Registering with a GP

Options
dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 10. Apr 2010, 12:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well if that don't beat all :shock:

I moved home to be with my dad last year when he became terminally ill....but I didn't transfer GP then as I was reluctant to do so... as I've got a wonderful GP where I used to live.

problem is she's 40 mls away and with arther getting worse and me now not being able to drive I thought it was time to bite the bullet and register locally. Easy?

Not so.....I have now applied to the five local practices and NONE of them will have me!
The most recent one ...yesterday's effort....took my application and had a meeting last night to discuss whether to 'let me' onto their list. I have just phoned them to be told I was 'unsuccessful'.!?

No reason given..just 'unsuccessful'. It's not the receptionist fault so no use complaining to her.

I work, am not an alcoholic, not a smoker nor take drugs (illicit ones anyway)

The only thing I do have is ARTHER.......a history of orthopaedic operations and medical problems to do with the immune system.

So there we have it......thanks, arther.

What on earth am I to do now? Irisx

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What is the world coming to!

Might be worth a word with your local MP.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Iris i'm so sorry to hear that surely one of them would have to take you. I never had to fill a form in, i would get in touch with your local mp. Wonder if you could ring your old docter and see if they can do anything for you. Hope you get something sorted soon please let us know. Sending you a ((((hug))))

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • dorcas
    Options
    wibberley wrote:
    What is the world coming to!

Might be worth a word with your local MP.

Thanks wibberley,

I'll try to do that. I think it's so unfair that they can just tell you you're unsuccessful and not give any reason? the receptionist wasn't even able to tell me how I could find out.

Meantime I'll have to get two trains and a taxi to see the doc. Iris x
  • venita
    venita Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi Iris

Please contact your local primary care trust you should be able to get their number from your local hospital or directory enquires or search online. They will have a list of GP practises who are in your area taking on patients.

Should you continue to have problems put the ball in their court and say you have arthur you need medical treatment and they need to find a GP near you, do you have a Rhumey where you are now ? Maybe they can help.

Good Luck in search.

Hope this information is of use to you.

Venita
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    That is terrible Iris, they should at least explain their reasons. I would be on to the Practice Manager, then the Primary Care Trust for that surgery.
    I filled in a form when I changed Dr's last year and had to use more paper, due to a plethera of medical things, but they were fine, saw the nurse and see my GP every month. Not sure if it is due to area, or population numbers, or if their books are full, but you have a right to a GP and the local authority will allocate you one if needs be.
    Good luck, it is never pleasant changing GP's at the best of times, especially when your original one knows you very well and vice versa.
    xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks venita, thanks Bubbles :D

I will phone the practice manager.....I think I should at least be given a reason?...and then the Primary Care Trust/ website sounds like a good idea.

I'm surprised at how low it made me feel getting knocked back. :( daft really.

Iris x
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Thanks venita, thanks Bubbles :D

I will phone the practice manager.....I think I should at least be given a reason?...and then the Primary Care Trust/ website sounds like a good idea.

I'm surprised at how low it made me feel getting knocked back. :( daft really.

Iris x

Not at all Iris, let us know how you get on, good luck. xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dorcas
    Options
    snowball wrote:
    Iris i'm so sorry to hear that surely one of them would have to take you. I never had to fill a form in, i would get in touch with your local mp. Wonder if you could ring your old docter and see if they can do anything for you. Hope you get something sorted soon please let us know. Sending you a ((((hug))))

Julie xx

thanks Julie,
    that's a good idea asking my old doctor! I'm sure she will be horrified by this and want to help if she can.
    (((hug))) appreciated.
    Iris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hmmmph!!!!

I think NHS direct can help.

You are entitled to have aGP I think and they can advise.

Hey good luck :)

Love

Toni xx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Iris, Your primary care trust will register you if you contact them. You are entitled to primary health care and it is their job to make sure you get it. You will be allocated a GP and their practice cannot refuse.

Good luck
    Sally xx
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Dorcas,

That's diabolical! I have long thought that these GPs are 'looking after their budget' and they won't entertain patients who are ill and are going to cost them money.

I lived elsewhere 10 years ago - when I found out I had arthur - but years before thaat it was on my records that I had it and nobody had told me. A Locum doctor did and I didn't believe him (sadly) so I had no treatment. I'm sure it was because I'd start costing the practice money! I feel that if I tried to change doctors where I live now, now that I'm on Humira .... I'd have a hard job too.

If I were in your shoes I'd get on to PALS and ask for their help.

We don't need this sort of thing with what we've got. Sorry to say it but criminals, assylum seekers and druggies get better cared for than some of us.
    Good luck and (((( ))))s.
    Do
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    How ridiculous - it is people like us who keep them in their jobs!! I thought if they had spaces they had to take you on and if they knew their books were full why not tell you at the beginning instead of making you fill out forms and then turn you down?! Defin contact Local primary health trust and let them sort it out.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks a lot Toni, Sally, Dolittle and Speedalong,

I phoned NHS direct and they confirmed what all of you advised...... to contact the PCT and I willl be 'allocated' a GP via their Registration Services. (through a roata system apparently)

I think it's terrible to be made to jump through hoops to get a GP and for the local GPs to make me complete an application to transfer and then have a meeting only to say a big fat 'no thanks' was just demoralising. It will be all the more ironic if that's the practice I'm allocated to!

I also think that when they did a run on their system (they wanted my CHI and NHS Number) and saw how much my treatment was costing they decided to give me the elbow. I can't work out any other explanation.

I'm going to complain about the way I was treated (pardon the pun) to the Health Board and my MP...........

thanks all you great peeps for your support. Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

You know even my doctors would stand in ore of that one! :shock: You have to be able to register with a doctor in your area and I would contact the PCT and if they do make the gp's who rejected you take you on.... well just smile and be you and they should be fine.

I know what it feels like to be rejected and am sending you a (((( )))) and a hope you won't have to travel 40 miles for much longer. Luv Cris xx
  • dobbie
    dobbie Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad time with the NHS.

I work as a receptionist in a GP surgery and my understanding is that as long as you live within the surgerys allocated area then they cannot refuse anyone wanting to register, the only thing they can do is ask for proof of address. I would ring the surgery and ask to speak to the practice manager and find out the reasons they wouldn't register you. You can also speak to someone at the local health trust as they like to be informed of GPs that aren't registering patients :!:

Hope you fnd a lovely GP soon
  • salamander
    Options
    Iris, Dobbie is absolutely right. When I moved gp's a couple of years ago all they wanted was proof of my address and NHS number and I am a very costly patient. It is my understanding, in any case, that gp's get extra money for patients with certain health conditions which should cover some of their costs.
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Cris, Dobbie and Sally!

thanks for your replies and advice. I phoned the surgery as suggested....but the practice manager isn't in today, so I'll try again tomorrow.

I have also spoken with the 'Registration Service' for this area and have to fax them a letter with my request to transfer. (what a palaver :shock: )

The person on the phone said 'there are problems with GPs accepting new patients in your area (don't I know it) so we allocate on a rota basis to ensure that all of the practices take equal the number of new patients.' (friendly isn't it?....makes me feel really welcome)

I did tell her about being made to jump through hoops....filling in a form only to be rejected after the GPS had their meeting.....but she could not comment.

I'll see if my MP wants to 'comment'. Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Iris,
    Go girl go!!!

They picked a battle with the wrong person!!

Speedalong
    x
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Options
    Well, I phoned that GP practice again this morning (I know I am like a dog with a bone now :roll: )....

The Practice Manager was 'not available' as she was having her tea break (fair enough. I love my tea too).
    The receptionist asked me the 'nature of my enquiry' so that she could let the PM know what the call was about??. (O..K....mmmm I thought, I wonder .....)
    She was also a little reluctant to give me the PMs name...

Guess what?.....long tea break that!! I have sat here sitting by the phone and the PM has not phoned me back.. quel surprise!

sooo I have now emailed my MP and the PCT (LHCC).

Why is everything such a battle? Iris x
  • dorcas
    Options
    I was allocated to a local surgery by the NHS Patient Registration Services...and feeling like some bad smell that everyone wants to avoid I went for my first GP appointment yesterday....

guess what?...

The Gp won't prescribe some of the meds I'm on :shock: despite the fact that I took the repeat prescription sheet for my previous doc..and.. a copy of both my Orthopaedic and Rheummy latest reports..both of which also list the meds they say I should have this new doc said he would not prescribe them as it's a dangerous combination and if I made a mistake (died) their practice would be liable. :shock: :?

I explained that I am aware of what I can and cannot take together and have managed my meds this way for years...and pointed out that my docs (proof before him) have been happy enough to ALL agree.....but....no chance he won't budge!

.....so now what? :(

Iris x

oh, the MSP has written to the practice that rejected me demanding an explanation as she believes they have discriminated against me. The MSP has also asked them to explain the criteria they use for accepting a patient onto their list..
  • salamander
    Options
    Hi Iris,

That is disappointing. Can you ask him to review your meds and recommend a combination you can take and explain why the various drugs shouldn't be given together? I can sort of understand his position as my previous doctor prescribed stuff for years that my current one won't and, although I was annoyed initially, am glad they are taking my health seriously. Some GPs are very lax in their prescribing and, just because they've issued prescriptions, doesn't necessarily mean they are safe for you to take. Though I take your point about your consultants view. Maybe they should work together to sort out a regime that both works and is safe for you to take......?
    I hope you can sort something out.
    xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Glad you got it sorted in the sense of being with a closer gp than your old ones. Sorry about the meds though..... I agree with Sally see if you can get your consultants to help you with the meds. Its not so easy for gp's to over-ride consultants....... Its good they are aware of your health but not so good they don't see what the tables do for you and well you have survived this far eh?!

Good luck and hope I don't hit the same problem with tablets when I see my new doctors...... Hey one thing for me is mine couldn't be worse than the last ones but for you I hope the new ones are as good or better. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Iris

Just read this thread and its shocking how you are being treated. Can I suggest it might also be worth copying in the Chief Exec of the Strategic Health Authority too - that normally helps put a rocket up the PCT/GPS bum. Oh and if you really want to annoy them copy in the Care Quality Commission too. Your MSP will probably enjoy doing that!

Really hope you get some grovelling letters of apology

x

kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

delboy, If there's one thing (well three things) bring out the worst in me...it's bureaucratic mumbo jumbo, injustice and discrimination. :x

I am very stubborn when I get going and I will see this through...
    I'm beginning to think though that I am turning into a female version of dear old Victor Meldrew....but without the laughs!

Sally, I'm going to ask my consultant rheummy to send a letter to my new GP...after all it's he who prescribed this combo in the first place and reviewed the meds again in March! I do understand the GP's reluctance and if I were the one asking for these drugs without the backing of rheummy and ortho then I would see and agree with newbie...but it's not so I am. (don't think that makes sense...must be the lack of proper meds that's confusing me. :lol::wink: )

Chris, you know better than anyone what it's like to have uselessnesses. I really do hope your new docs are more professional, competent and considerate than your last ones! please let us know how you get on!

I did say to the newbie that I had managed this far not to kill myself...but he just looked at me in stony silence. Too much too soon do you think??

Kit, I like your style! do you want to be my secretary? I will look a bit further into your suggestions. My MSP is mad about it...it does help that I used to work with her so she knows me well and vice versa so I trust she will also 'see it through'.

As for an apology...I would be astounded if there was one...more likely they'll say that they try to keep a mix of patients and unfortunately there are too many like me! (sounds nice and bureaucratic doesn't it?)

anyway THANKS all. will let you know the outcome. Iris x
  • salamander
    Options
    Iris, you are right of course. I guess the new one is just being cautious but it's a shame if it's having a negative impact on you. Hope it gets resolved soon. It's great, though, that you have finally got a doctor close by - sure it will make a big difference once you've got drug issues ironed out.
    xx