is not easy to do some of these tests.

A big (((()))) for you

love Trish xxx
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Options
    chile168 wrote:
    Hi,

Im due to have an MRI on the spine. Can you please tell me if I will have to go through a long tunnel as Im very claustrophobic and feeling panicky and anxious already and the appointment is 1st April.

Thanks

Eve

Hi Eve

Unfortunately, yes you do have to go into a tunnel shaped machine, I don't suffer from claustrophobia but found the roof of the tunnel disconcertingly close to my face, so I kept my eyes shut as I went in, your head sticks out the far end a wee bit once you're in so its not so bad. The radiologist gives you a wee button thing to hold so that if you feel panicky you can press it and they will let you out. They will also play you music to help . B x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    Options
    Hi Eve
    Tell the staff in the department you are claustrophobic - they will be used to it and will be helpful.
    Practice some breathing and relaxation/distraction techniques, visualise yourself somewhere calm like a mountain or empty beach or anywhere that is special to you and stay there till you come out of the machine.
    Hope it goes well.
    Best wishes
    Val