Gardening!

Options
quietwaters
quietwaters Member Posts: 288
edited 14. Mar 2010, 19:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,
I've just replied to Barbara12 on another topic and she has me wondering about gardening.
I love gardening but struggle to get down and plant/ weed things. At the minute, I sit on a small stool to plant bulbs etc. I cant kneel because of my knees so one of those kneel things is no good. Does anyone have any ideas about or tips about how they put in their bulbs, seeds etc without causing too much pain on the old joints? (obviously a gardener would be great, but how much do you pay for this?). I'd rather do my own garden, but do struggle.

All suggestions welcome, and yes, silly ones welcome too (because there's bound to be some :roll: )

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well my oldest son said mum you know for your birthday would you like me to do the back garden for you (he is 24) you know the answer yes yes yes it has got out of hand what with arther and then bad neck from falling last year.
    dropped large hint to youngest son on fb when he was on about going shopping that i wanted some potting compost as do lots of pots can do this at a table and put them where ever i want to . came home today and the biggest bag of compost is in the kitchen with lovely bow on so know what i am doing next week ?????
    val
  • quietwaters
    Options
    valval wrote:
    well my oldest son said mum you know for your birthday would you like me to do the back garden for you (he is 24) you know the answer yes yes yes it has got out of hand what with arther and then bad neck from falling last year.
    dropped large hint to youngest son on fb when he was on about going shopping that i wanted some potting compost as do lots of pots can do this at a table and put them where ever i want to . came home today and the biggest bag of compost is in the kitchen with lovely bow on so know what i am doing next week ?????

that's lovely Val, so they DO listen then? I'm thinking of asking my niece to do gardening when I get out of hospital. She's a landscape gardener, does 'posh' peoples gardens, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind doing mine (not posh) for a small fee. (she was on tv in 2006 with Monty Donn), but not giving any names away!!!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    valval wrote:

that's lovely Val, so they DO listen then? I'm thinking of asking my niece to do gardening when I get out of hospital. She's a landscape gardener, does 'posh' peoples gardens, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind doing mine (not posh) for a small fee. (she was on tv in 2006 with Monty Donn), but not giving any names away!!!
    give her plenty of notice sure she would love to be asked i know people do not want us to think they think we r not able to cope and you would enjoy spending some time with her
    val
  • quietwaters
    Options
    yes, will love spending time with her. But she will bring kids, (who I absolutley love), but they will want to be kept 'occupied', they're 10 and 8, 8-yr old (going on 18) :!:
  • quietwaters
    Options
    oops think last post went a bit wrong. me thinks i've had a few too many already. :? sorry
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi,
    I've just replied to Barbara12 on another topic and she has me wondering about gardening.
    I love gardening but struggle to get down and plant/ weed things. At the minute, I sit on a small stool to plant bulbs etc. I cant kneel because of my knees so one of those kneel things is no good. Does anyone have any ideas about or tips about how they put in their bulbs, seeds etc without causing too much pain on the old joints? (obviously a gardener would be great, but how much do you pay for this?). I'd rather do my own garden, but do struggle.

All suggestions welcome, and yes, silly ones welcome too (because there's bound to be some :roll: )
    Hi just replied to your question on the other thread.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    We are moving to a flat with a very small garden soon........the first time I have had a proper garden for more than 40 years.

Decided from the outset that the garden itself will be shrubs and grass only (hubby will do the mowing, which will take about 30sec!). All plantings including a few veg will be in containers with a couple of raised shelves for gro-bags.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi,

Hi Just come across this

Have you ever tried some gardening tools for disabled?

You can get a trowell on a long pole, you can alter the size of them. You can get all different gardening thinds.

Perhaps that would help. I have had mine a long time now and do not use them, but they are not what I would call pass on things.

Trish xx
  • quietwaters
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    We are moving to a flat with a very small garden soon........the first time I have had a proper garden for more than 40 years.

Decided from the outset that the garden itself will be shrubs and grass only (hubby will do the mowing, which will take about 30sec!). All plantings including a few veg will be in containers with a couple of raised shelves for gro-bags.

Annie

Hi Annie
    If you have any wall, you could have maybe one or two hanging baskets? We only have a very small patio, but have tubs and a very small water feature, and a couple of hanging baskets. Its a small space, but it looks lovely and we love sitting out there in the summer (weather permitting :roll: ). We usually grow beans, (in a tub) which look nice because they have nice flowers, and you get good results from them, keeps us in beans all summer.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie

Hi Annie
    If you have any wall, you could have maybe one or two hanging baskets? We only have a very small patio, but have tubs and a very small water feature, and a couple of hanging baskets. Its a small space, but it looks lovely and we love sitting out there in the summer (weather permitting :roll: ). We usually grow beans, (in a tub) which look nice because they have nice flowers, and you get good results from them, keeps us in beans all summer.

Yes, good idea......will have a small wooden shed which I could use, too.

Annie
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I think raised beds this year, lots of gravel and or paving. Last summer I had a Joan of Arc moment and decided that I should strim the bits that the mower cannot get to. My OH said " are you sure you should be doing this"? Yes, was my stoic reply - damned if I am not going to help. In the end I was holding myself up between our wall and the neighbours fence, barely able to breathe, crippled in pain and we are not talking strimming a country meadow, only a few yards. :oops: Frustrating to say the least.
    Now I will be sorting pots on the garden table and maybe a little sweeping, plus I can make cold drinks and talk to the neighbours 8)
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).