Acer laptops

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 18. Mar 2010, 17:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
To be honest I've never heard of a noisy laptop. How long
have you had it? If it's new, return it and ask for another one.
Mine is so quiet, there shouldn't be any noise whatsoever.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    mine only makes a noise when cr running (hp) so can not help message them and ask it usually good and quick with answers
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Alan Hi Ron

Is it sort of wurring when it's 'doing something'??

I think that's normal. We have several at worka dn they seem to vary - one is quite noisy though.

Love

Toni xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Does anyone think they run noisy. or is it just the way they run.
    Are all laptops noisy like this. How quiet is your laptop, it must be a noisy fan. First time iv'e had one so I can't judge. Alanmancunian
    Laptops are usually fairly quiet, but always noisier than a normal desktop PC. If you get a light come on when it is noisy, then it is the hard disk drive running. If no light, then it is the cooling fan for the CPU, (the main computer chip), which also cools all the circuit board and other chips as well. It is best to use the laptop on a hard surface where possible, as you can inadvertently block the air vents underneath with your knees or clothing and that makes the fan run longer as it tries harder to cool the insides.

Very often the disk drive and cooling fan will come on together, then all laptops can be a bit fan-type noisy anyway. Put your hand near, but not blocking the fan outlet, then you should feel a stream of hot air blown out by the fan when it is running.

Also the DVD disc drive, if fitted, can sometimes run intermittently even if no disc is inserted. Well mine does anyway.

These would be the main things I would check first to see where the noise is coming from. But laptops will never really be 'silent' as such for long periods. Just a final thought, check all the foot pads underneath are in place, as if one is missing then the laptop will vibrate on the surface it stands on. I have renewed all mine recently as one was missing.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alan
    We have had a Acer laptop since November, I must say we don't find it noisy, but we did have a problem with the keyboard, it was sent back to acer, who I must say were brilliant,
    They kept us updated has to what was happening , they told us the problem , sorted it and returned it within a week.
    They have also phoned twice to see how we were getting on with it.
    Barbara.
    Love
    Barbara
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    Does anyone think they run noisy. or is it just the way they run.
    Are all laptops noisy like this. How quiet is your laptop, it must be a noisy fan. First time iv'e had one so I can't judge. Alanmancunian
    Laptops are usually fairly quiet, but always noisier than a normal desktop PC. If you get a light come on when it is noisy, then it is the hard disk drive running. If no light, then it is the cooling fan for the CPU, (the main computer chip), which also cools all the circuit board and other chips as well. It is best to use the laptop on a hard surface where possible, as you can inadvertently block the air vents underneath with your knees or clothing and that makes the fan run longer as it tries harder to cool the insides.

Very often the disk drive and cooling fan will come on together, then all laptops can be a bit fan-type noisy anyway. Put your hand near, but not blocking the fan outlet, then you should feel a stream of hot air blown out by the fan when it is running.

Also the DVD disc drive, if fitted, can sometimes run intermittently even if no disc is inserted. Well mine does anyway.

These would be the main things I would check first to see where the noise is coming from. But laptops will never really be 'silent' as such for long periods. Just a final thought, check all the foot pads underneath are in place, as if one is missing then the laptop will vibrate on the surface it stands on. I have renewed all mine recently as one was missing.

Joseph 8)
    thats very useful, i must amit i never really noticed with mine and its a hp one mind you i had to buy a new battery for it recently, are them laptop bases any good that you can sit your laptop on you can see them on play.com they supposed to help keep them cooler well thats the theory i was thinking of maybe getting one but still thinking about it.

sylvia
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have 4 laptops. My sons HP clunks and whrrrrs.This is the one that was hrown out the window. The other 3 are quite quiet.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • duckydeni
    duckydeni Member Posts: 12
    Options
    My Acer only really makes a noise when its doing something..... like downloading or i have a CD playing. Normally when just browsing it is quiet.

^_^
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I bought an Acer laptop just yesterday........seems to be quiet as a mouse at the moment, certainly not heard anything to comment on so far.

Not that I'm using it at the moment........this is our old one!

Annie
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    only49 wrote:
    are them laptop bases any good that you can sit your laptop on you can see them on play.com they supposed to help keep them cooler well thats the theory i was thinking of maybe getting one but still thinking about it.
    sylvia
    I use a Belkin Laptop Cooler with a single fan. It does cool the laptop properly and I always use it if I am on for a long time. Put it underneath, plug it into a USB port and away it goes, but I always use it with the mains power supply plugged in. I tend to only use it on a table, so I don't know whether it would work properly on someone's lap.

I can't comment on the others you see on sale, but they all seem very similar. I don't think that the folding ones look all that strong, so I would suggest a solid one. Plenty on E bay at reasonable prices, search for laptop cooler.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I'm using our Acer now and the only problem we have had is that the hinge has broken and so the screen is a bit precarious- and as with all these things costs an arm and a leg to repair!
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    I bought an Acer laptop just yesterday........seems to be quiet as a mouse at the moment, certainly not heard anything to comment on so far.

Not that I'm using it at the moment........this is our old one!

Annie

Annie
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Thanks goodness you added that second sentence you had me worried for a moment as to how you were posting with the lappie switched off :shock: !!!

Chris
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Impossibilities I do daily!

Annie
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    Options
    my first acer the fan went within about 6 months, returned it and took ages as unfortunatly i'd taken it on hire purchase (big mistake) but this one i've had for 18 months and never been an issue,