Calcium in the blood

Options
kerrycc
kerrycc Member Posts: 89
edited 3. Apr 2010, 07:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello

I have been to the hosp today after suffering with a flare up, while I was there, the doc said that I had a high level of calcuim in my blood - they took more blood so I await the results. It can't be too serious because the are leaving me until my next app which is in May. Does anyone know what this could mean? xx

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sorry not heard of this but sure they would have sorted it if anything to worry about
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Kerry

I think it can be caused by a few things - one is something similar to thyroid problems...

Hopefully as Val says not much to worry about or they would have started some treatment.

Might even be normal this test too :?: :)

I hope so

Hey have you tried googling it?

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    If this is the first time you've had this problem, then it might be a problem with the blood test or just something put the levels up that day. I don't know, I'm not a medic, but, I do know that doctors will often need to take several blood tests before they commit themselves to treatment.

If you are worried why not ask your GP either on the phone or in person. He might be able to put your mind at rest.

I think you are right not to worry too much at the moment, the doctor would have done more or explained more if it was serious, I'm sure. :wink: Love Sue PS Perhaps you've been drinking too much milk or eating too many cream cakes!!! :shock: :lol:
  • kerrycc
    Options
    Thanks for you thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that as the tests are from my bloods in December, they would have called me in by now if they were worried. I did google it and frightened myself!! It talks about cancer and everything! I soon closed that down. I might talk to my GP to see if they can shed any light - i'll let you know xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    kerrycc wrote:
    Thanks for you thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that as the tests are from my bloods in December, they would have called me in by now if they were worried. I did google it and frightened myself!! It talks about cancer and everything! I soon closed that down. I might talk to my GP to see if they can shed any light - i'll let you know xx

please do get back to us good luck with gp
    val
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I think chatting to your GP is a good idea, help you put your mind at rest. :wink:

Take care, I'm sure it'll be fine!
    Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi keery

How right you are not to read sites like that :shock: can scare the life out of you :x

I tend to agree - if it was a real worry they would have seen you by now - form DECEMBER!!!

Do let us know what it is though

Love

Toni xx
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    Options
    :D Hi i wounder if you have a over reactive thyroid i ny self have a under active called hyporparathyroidism long ords ! i have to take calcuim meds to keep my calcuim up , but maybe in your case its too much. tc paulch
  • kerrycc
    Options
    Hello again everyone
    I finally plucked up the courage to ring my nurse... I got a call back from her today to say that there is a letter on its way to me, telling me that I need to go and see someone as the high calcium result in my blood, has a knock on effect that means I have a vitamin D deficiency, which could mean that I do have a problem with my thyroid! I'll probably have more blood tests to determin this and then i'll know the best way forward. Its funny because I haven't really been feeling myself since January but couldn't really put my finger on why, just generally run down and tired - I put it down to arthur but my nurse says its more likely to be the thyroid. At least it looks like that side of things will be sorted sometime soon xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Kerry, glad you are getting some answers. let's hope the blood tests are soon

Keep us posted,

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • kittyboo
    kittyboo Member Posts: 9
    Options
    kerrycc wrote:
    Hello again everyone
    I finally plucked up the courage to ring my nurse... I got a call back from her today to say that there is a letter on its way to me, telling me that I need to go and see someone as the high calcium result in my blood, has a knock on effect that means I have a vitamin D deficiency, which could mean that I do have a problem with my thyroid! I'll probably have more blood tests to determin this and then i'll know the best way forward. Its funny because I haven't really been feeling myself since January but couldn't really put my finger on why, just generally run down and tired - I put it down to arthur but my nurse says its more likely to be the thyroid. At least it looks like that side of things will be sorted sometime soon xxx
    This is my first post (will go and introduce myself shortly)
    I had the same problem as you.
    Lots of aches and pains and not feeling myself and then it got alot worse.
    I started getting kidney stones and at one point could hardly stand the pain that I was pescribed morphine.
    A young Dr noticed high calcium in my blood test and diagnosed hyperparathyroidism.
    Basically too much calcium.
    I ended up in hospital having the parathyroid removed and to be honest have never really recovered.
    I have lots of problems with my joints and have OA.
    i hope you soon get to know what is wrong and hopefully it is not this.
    Good luck
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Kitty

Just wanted to welcome you form me :D

Good you are already sharing your experience with others.

Sorry about the OA and everything, but good to have you on board

Love

Toni xx
  • happymegs
    happymegs Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, my husband had hyperparathyroidism too and he had operation to remove part of parathyroid gland and is now his happy self again no medication either (he was getting really grumpy :cry:
    and passed a huge Kidney stone long story) found out through blood test everyone one is different.
    kittyboo wrote:
    kerrycc wrote:
    Hello again everyone
    This is my first post (will go and introduce myself shortly)
    I had the same problem as you.
    Lots of aches and pains and not feeling myself and then it got alot worse.
    I started getting kidney stones and at one point could hardly stand the pain that I was pescribed morphine.
    A young Dr noticed high calcium in my blood test and diagnosed hyperparathyroidism.
    Basically too much calcium.
    I ended up in hospital having the parathyroid removed and to be honest have never really recovered.
    I have lots of problems with my joints and have OA.
    i hope you soon get to know what is wrong and hopefully it is not this.
    Good luck