ruined school clothes!! argh!

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 22. Mar 2010, 07:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
ellie, my eldest has come home 3 times this half term with paint on her school clothes, not to bad except it is fabric paint and won't wash off.
so i've had to throw out 3 white school shirts.
luckily although both pairs of her trousers have paint on them it's not to noticeable, so she is still wearing them.
ok so at the age of 11 she should be able to keep the paint on the paper, but also surely the school should be using normal paint not fabric paint as it is paper that they have been painting.
they wear aprons but they obviously don't cover much!!
what would you do? i cannot afford to keep replacing her school clothes, i know they aren't that expensive but she now only has 2 shirts for school, i'm really hoping that she doesn't come home covered this afternoon because it has been the last 3 fridays that they have done art.

do i just go and buy more or do i have a word with her teacher? i don't want to embarrass elllie to much!! you know what it like being 11!!
so what do you think i should do?
sue

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue

I can't undersatnd why they are using fabric paint on paper. Ellie can't be the only child who is getting her clothes ruined, so I would definitely have a word with the teacher.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • suzster
    Options
    ellie said that they had run out of normal paint! but surely they shouldn't do painting if they don't have the right paint?!
    thank you for your reply.
    sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sue

Hope you still have the shirts, you could try hairspray.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    What does hair spray do Elna? Does it remove the stain?

Trish
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    ellie said that they had run out of normal paint! but surely they shouldn't do painting if they don't have the right paint?!
    thank you for your reply.
    sue

It seems a waste of resources as well, because fabric paint is more expensive than ordinary paint. They could have done collage pictures instead.

Joan ( Dying to go and sort them out at that school :!: :D )
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • suzster
    Options
    i tried lots of things but none worked. the shirts were covered. so i'd of needed a lot of hairspray! sadly i have thrown 2 out but i have kept one, so what do i do with the hairspray? is it just a case of covering the painted area with it then washing it? please tell!!!
    but i think i will have a word with the school, especially if she has it on her shirt today!
    sue
    (who is also annoyed!!)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    What does hair spray do Elna? Does it remove the stain?

Trish

Hi Trish

I have heard that hairspray removes stains so it would be worth a try.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Sue,

If it is going to work, spray onto the paint, and it should start to loosen and you can pick/scrape the bits off. Keep repeating, spraying and picking the paint off as it loosens.

I would most definitely have a word with the school. Surely Ellie is not the only one to be going home with paint splattered clothes. I would be most incensed. :x

Luv
    Elna x

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    My daughter is in yr 11 & doing art gcse so we have had all sorts of paints on her blazer jumper & trousers worse offender is acrylic paint which is now on a new pr of trousers! Ggrrr so you have my sympathy! Maria x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    My daughter is in yr 11 & doing art gcse so we have had all sorts of paints on her blazer jumper & trousers worse offender is acrylic paint which is now on a new pr of trousers! Ggrrr so you have my sympathy! Maria x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I agree that you should have a word with the school - when working with the younger children we always mixed our paints with washing-up liquid which helped if they did get onto clothes.

One thought about how to avoid problems would be to keep one shirt in her bag and get her to change into that when it is painting.

Or ....... if their aprons are useless (which they sould like they are :roll: ) have you got an old man's shirt you could cut the collar off, cut the sleeves to fit her & give it to your daughter to pop on backwards - the button will keep it from falling off and she will be fully covered - the older ones I taught used to love using them and their parents usually approved too :wink:
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Wonky,

I remember wearing them at school and they worked much better than these aprons my girls now wear at school!

Nx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Sue

Hope you still have the shirts, you could try hairspray.

Luv
    Elna x
    Hi Suzster.
    I had exactly same problem last week.Son got acrylic paint on his school bazer.Luckily my girls told me the hairspray trick.Spray it on then use a toothbrush to scrub it off. It comes off eventually.
    Then he came home with orange paint on his sleeve so has to do that one as well, a;thpugh not had such a good result.
    I had to buy a school apron especially for art but it seems to be of little use
    Regards
    E;izabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Forgot to say. Son had an old shirt on over his blazer but it went through the shirt.
    You have to keep spraying fresh hairspray over the stain and scrubbing until it is gone.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    If you catch the paint soon enough, baby wipes are pretty good.

They clean my brushes up a treat, and I know they get paint off clothes, because I can get more on me some days. They tackly both oil and acrylic paints easily.

Not sure about fabric paint though. I agree that fabric paint is far too expensive so why use it for ordinary paper.

Joy
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thought I should bump this up for Suzster so she doesnt miss it and before she throws anymore school clothing away.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein