Seronegative RA

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hi, I know I post a lot of questions but I also have a lot of questions. :oops: It's a steep learning curve for me, I hope that's ok. I really appreciate the help I get.

I saw an occupational therapist yesterday who asked if I've had any x-rays. I haven't. I've only had a radioactive isotope bone scan. I asked if I should ask my rheumy about x-rays and she said no because seronegative RA doesn't cause erosions anyway. I was wondering, is this true? Also, is there a great difference between seronegative and seropositive RA?

Thank you.
Sophie

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie, thank you for your posting. Not to worry we will try and help where we can!

We are not aware of the term Seropositive.

Seronegative arthritis is the general term describing many types of inflammatory arthritis where the RF (rheumatoid factor) does not show up in blood tests. There is a factsheet on seronegative arthritis on the following link:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets#cK45

You can ask you’re rheumy whether they can x-ray you to see how your joints are doing to get a better picture of things. There you can also discuss joint damage which I believe may be the ‘erosion’ your OT is referring to. Maybe also talk about your bone scan you had done and see what exactly they looked at.

I hope this was helpful.
    Best wishes
    Jaslin
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've never heard of the term seropositive before the OT used it. I guess she means people with a positive rheumatoid factor. I understand a little bit about seronegative arthritis and thank you for the link, I did read it. :) I'm assuming she meant joint damage when she said 'erosions'. I was wondering if a negative RF means that I won't have joint damage? They're pretty sure I have RA due to the pattern of affected joints.

Thank you for the reply. Apologies if I wasn't clear with my terminology.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi princess, I was given the impression that I could get damage if I didn't have treatment (am seronegative). It is one of the reasons they try to start it within 3 months of diagnosis.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    'sero- negative' just describes inflammatory arthers that don't have a positive rheumatoid factor.... such as Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, etc..
    sometimes called the 'sero-negative arthropathies' there is no one test that identifies them , so it can take longer to get a firm diagnosis....x rays, mri, signs and symptoms over time.

Unfortunately they still cause joint damage..... and are treated with some of the same meds as RA, although there are differences when it comes to access to the biologics.

hope you get treatments soon . Iris x