noisy neighbours.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 25. Mar 2010, 05:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
My new neighbours have to have TV on really loud. It is booming thru the wall.The walls of our house are very thin but this is boom!boom!
Who has a plan that I can use to shut them up!

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• duckydeni
    duckydeni Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I dont really have any ideas on a plan to shut them up but i can totally sympathise with your situation.

My neighbours not only play trance music at 8am and have a vicious dog barking all day they are so lazy that they throw their rubbish out the window (it lands under mine) and set it on fire!

My plan - i'm going to move.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I don't know what the answer is really but are they the kind you could have a quiet word with as they may not realise? I wonder if you could turn yours up so they see it can be heard? I just hope you can get something sorted without any aggro. Luv Cris x
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    My new neighbours have to have TV on really loud. It is booming thru the wall.The walls of our house are very thin but this is boom!boom!
    Who has a plan that I can use to shut them up!

Elizabeth
    Hi Elizabeth my neighbours are deaf and i can hear there tv in my room so i bought a home cinema system and now have speakers all over the place and can't hear there tv anymore. I did ask them if they could hear mine as i was worried but they said no, never asked if i could hear theres though :roll: you could get in contact with your local council and keep a diary, hope this helps.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Elizabeth, you could do with having a quiet word with your new neighbours as they might not realise just how thin the walls are.

If they dont want to co-operate then you will need to report it to the council under the noise abatement rules.

You will be asked to do a log of the times that the TV is blaring and also the barking of the dog, then the council will decide if it is unreasonable or not.

It worked for our avenue when we were troubled with a constantly barking dog.

Sorry to hear you have such problems.
    Kath x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    keep a diary and contact council if dont feel can approach them....also try posting on grump thread as rehab may offer an answer.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Get some speakers and place them facing against the wall, put on a heavy metal track and max the volume and bass.

With a bit of luck their TV will topple with the reverberations and break.

Or have a word and if they don't comply keep a diary and inform your local environmental office for advice.
    Excellent advice although if you are planning to move & you have reported them I think you have to tell the new buyers I might be wrong on that.
    My neighbours were a nightmare but didnt complain to authorities but did to them! didnt tell buyers what they were like but luckily they didnt ask
    Good luck sorting them out maybe they dont realise how thin the walls are!
  • tkachev
    Options
    They are new, single mum with 3 or 4 children.I havent spoken to them yet! Generally they seem okay but they play the TV so loud.Our walls are like paper.The first time they moved in they played their music loud and my autistic son(very noise sensitive)banged on the wall and shouted and screamed and they did turn it down.
    The problem is that side of the house seems almost out of bounds at times so everyone congregates in my bedroom or kitchen away from the noise.One son uses headphones and seems to cope but he has homework to do and it is hard to concerntrate.
    I cannot understand why people have to have the TV so loud(unless they are deaf) but I suppose they dont yet realise the extent of the noise, having not lived here very long.We try are best to keep quiet for their sake.
    I have been tempted to play my music back during the day.
    I will monitor the situation and keep notes.Thanks for all your input.I am sorry to read that a lot of you have very bad,difficult neighbours.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    keep a diary and contact council if dont feel can approach them....also try posting on grump thread as rehab may offer an answer.

Hi Oneday,
    I was going to post on the grump thread but felt Rehab might not consider it a good enough grump!!!!!!
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Poor you :(

I do like the idea someone had (Julie?) to nip round and see the Mum and say I hope we arent disturbing you, but theses walls are very thin...if we do please do let me know...

Hope it settles for you otherwise your bedroom is going to get very crowded.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Toni

My bedroom is very crowded!!!!!!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi I had the same problem last year with a neighbours daughter playing her music so loudly it disturbed me of a night so I reported to the council and they sent them a letter still didn't do any good so what I did then I phoned my local police station and they were very reassuring and said any time you hear it in your house phone us and don't worry that's what we are here for, and they assured me it would be done without saying who had complained, :D so now I have the number programmed into my phone and phone them every time there's a problem, any way I was told by the police what happens is they send a policeman round to the house asking them to turn it down, and also they log all the complaints and if it happens again with 24 hours the police have the power to go in and remove the equipment,
    luckily its not had to come to that with me but I thought I would share my experience and what happened etc it might help

Sylvia
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou for that.

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi, i would especially recomend this but i remember when i was in my early teens we had new neighboughrs move in. They were constently shouting, slamming doors, sounded like they were running up and down the bare stairs (no carpet) wearing hob-nail-boots all times of day and night.

One day my mum had just about had enough. She turned on the stereo loud, the hoover, the tv and the washing machine then went out!

She was only out for around 20 minutes but the neighbours were quiet after that :!: :lol:

Carol x
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou Carol. There might come a time that I resort to that just so they are aware but i hope it doesnt come to that.

How are you? Havent seen on you on here for ages!

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    It is important to ring your local council each time to log a complaint. I was told that if the council or the police have a record of your calls it will help if they are to issue a noise abatement notice. The council can issue a notice to your neighbours for 'everyday noise' but it takes longer. Get a noise diary going, log time, place and effect it has on you. There is quite a lot the council can do, even for so called 'every day noise.'

You can also call noise team in office hours and they will come and witness it. If you can't use one of your rooms that is something they need to hear for themselves. My local council installed a 'box' for recording dogs barking all day. They needed it to collect evidence to deal with it so give them the ammunition to sort it out. They can insist the neighbours keep their tv down or fine them if they don't.
    Good luck, you can do it but it takes a while.

Sally
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks. You are a knowledgable bunch!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Thankyou Carol. There might come a time that I resort to that just so they are aware but i hope it doesnt come to that.

How are you? Havent seen on you on here for ages!

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

I'm doing really well thank you. Had quite a bit going on (see remember me? thread)

How are you keeping?

Carol x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hows it going with the noisy neighbours?
    Maria x
  • tkachev
    Options
    It only seems to be over the other side of the house that I can hear it.If I stay in my bedroom it is bearable.The problems are my son needs to do homework, my other son is noise sensitive and gets very upset and angry.We cant all live over this side of the house!
    They have been quieter this week thankfully.

elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein