pocket money

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 19. Mar 2010, 10:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
I give my 3 children a small monthly amount of pocket money. I get them to do work around the house such as making tea,shutting curtains,washing up and fetching stuff when my legs hurt for no reward.
I was wondering if any of you pay your kids for extra tasks as an incentive or do you just expect them to do this stuff anway?
I am just interested in whether you think paying children is a good thing or not!
All the best
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

I think it is a very good idea to give children money for tasks you have asked them to do for you. It teaches them that money has to be earned through work, a valuable lesson for later life. They will also understand the value of money more if they have earned it, and are more likely to spend it wisely.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou Del and Joan,
    They are very good points about earning for your own treats and to learn the value of money by earning it.
    Thanks
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we always gave ours pocket money not loads as never had much to spare but if they do not handle money from early they never under stand the value. but when they got older and i worked used to pay them to cut the grass when i did not have time they would have done it with out but getting paid made them feel more grown up also my mum rides a scooter and she used to pay them to wash it for her as she hated doing it. one is great with money the other spends it as soon as he gets his hands on it lol
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    I do elizabeth I do think it teaches them the work ethic a bit.

Mine can eran extra cash on top of their pocket money. Things like CLEANING bins which dont matter if they dont do them.

Also I ahae recently opened them a bank account and tehir money gets opaid in monthly so they can RUN OUT!!

They have card and can draw it out and use chip and pin online too (only childrens sites).

Love

Toni xx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Havent really done the pocket money thing as not sure on an amount to give and can imagine one child would spend the lot...but i do put money aside each month for them to spend on holidays...this holiday money is only given to them if they keep room tidy...one hasnt tidied rooms for months so stopped putting money aside for that one...still not made them tidy it up!!!
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I think earning pocket money is a good idea - my two sons always did jobs around the house and liked being able to count their earnings!!

I also think it's good for them to do jobs without payment - teaches them to help just because it's nice to do these sort of things.

Pheebs x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Mine get pocket money but not alot
    I dont give them any jobs to do unless Arthurs playing up which they happily do without payment
  • frogmorton
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Mine get pocket money but not alot
    I dont give them any jobs to do unless Arthurs playing up which they happily do without payment

What sweeties Maria :D

Love

Toni xx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    I used to give mine pocket money for doing little jobs around the house, when Simon was 13 he wanted a car to do up, i told him he would have to get a paper round and sve the money up to buy one. He did and he washed his grandads car, cut the nieghbours grass and when he was 13 and half he went with his grandad and bought a old mini which was put in my parents garage and he worked on it for years in his spare time. He kept up with the paper round to buy parts for his mini.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • tkachev
    Options
    Great ideas. I was worried that the children could start expecting money for everything and never helping unless paid.I think a happy compromise is needed...some pocket money, some behaviour awards and some incentive money(eg mowing the lawn).
    Thanks for your input.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elizebeth
    My sons are all grown up now, but for the past few years I have had my grandchildren living with us.
    My youngest one who is 9 love to do jobs, and is a brilliant saver, my eldest one is 12, and at that age where she would rather not do the jobs....and do without the money.
    We do make sure that when they want something, they have little jobs to do, it really dose learn them the value of money.
    Love
    Barbara
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    My husband gives our daughters £1 a week pocket money each and has done for a couple of years now. I think this is excessive but we do monitor how they spend it and they are usually with us anyway as they're 11, 7 and 6 years old. They're quite crafty about "forgetting" to bring their own money when we go shopping so I fork out for stuff!

For that money, they keep their rooms tidy(ish), makes their own beds, put their washing and ironing away and dry up the dishes when I've washed up. So I suppose we get our money's worth out of them?!

I have a neice and nephew who have always been given pocket money but have never lifted a finger round the house. I think it's important for kids to realise that they earn their money.

Nx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    So right Nina

they need to develop the work ethic young :D

Love

Toni xx