Talks in Schools

Options
butterflywings
butterflywings Member Posts: 25
Hi

My daughter has Oligarticular JIA and currently in year 5 at her primary school. She has been suffering with this from the age of 15 months.

She has had alot of difficulties with the school with the children mainly teasing her. I think it's partly the lack of information that the school has on JIA.

At my last visit with the physio, we saw an occupational therapist and she said that someone from arthritis care could go to schools to 'educate' them, or they have done in the past. Is this true?

I have some booklets and paperwork to give to the school next week so they can read up on it. My daughter was thinking of doing a short power point presentation herself in an assembly so if a physical presence from yourselves isn't possible maybe some guidance on how she herself could do a presentation?

Thank you so much for your time on this.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

My daughter has Oligarticular JIA and currently in year 5 at her primary school. She has been suffering with this from the age of 15 months.

She has had alot of difficulties with the school with the children mainly teasing her. I think it's partly the lack of information that the school has on JIA.

At my last visit with the physio, we saw an occupational therapist and she said that someone from arthritis care could go to schools to 'educate' them, or they have done in the past. Is this true?

I have some booklets and paperwork to give to the school next week so they can read up on it. My daughter was thinking of doing a short power point presentation herself in an assembly so if a physical presence from yourselves isn't possible maybe some guidance on how she herself could do a presentation?

Thank you so much for your time on this.

Dear Butterflywings

Thank you for your posting on the forum. Our south eastern regional office provides workshops in schools within their area designed to make students and pupils aware of the impact and effects of arthritis. If you contact the regional office that applies to your area then they will be able to let you know if they provide workshops in schools.
    As we do not know which area of the country you live in if you follow the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea this will lead you to our national and regional offices. If you select the one that covers the area in which you live you can contact them (the contact details for each are all on the website) and they will be able to talk to you about your request.

Of particular use to give the school may be the booklet ‘Chat to Teachers’ that you can download from our website on http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Youngpeopleandfamilies and there is a lot of additional information on our website on young people http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Youngpeople. You can also contact us here on the Source, our helpline for young people and their families if you would like any more support. You can either ring us on our freephone helpline on 0808 808 2000 (Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm) or by email on thesource@arthritiscare.org.uk. I hope that this information is helpful to you.
    Best Wishes
    Dawn