can you help me please?

Options
laineyf
laineyf Member Posts: 15
Hi. My husband has sero-negative spondyloarthropathy, which severely affects his joints, and his mobility is restricted, and very painful. He has suffered with this condition for 7 years now, and it has progressively worsened. He had a heart attack in 2003, and a TIA in 2008. He takes 18 tablets a day, and he has developed diabetes as a result of the steroids that he takes. He also has a sub-cutaneous injection of methotrexate weekly. He is 50 years old. He really needs a recliner chair, but we can't afford to buy one. We are on benefits - I am his carer. I have looked everywhere - on free sites, in newspapers, and have advertised in shop windows - with no results. Do you have ANY idea where I could get a chair for free/really cheap please? He is sitting in a big leather armchair that I got off a free site, but it is not suitable for him, he slumps in it, and there's no support. I got pressure cushions from our OT, who has been wonderful, but she can't help with a chair due to budget cuts. My husband gets very sore, and I worry about this, as his skin is very thin, and he bleeds very easily. I would be very grateful for any help/advice that you could give me. We are in South Warwickshire. Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sorry to hear this i can not help but sure help team will good luck
    val
  • laineyf
    Options
    valval wrote:

thank you very much for your reply. Just been looking on e-bay, but they're all either too expensive, or too far away and I can't afford delivery.
  • valval
    Options
    laineyf wrote:
    valval wrote:

thank you very much for your reply. Just been looking on e-bay, but they're all either too expensive, or too far away and I can't afford delivery.
    sure you will get help soon
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    Options
    Hi Lainey, thank you for your posting, it sounds as if you are having a really difficult time at the moment. We do have something called a Funder Finder and it is software that our Information Department uses to look for funders that may be able to help you. If you private message us or email us your address at Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk we can post you the form that you just fill out and post back to us.

I wonder how much support you have at the moment. In this difficult time, is their any other family members or friends that may be able to help you? We are always here on the helpline if you wanted to talk through anything.

Best wishes
    Jaslin
  • valval
    Options
    told you they were good
    val
  • laineyf
    Options
    valval wrote:
    told you they were good

you did, and you were right. They are brilliant!! thank you so much
  • laineyf
    Options
    laineyf wrote:
    valval wrote:
    told you they were good

Just wanted to say that I have now completed and returned the form, and to thank you once again for your help - and just for listening. It means so much that I can come on here and talk to people who actually listen and understand how life is for us. I know that things 'could be worse' - I hear it all the time, but it really doesn't help when people say that to me, or even worse, tell me to 'pull myself together'. If only it was that easy..............
  • valval
    Options
    laineyf wrote:
    laineyf wrote:
    valval wrote:
    told you they were good

Just wanted to say that I have now completed and returned the form, and to thank you once again for your help - and just for listening. It means so much that I can come on here and talk to people who actually listen and understand how life is for us. I know that things 'could be worse' - I hear it all the time, but it really doesn't help when people say that to me, or even worse, tell me to 'pull myself together'. If only it was that easy..............

stupid people a day in your shoe would show them. but we are here for you come on when you need to
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Lainey
    Welcome to this very friendly forum, people on here are so supportive,you have made the first move now to getting the help you need.
    And when you want to talk we are always here. Hope to see you posting more very soon.
    You take care
    Love
    Barbarax
    Love
    Barbara
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Hi,

I know what its like to be finding things difficult with money etc. What benefits are you on as you might be entitled to a Community Care Grant or a Budgetting loan. The grant you get awarded and the loan you wil have to pay back out your benefits. Give the Social Fund department a call in the DWP (job Centre).

I would look into it as it might help.

Hope this helps and I hope its sorted very soon

Love Claire
    xxxxx

laineyf wrote:
    Hi. My husband has sero-negative spondyloarthropathy, which severely affects his joints, and his mobility is restricted, and very painful. He has suffered with this condition for 7 years now, and it has progressively worsened. He had a heart attack in 2003, and a TIA in 2008. He takes 18 tablets a day, and he has developed diabetes as a result of the steroids that he takes. He also has a sub-cutaneous injection of methotrexate weekly. He is 50 years old. He really needs a recliner chair, but we can't afford to buy one. We are on benefits - I am his carer. I have looked everywhere - on free sites, in newspapers, and have advertised in shop windows - with no results. Do you have ANY idea where I could get a chair for free/really cheap please? He is sitting in a big leather armchair that I got off a free site, but it is not suitable for him, he slumps in it, and there's no support. I got pressure cushions from our OT, who has been wonderful, but she can't help with a chair due to budget cuts. My husband gets very sore, and I worry about this, as his skin is very thin, and he bleeds very easily. I would be very grateful for any help/advice that you could give me. We are in South Warwickshire. Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it.
  • laineyf
    Options
    Hi everyone, and thank you all so very much for your posts. I've never asked anyone for anything before my husband became ill - I always tried to do things myself, but now - well, I can't afford to be proud, and I have no shame anymore lol!!You're all so kind and supportive on this site, and I really appreciate your kindness. I don't think we could have a budgetting loan as we are paying back an overpayment of income support which apparently ocurred in 2004, but wasn't discovered until 2008, so it's not going to be paid back till 2014. As for a CCG, well we had one in October when we moved from our house to this bungalow (and we were very grateful for it) - but I will get in touch with DWP and ask - you never know!!
    It is a definite fact that until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you have no idea of what they have to cope with. Needless to say, all the people who tell me it could be worse etc, are healthy, and, since my husbands illness I have come to realise that if you don't have your health - you have very little. I don't know how it feels to be in constant pain, but I do know how it feels to look after someone who is in constant pain, and the feelings of helplessness that I can't make him better. So I just wanted to say thank you to all you lovely people out there who took the time to talk to me, and help me. I am truly grateful. Love to all of youxxx

Hi,

I know what its like to be finding things difficult with money etc. What benefits are you on as you might be entitled to a Community Care Grant or a Budgetting loan. The grant you get awarded and the loan you wil have to pay back out your benefits. Give the Social Fund department a call in the DWP (job Centre).

Love Claire
    xxxxx

laineyf wrote:
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Hello,

Yeh I would check about CCG and BL. I would just fill out the BL form and they can only say no as it just goes through the computure ( Computer says No!!!) lol.

Good luck and let us know.

Hope it goes ok hun, you know I think these items should be supplied, if its to make a persons quality of life better, but hey I aint governement lol :lol:

Take care and chat soon,
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    laineyf wrote:
    Hi everyone, and thank you all so very much for your posts. I've never asked anyone for anything before my husband became ill - I always tried to do things myself, but now - well, I can't afford to be proud, and I have no shame anymore lol!!You're all so kind and supportive on this site, and I really appreciate your kindness. I don't think we could have a budgetting loan as we are paying back an overpayment of income support which apparently ocurred in 2004, but wasn't discovered until 2008, so it's not going to be paid back till 2014. As for a CCG, well we had one in October when we moved from our house to this bungalow (and we were very grateful for it) - but I will get in touch with DWP and ask - you never know!!
    It is a definite fact that until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you have no idea of what they have to cope with. Needless to say, all the people who tell me it could be worse etc, are healthy, and, since my husbands illness I have come to realise that if you don't have your health - you have very little. I don't know how it feels to be in constant pain, but I do know how it feels to look after someone who is in constant pain, and the feelings of helplessness that I can't make him better. So I just wanted to say thank you to all you lovely people out there who took the time to talk to me, and help me. I am truly grateful. Love to all of youxxx

Hi,

Love Claire
    xxxxx

laineyf wrote: