PsA and Biologics

Options
dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
Hello again helpline peeps :D

I'm following up my previous post about Anti TNFs and Biolgics; specifically about the current restrictions in biologics not being made available to folks with PsA (and other inflammatory arthers)

I intend writing to the Secretary for Health & Well Being and also my local MP about this but need to be able to reference the correct information (so that I am not a total dweeb) :roll:

I live in Scotland so come under the Scottish Medical Consortium guidance; I went on their Website looking for the info. on these meds to include in my letter to the ministers, but the SMC website is not very user friendly. :shock:

Can you advise where I might get the information about what is/ is not licensed for PsA?

thanks a lot helpline.

Iris x :mrgreen:

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Iris
    We've been looking at this recently and gone round in circles The problem seems to be not that the drugs are 'unavailable' but that they are not considered 'useful' for PsA.
    The anti TNFs, Enbrel, Infliximab & Humira are all prescribed. The information on the new one Cimzia (Certolizumab) currently only available in England & Wales, only talks about RA not PsA.
    So does the info on the new Biologic Tocilizumab (currently only available in Scotland).
    The original info on the Biologic Rituximab actually said 'At present there is no reason to think Rituximab would be useful for psoriatic arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis' though I notice the most recent info doesn't say this http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_drugs__medication/rituximab.aspx
    but it still doesn't mention PsA specifically.
    Aaaargh !!
    Iris, all I can suggest is that you ask your rheumy what he can prescribe and if there is any drug which could be helpful that he is not allowed to prescribe which you could then take up with your Secretary for Health.
    Good luck with this

Val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hello Iris
    We've been looking at this recently and gone round in circles The problem seems to be not that the drugs are 'unavailable' but that they are not considered 'useful' for PsA.
    The anti TNFs, Enbrel, Infliximab & Humira are all prescribed. The information on the new one Cimzia (Certolizumab) currently only available in England & Wales, only talks about RA not PsA.
    So does the info on the new Biologic Tocilizumab (currently only available in Scotland).
    The original info on the Biologic Rituximab actually said 'At present there is no reason to think Rituximab would be useful for psoriatic arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis' though I notice the most recent info doesn't say this http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_drugs__medication/rituximab.aspx
    but it still doesn't mention PsA specifically.
    Aaaargh !!
    Iris, all I can suggest is that you ask your rheumy what he can prescribe and if there is any drug which could be helpful that he is not allowed to prescribe which you could then take up with your Secretary for Health.
    Good luck with this

Val

Thank you Val. I appreciate the information. Maybe I was trying to 'bite off more than I can chew', as they say.

I was and am concerned at the way the inflammatory arthers have not had the same consideration as RA when it comes to NICE and SMC approval of new drugs and was trying to understand the reasons for it...and to challenge that if possible.

I have been told that Rituximab is not available for PsA.
    My own rheummy said that he does not think Tocilizumab would be 'useful' for PsA (different target cells?) but would have liked to start me on Certolizumab which he thinks would/ might be ...but it is not available for PsA.

I cannot get my head round why availability is staggered or restricted for PsA and AS...so I will just need to ask more questions! it's a mine field.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to answer this. I do appreciate it! Iris x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    It's all so very complicated and it seems like PA does get a bit of a raw deal. I saw the OT the other week and she told me folk with PA don't usually have much bother with their hands. I was astounded as I know lots of people, myself included who most certainly do.
    rita